Northeast Assembly Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:17:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast Assembly Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 186 187 188 [189] 190 191 192 193 194 ... 239
Author Topic: Northeast Assembly Thread  (Read 381464 times)
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4700 on: October 02, 2011, 12:09:13 AM »

How about when countries started declaring independence from the Soviet Union?  Gorbachev was a fairly non-oppressive figure who favored "democracy," should he have therefore sent in the Red Army to prevent any part of the Soviet Union from becoming independent, killing people if necessary?

The Soviet Union's system was based on communism and one-party rule, which, and I think you would agree, is oppressive.

I certainly favor peaceful approaches and negotiations being used first.  That would be a preferable option to be used for keeping the union together, and it is one this government would resort to if that ever happened.

"First?"  What happens second?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #4701 on: October 02, 2011, 12:15:31 AM »

How about when countries started declaring independence from the Soviet Union?  Gorbachev was a fairly non-oppressive figure who favored "democracy," should he have therefore sent in the Red Army to prevent any part of the Soviet Union from becoming independent, killing people if necessary?

The Soviet Union's system was based on communism and one-party rule, which, and I think you would agree, is oppressive.

I certainly favor peaceful approaches and negotiations being used first.  That would be a preferable option to be used for keeping the union together, and it is one this government would resort to if that ever happened.

If negotiations fail, then military force would likely be resorted to.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #4702 on: October 02, 2011, 01:16:02 AM »

I agree with wormyguy.

If a population within some sort of political entity wish to secede, there should be nothing to stop such a thing, as long as it is through due process.  Otherwise would be nothing short of tyranny in the highest form.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4703 on: October 02, 2011, 01:38:47 AM »

I agree with wormyguy.

If a population within some sort of political entity wish to secede, there should be nothing to stop such a thing, as long as it is through due process.  Otherwise would be nothing short of tyranny in the highest form.
It's not tyranny at all, as long as the government is not oppressive and goes by the social contract.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4704 on: October 02, 2011, 09:31:26 AM »

Okay, say a majority of the population then refuses to pay taxes, send their children to school, or vote.  What then?
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4705 on: October 02, 2011, 09:40:24 AM »

Okay, say a majority of the population then refuses to pay taxes, send their children to school, or vote.  What then?

The majority don't refuse to do so.  If they want to refuse to vote, that is their right.  The majority in REALITY however, do pay taxes, and do send their children to school.  Government, though it can very often be a hindrance to personal liberty, is also necessary to preserve it.  To say otherwise, in my opinion, is a fallacy.  Now, if a state wishes to seek division through legislative means, fine.  Perhaps we, or I, should make it clear that my argument regards those who should wish to revolt, with arms, in a manner that is prohibited already by the Regions and Atlasia's constitution. 

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4706 on: October 02, 2011, 04:02:58 PM »

Cincinnatus said it best.  You are just changing the subject, now.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4707 on: October 02, 2011, 04:31:43 PM »

The majority don't refuse to do so.  If they want to refuse to vote, that is their right.  The majority in REALITY however, do pay taxes, and do send their children to school.  Government, though it can very often be a hindrance to personal liberty, is also necessary to preserve it.  To say otherwise, in my opinion, is a fallacy.  Now, if a state wishes to seek division through legislative means, fine.  Perhaps we, or I, should make it clear that my argument regards those who should wish to revolt, with arms, in a manner that is prohibited already by the Regions and Atlasia's constitution. 

It does say that?  I checked both constitutions and I couldn't find it.  This bill sets a policy for the Northeast government to keep its union together and not diplomatically recognize states that attempt to secede, so it's a tad different.  A law that simply says "don't rebel" isn't really effective, because states that declare independence wouldn't abide by our laws.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4708 on: October 02, 2011, 08:42:55 PM »

It does say that?  I checked both constitutions and I couldn't find it.  This bill sets a policy for the Northeast government to keep its union together and not diplomatically recognize states that attempt to secede, so it's a tad different.  A law that simply says "don't rebel" isn't really effective, because states that declare independence wouldn't abide by our laws.

It doesn't say the same as your "Resolution", but it includes the states that belong to the Region.  Plus, Federal law directly directly addresses this.  Not that this Resolution has no place, because it's a worthwhile debate in this Assembly.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4709 on: October 03, 2011, 07:42:54 AM »

Answer the question.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4710 on: October 03, 2011, 02:09:34 PM »

Answer the question.
He already did.  Most people do pay taxes and send their children to school.  If they don't want to vote, that's their right.  And in fact, if they choose not to vote, they are to blame for their dissatisfaction with the government.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4711 on: October 03, 2011, 06:15:46 PM »

Answer the question.
He already did.  Most people do pay taxes and send their children to school.  If they don't want to vote, that's their right.  And in fact, if they choose not to vote, they are to blame for their dissatisfaction with the government.

Say they don't pay their taxes or send their kids to school.

(And yes, such things have happened - the aforementioned Soviet example, or Northern Ireland, would be two obvious ones).
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4712 on: October 03, 2011, 07:37:52 PM »

Answer the question.

(And yes, such things have happened - the aforementioned Soviet example, or Northern Ireland, would be two obvious ones).

Then they would be in violation of the law, obviously.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4713 on: October 03, 2011, 07:57:22 PM »

Debate has ended.  The Assembly will now vote on the bill in question.  Voting will last 24 hours.  The final bill reads as follows;

Scott Doctrine

It shall be policy of the Northeast Region that it will ensure, by any means necessary, that its ten states- Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, and Vermont- are embodied together and that each shall be assimilated within the Republic of Atlasia.  States that secede shall receive no diplomatic recognition from the Northeast Region.

Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4714 on: October 03, 2011, 07:58:32 PM »

Sorry I couldn't do this earlier, my power went out around 10:30, and I had to go to work around 12:00.  Either way, at least we got some debate on this, for once.

Aye
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4715 on: October 03, 2011, 08:06:15 PM »

Aye.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #4716 on: October 03, 2011, 08:11:15 PM »

Nay.

I'd usually support this, but there are simply too many possible exceptions.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4717 on: October 03, 2011, 08:17:01 PM »

Nay.

Exceptions which you did not address or offer any amendments for.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4718 on: October 03, 2011, 08:19:00 PM »

Nay.

Sadly, I have to agree with Scott on this.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4719 on: October 03, 2011, 08:46:45 PM »

Answer the question.

And what would you then do about it?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4720 on: October 03, 2011, 09:00:51 PM »

Answer the question.

And what would you then do about it?

...Uh, well, like most lawbreakers, they would then be charged for it, I would assume.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4721 on: October 04, 2011, 01:44:16 AM »

Look, debate is over, just vote, wormyguy.

Aye.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #4722 on: October 04, 2011, 06:05:27 AM »

Nay.

Honestly, I was thinking along the lines of wormyguy--what if a state's people really want to secede?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4723 on: October 04, 2011, 01:46:44 PM »

Nay.

Honestly, I was thinking along the lines of wormyguy--what if a state's people really want to secede?

Here are three good reasons.

1. As stated before, there's simply no reason for a state to secede because none of the governments of Atlasia are depriving anyone of the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.
2. What if someone ran for public office in one of the regions and, say, lost?  If they declare independence for their state, that person could just crown themselves king and basically ruin the point of the game.  This region should discourage that type of behavior by not diplomatically recognizing the independent state.
3. A divided house fails.  If the region dissolves, it loses citizens and thus becomes weaker.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4724 on: October 04, 2011, 01:59:05 PM »

Nay.

Here are three good reasons.

1. As stated before, there's simply no reason for a state to secede because none of the governments of Atlasia are depriving anyone of the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.
2. What if someone ran for public office in one of the regions and, say, lost?  If they declare independence for their state, that person could just crown themselves king and basically ruin the point of the game.  This region should discourage that type of behavior by not diplomatically recognizing the independent state.
3. A divided house fails.  If the region dissolves, it loses citizens and thus becomes weaker.

The Atlasian constitution prohibits both monarchs and secession, so..
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 186 187 188 [189] 190 191 192 193 194 ... 239  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies