Your Opinion of Obama going to Copenhagen?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:12:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Your Opinion of Obama going to Copenhagen?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Well
FT - Freedom Thing

HT - Horrible Thing

I hate the Olympics

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 33

Author Topic: Your Opinion of Obama going to Copenhagen?  (Read 2663 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 28, 2009, 11:38:09 AM »

THE WHITE HOUSE

Office of the Press Secretary

President Barack Obama to Travel to Copenhagen
 President will join the First Lady to Support Chicago’s Bid for the 2016 Summer Olympic and Paralympic Games

WASHINGTON – Today, the White House announced that President Barack Obama will travel to Copenhagen, Denmark to support Chicago’s bid for the 2016 Summer Olympic and Paralympic Games at the 121st International Olympic Committee (IOC) Session.  On Friday, October 2nd, IOC members will elect the host city for the 2016 Summer Games.

President Obama will join First Lady Michelle Obama, who will be leading the United States delegation to Copenhagen.  Mrs. Obama will arrive in Copenhagen on Wednesday, September 30, along with Valerie Jarrett, Senior Advisor to President Obama and head of the White House Office on Olympic, Paralympic and Youth Sport.

President Obama will depart Washington on the evening of Thursday, October 1 and arrive in Copenhagen on the morning of October 2 local time, just prior to Chicago’s presentation to the voting members of the IOC. He will arrive back in Washington on Friday afternoon.

President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama will both make presentations to the IOC during Friday’s session.  They will discuss why Chicago is best to host the 2016 Summer Games, and how the United States is eager to bring the world together to celebrate the ideals of the Olympic movement.

While in Denmark, the President and First Lady will meet with Her Majesty the Queen and His Royal Highness, the Prince Consort.  President Obama will also meet with Prime Minister Lars Løkke Rasmussen.

PLEASE NOTE: The White House is not responsible for press credentials for the IOC meeting in Copenhagen.  The credentialing process is being handled by the IOC, and credentialing is closed.

More details will be released when they become available
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 11:41:07 AM »

I'm just happy I'm getting to fund his family's vacations all over the world!
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 11:44:34 AM »

Of course I hate the Olympics.  And I don't much like Chicago either.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 11:47:56 AM »

Dittos, but I'm still glad he's going.  I find it refreshing from the same stuff we read about every day.

Now, what happens if the IOC doesn't give it to him???  Could be a big embarrassment.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 11:50:28 AM »

Dittos, but I'm still glad he's going.  I find it refreshing from the same stuff we read about every day.

Now, what happens if the IOC doesn't give it to him???  Could be a big embarrassment.

He can show up and tell them he needs a win for the political capital to expend on health care.  So if they refuse Chicago they'll be responsible for the painful deaths of millions of American poors.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 11:51:00 AM »

It could be an embarassment, but it's still worth it. Other foreign leaders have been going for years, and rumor has it that Blair's intense lobbying in 2005 is what won it for London.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 01:56:31 PM »

Do the Olympics normally provide an economic shot-in-the-arm for the host nation?  If so, then I certainly approve of the President's trip to Copenhagen.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 02:07:12 PM »

Do the Olympics normally provide an economic shot-in-the-arm for the host nation?  If so, then I certainly approve of the President's trip to Copenhagen.

Paul, from what I can find yes, there is a profit to be made....not so much for the host nation, but the host city for sure.   Plus the host city is left with the infrastructure upgrades that occurred to put on the games.

I wouldn't call it a money maker though.....or a shot in the arm.
Stampever
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 02:23:51 PM »

I don't mind if he's going in the hopes to boost the US economy, but if he's going because he's from Chicago, then I'll be upset.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 02:28:19 PM »

I just hope when he goes there he doesn't pull the usual American Nationalist bull he's been promoting since he got into office.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2009, 02:29:17 PM »

I don't mind if he's going in the hopes to boost the US economy, but if he's going because he's from Chicago, then I'll be upset.

There is no attempt to hide that this is a primary reason.
Stampever
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2009, 03:00:25 PM »

I like it when foreign (to us) nations host the games, since I enjoy their opening ceremonies.  I think Rio would pull off an impressive/colorful show to include their Carnival themes.  Not sure if it would beat the presentation done by China, but I'm sure it would be close.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2009, 03:08:32 PM »

I like it when foreign (to us) nations host the games, since I enjoy their opening ceremonies.  I think Rio would pull off an impressive/colorful show to include their Carnival themes.  Not sure if it would beat the presentation done by China, but I'm sure it would be close.

I would love to see Rio get it too.
ChrisJG777
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -8.00

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2009, 03:32:38 PM »

Ack!  Naff the Olympics I say.  Bloody event takes up all the TV broadcasting slots that could otherwise be used for more worthwhile shows.  Tongue
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2009, 04:21:16 PM »

I would love to see some of those Rio girls!  Tongue
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2009, 06:25:27 PM »

Brazil's economy isn't strong enough to host such an event, plus their infrastructure leaves a lot to be desired.

Chicago is the heavy favorite and Obama's lobbying won't hurt a bit. Whether some like it or not, he is the most popular world leader right now. Even in a country proud for it's anti-Americanism like mine, he is viewed VERY favorably.   
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2009, 07:17:29 PM »

My guess..........they will NEVER deny Obama this with his personal appearance.....done deal
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2009, 11:22:21 PM »

Freedom Thing - I love the Olympics.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2009, 10:20:13 AM »

Boehner blasts Obama's Olympic move
By: Jake Sherman
September 30, 2009 11:02 AM EST

House Minority Leader John Boehner torched President Barack Obama Wednesday for his European trip to pitch the Chicago Olympics bid, criticizing the president for "going to go off to Copenhagen when we've got serious issues here at home that need to be debated."

Obama's trip has been maligned by most Republicans as the health care overhaul remains in a continued state of flux in Congress and the top general in Afghanistan awaits word on a troop increase.

The White House first said it was unlike Obama would go to Denmark because he thought it important to help push health care through Congress.

But earlier this week, the White House announced Obama thought the health care debate was far enough along that he could escape for the day to lobby the International Olympic Committee's voters to bring the games to his home town.

Boehner clearly isn't in that camp.

"Listen I think it's a great idea to promote Chicago but he's the president of the United States, not the mayor of Chicago," Boehner said. "And the problems we have here at home affect all Americans and that's where his attention ought to be."

I never liked this criticism when Bush was jaunting around the globe and I don't' like it now.....WHEREVER the President is, he can devote his attention to whatever he wants anytime he wants.......when he travels the White House travels with him.

This is just bullsh**t.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2009, 10:22:55 AM »

Didn't you know? The Olympics are redolent of Greek mythology and idolatry, and hence should never be held in God's Country again.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2009, 10:36:58 AM »

It seems like a waste of time on it's face but there are other things going on here. I couldn't care less about the actual Olympics though, very boring stuff.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2009, 10:48:47 AM »

Unneccessary. America will get it anyway. They haven't had the Olympics since all the way back in 1996.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2009, 10:50:01 AM »

Unneccessary. America will get it anyway. They haven't had the Olympics since all the way back in 1996.

Uh, because the IOC hates the "Bad Place", Xahar....
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2009, 10:51:33 AM »

But they love/need NBC.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2009, 10:53:01 AM »

But they love/need NBC.

Didn't you know? It's all an international conspiracy - America against, quite literally, everyone else. (The rationale behind this is, of course, secondary to the thrill of paranoia.)
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies