Your favorite US Election?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 03:13:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Your favorite US Election?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Your favorite US Election?  (Read 9685 times)
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2009, 10:18:37 PM »

1992 for Ross Perot and "New Democrats", 1960, 1896, 1860 for the same reasons as PiT.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2009, 01:32:27 AM »

I can not decide my favorite US election, but I can definitely say my least favorites: 1856 and 1916.

I bet most of you can guess why.
KuntaKinte
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -0.52

« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2009, 01:43:16 AM »

They all produced interesting maps, i think.
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.58, S: -3.30

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2009, 05:42:52 PM »

The close elections are always interesting.

I'd say 1960, 1968 and 2000.  I'd also throw in 1980 - nobody really expected Reagan to win be the margin he actually had - it was a nail bitter until the final days.
LBJFan
Rookie
United States
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2009, 05:59:48 PM »

My favorite would have to be 1964. However, I also like 1976, 1992, 1996, and 2008. The elections I just mentioned are the ones in which some of my political heroes were elected.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2009, 06:05:11 PM »

Welcome to the Forum Smiley  You have an awesome name Smiley
LBJFan
Rookie
United States
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2009, 06:10:44 PM »

Thank you very much, sir. The world of history/politics/goverment appeals widely to me, and am glad to be here.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2009, 06:22:36 PM »

Welcome LBJFan! Even though I'm a Republican I would have voted LBJ over Goldwater.
LBJFan
Rookie
United States
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2009, 06:24:22 PM »

Thank you for the welcome. I would have, too. I am not only an LBJ Fan, but also a Goldwater opposer. Here is a man who opposed the Civil Rights legislation, and also stuck by Senator Mccarthy even after the false accusations.
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2009, 07:02:23 PM »

Thank you for the welcome. I would have, too. I am not only an LBJ Fan, but also a Goldwater opposer. Here is a man who opposed the Civil Rights legislation, and also stuck by Senator Mccarthy even after the false accusations.

Only because your buddy LBJ slipped a nasty little Affirmative Action clause into that bill.  Goldwater had a very strong Civil Rights record if you haven't looked it up. One bill does not define Goldwater.  In fact, LBJ campaigned in the Deep South off of Goldwater's Civil Rights record.
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2009, 07:09:56 PM »

o i thiks the blue guy has a very strong Civil Rights record.
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2009, 07:16:43 PM »

You cannot classify Goldwater as a bigot. Goldwater desegregated the Arizona National Guard, fought for Homosexual rights in the Military, and I dare anybody to find one racist thing about him.
LBJFan
Rookie
United States
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2009, 07:18:02 PM »

Only because your buddy LBJ slipped a nasty little Affirmative Action clause into that bill.  Goldwater had a very strong Civil Rights record if you haven't looked it up. One bill does not define Goldwater.  In fact, LBJ campaigned in the Deep South off of Goldwater's Civil Rights record.

Another reason I oppose Goldwater is he was a warhawk wanting to nuke Vietnam.

As for campaigning off of Goldwater's record in the deep south, the man was a genius politician.
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2009, 07:19:01 PM »

I dare anybody to find one racist thing about him.

President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2009, 07:20:32 PM »

As for campaigning off of Goldwater's record in the deep south, the man was a genius politician.

And LBJ wasn't?
LBJFan
Rookie
United States
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2009, 07:25:24 PM »

And LBJ wasn't?

Like he wasn't pressured by Republicans to send more troops? He also did try to make peace with the Vietnamese as well.
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2009, 07:27:42 PM »

And LBJ wasn't?

Like he wasn't pressured by Republicans to send more troops? He also did try to make peace with the Vietnamese as well.

Pretty interesting, he campaigned in 1964 on staying out of Vietnam.
LBJFan
Rookie
United States
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2009, 07:32:46 PM »

I realize he did, but like I said, he was pressured to send more.
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2009, 07:37:14 PM »

The Republicans had 140 House Seats in 1964, The Democrats had 295.

The Republicans had 32 Senate Seats in 1964, The Democrats had 68.

The Republicans weren't in a position to pressure sh**t.
LBJFan
Rookie
United States
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2009, 07:39:42 PM »

Perhaps he WAS a War Hawk, but is the lesser of the two evils compared to Goldwater. One of the many things I like about Obama is he wants a nuke-free world. I can't imagine a possible nuclear war in this country. I'd be scared for my life. Sure, maybe we have used nuclear weapons in a war before, and we won. But I don't think it'd have been another WWII if we elected Goldwater and he nuked Vietnam.
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2009, 07:52:03 PM »

Perhaps he WAS a War Hawk, but is the lesser of the two evils compared to Goldwater. One of the many things I like about Obama is he wants a nuke-free world. I can't imagine a possible nuclear war in this country. I'd be scared for my life. Sure, maybe we have used nuclear weapons in a war before, and we won. But I don't think it'd have been another WWII if we elected Goldwater and he nuked Vietnam.

The lesser dick of two dicks is still a dick.
LBJFan
Rookie
United States
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2009, 07:55:14 PM »

If you think about it- aren't we all dicks?
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2009, 07:58:10 PM »

It's general opinion that humans are inherently evil. But since I don't believe in anything like evil, I like to to replace the word EVIL with DICK. So yes, humans are inherently dicks.
Deldem
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -7.74

« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2009, 10:27:27 PM »

I'd say the most intriguing is 1968. This was the beginning of the end of the New Deal Coalition, and started laying the groundwork for the rightward shift. The chaos of the election is a great example of the chaos of the whole year itself.

Another fascinating election is 1980. Not only did Carter manage to totally collapse in about 2 months, it also marked the start of the new era of conservatism.

Yet another favorite is 1932- it was the liberal equivalent of 1980, and featured my personal favorite president ever.

And for the record, LBJ was a dick. Though I love the idea of the Great Society and some of the reforms that came from it, his presidency was totally overshadowed by his Vietnam craziness (which, for the record, he didn't seriously try to end) and the fact that he wasn't a nice man in general, and indeed would stab you in the back if he felt it would get him ahead. Plus, the "Daisy" ad was probably the second most shameless in history (after Willie Horton)
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2009, 12:19:08 AM »

the "Daisy" ad was probably the second most shameless in history

Max Cleland.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies