Northeast Assembly Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:40:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast Assembly Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 184 185 186 [187] 188 189 190 191 192 ... 239
Author Topic: Northeast Assembly Thread  (Read 381636 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4650 on: September 24, 2011, 11:28:19 PM »

Nay.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4651 on: September 24, 2011, 11:37:14 PM »

Nay
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4652 on: September 25, 2011, 12:21:55 AM »

Nay
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4653 on: September 25, 2011, 12:33:35 AM »

Wormyguy you should say specifically what problems you have with this. Be mature about it.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #4654 on: September 25, 2011, 09:45:52 AM »

Aye
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #4655 on: September 25, 2011, 10:41:58 AM »

Nay
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4656 on: September 25, 2011, 11:20:51 PM »

The Ayes are 1, and Nays are 4.  The bill fails.  

The Assembly will now debate the Laptop Entitlement & Academic Reform Now Act proposed by the Representative from CT.  Debate will last 48 hours.

Laptop Entitlement & Academic Reform Now Act

A BILL to enrich education in the Northeast, by using both public funds and private donations for the creation of a new laptop distribution program.

This bill may be referred to as the LEARN Act.

Section 1.)
1. The Northeast government will accumulate $3.5 billion and fund it into a new program.

2. This program may be referred to the Northeast Student Laptop Distribution Agency (NSLDA).

3. Laptops that are distributed by this program may be obtained by either purchased or donated laptops from private companies.
3a. Private companies that donate laptops are entitled to tax credits per donation.

4. Eight years after the creation of this program, the Northeast government will determine if the NSLDA self-sustainable and whether or not it should be privatized.

Section 2.)
1. The NSLDA will distribute free laptops to students of all public schools in the Northeast (grades 6-12).

2. Parents/guardians of students who apply for a laptop must sign a written agreement to take full responsibility for the maintenance and condition of the laptop, during the time of which the laptop is entrusted with the student.  Parents/guardians must agree to pay all monetary costs if the laptop is damaged, lost, or stolen.

3. The laptops shall be in possession of the students who are enrolled in grades 6-12, and each student is responsible for returning the laptop (or paying all fines which may be owed) to his/her school before he/she graduates.

4. If the student should pay for loss or damage of the laptop, the money will be used to purchase a replacement.

5. Laptops that are returned may be given to future students.

Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4657 on: September 26, 2011, 06:05:44 PM »

Would the sponsor like to take a moment and speak on behalf of his bill?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4658 on: September 26, 2011, 06:35:33 PM »

I have proposed this bill because I believe the technology can play a key role in education in the Northeast.  Last year, a school in Michigan experimented with the idea by giving their students laptops.  Not only was their experiment cheap, as the cost only represented 1.5% of the total education budget, but the laptops resulted in better grades, better critical thinking, research, and writing skills, and increased collaboration among students.  For students with disabilities, they were able to get homework done much faster than they would normally and keep up in their classes.  If we pass this bill, we can modernize education in the Northeast.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #4659 on: September 26, 2011, 08:38:12 PM »

Damnit, sorry for missing another vote.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #4660 on: September 26, 2011, 08:41:29 PM »

http://www.wickedlocal.com/brookline/features/x1896055368/Brookline-Police-computers-stolen-from-second-public-school

http://www.wickedlocal.com/wellesley/news/x1804871418/Disappearance-of-20-000-worth-of-equipment-from-Wellesley-Middle-School-still-a-mystery

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/15500480/60-laptops-stolen-from-waianae-school

http://www.khon2.com/news/local/story/UPDATE-Police-recover-30-laptops-stolen-from/doYR3SJDv0Gl_ZIfVQRR9w.cspx

http://triblocal.com/oak-park-river-forest/2011/09/19/7-laptops-stolen-from-beye-school/

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2011-05-03/news/os-laptops-stolen-lakeland-high-schoo20110503_1_laptops-carts-lakeland-high-school

And this is just recently.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4661 on: September 26, 2011, 08:51:29 PM »

Yes, computer skills are essential for our school children.  However, giving "personal" laptops to 6th graders is an invitation for not only wasted money that could be used in better ways, but a leap of faith.  More importantly, $3.5 billion is a substantial amount of money.  Without looking, I'm sure this is a sizable chunk of our education budget.  To me, the costs far outweigh the benefits.  We would be better off if schools created terminals that students could use to practice their computer skills, research, ect.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4662 on: September 26, 2011, 08:54:10 PM »

If we pursue technology based education costs would have to be offset somehow. Lowering teacher salaries or lay offs. It would require a wholly new approach.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4663 on: September 26, 2011, 11:30:12 PM »

Hence why I said, personal responsibility.  Personally, I've used a laptop computer at the schools I've gone to for four years.  I've never lost it once, because it's never left my sight.  This bill does not mandate laptops for irresponsible students, but students who request them will be asked to take care of them and pay for loss or damage, if necessary.  If the guardian of the child does not believe they are capable of handling a laptop, they don't have to sign the permission slip.

Yes, computer skills are essential for our school children.  However, giving "personal" laptops to 6th graders is an invitation for not only wasted money that could be used in better ways, but a leap of faith.  More importantly, $3.5 billion is a substantial amount of money.  Without looking, I'm sure this is a sizable chunk of our education budget.  To me, the costs far outweigh the benefits.  We would be better off if schools created terminals that students could use to practice their computer skills, research, ect.
I realize now that 6th grade might be a bit too early to give students laptops, and I will be open to amendments that raise the minimum grade level for eligibility.  And if you believe costs are a problem, we can lower the money put into this program, too.  Walled Lake's program cost about $242 per student, or $17 million each year.  It sounds like a lot of money, but as I said, that was less than 1.5% of their education budget.

Schools have terminals, but students don't always have access to those.  Portable laptops would be more convenient.
Username MechaRFK
RFK
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.30

« Reply #4664 on: September 27, 2011, 02:28:51 PM »

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4665 on: September 27, 2011, 06:32:08 PM »

I feel there will be very little debate on this prior to voting, so I am offering a motion to extend debate time by 48 hours.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4666 on: September 27, 2011, 06:36:36 PM »

Perhaps 24 hours would be more suitable?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4667 on: September 27, 2011, 06:44:51 PM »

Sure.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4668 on: September 27, 2011, 06:45:56 PM »

At the written Request of Representative Scott, debate is extended 24 hours.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4669 on: September 27, 2011, 07:01:44 PM »

Thank you.

I am considering amending this bill so that instead of requiring the government to acquire $3.5 billion for the program, it only requires that 1.5% or so of the total education budget is used to fund it.  However, I would like some input by the representatives before I go about doing that.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4670 on: September 27, 2011, 07:08:52 PM »

Two points;

1.  Yes, I'd rather have a percentage. 

2.  I understand laptops is the point of this bill, but I'd rather offer funding for schools to create accessible computer terminals, in which students could sign out computer time, ect.  This would allow students of earlier ages who I don't feel can be responsible for a laptop, to obtain necessary skills in a technological age.  Plus, it would reduce costs that would come from buying quite a large quantity of laptops.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4671 on: September 27, 2011, 07:21:03 PM »

I am amending this bill to change the way the program is funded, and raise the minimum grade level requirement to seven.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Two points;

1.  Yes, I'd rather have a percentage.  

2.  I understand laptops is the point of this bill, but I'd rather offer funding for schools to create accessible computer terminals, in which students could sign out computer time, ect.  This would allow students of earlier ages who I don't feel can be responsible for a laptop, to obtain necessary skills in a technological age.  Plus, it would reduce costs that would come from buying quite a large quantity of laptops.
Many schools already do have computer terminals/labs for students.  I'm not objecting to that idea at all.  But that would be more useful to schools for lower grade levels (K-6), since those students have less of a need for personal laptops.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4672 on: September 28, 2011, 01:25:47 AM »

I would appreciate opinions from people who haven't said anything about the legislation, yet.  I requested more debate time for that reason.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4673 on: September 28, 2011, 02:14:59 PM »

I'd have no problem creating an on-campus technology room/computer terminal.  However, I don't feel we should spend money to give 7-12 graders personal laptops.  I like that we're including laptop donations here, but schools can already accept these donations via school board. 

Computer skills, and technological literacy are essential for today's school children.  I can agree with you that this bill acknowledges an important issue, I just don't agree with the way in which this bill responds to the issue. 

Also, it would be nice if someone in the Assembly besides Scott and myself participated in debate.  I believe we have several members missing a couple vote now, as well as another two that haven't participated in debate for about, oh say, a month?

Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4674 on: September 30, 2011, 10:24:37 AM »

Debate has ended.  The Assembly will now vote on the bill in question.  Voting will last 24 hours.  The final bill reads as follows;

Pages: 1 ... 182 183 184 185 186 [187] 188 189 190 191 192 ... 239  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies