Northeast Assembly Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:09:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast Assembly Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 170 171 172 [173] 174 175 176 177 178 ... 239
Author Topic: Northeast Assembly Thread  (Read 380928 times)
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4300 on: August 08, 2011, 08:53:36 AM »

Seems like an interesting idea.  I'll have to read it again when I'm awake Tongue
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #4301 on: August 08, 2011, 10:25:51 AM »

Is the gentleman from Maine offering amendments to the proposed Constitution?

Why yes.  Yes I am.  Tongue
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4302 on: August 08, 2011, 04:01:36 PM »

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Article II: The Executive

6.  A Governor may be impeached at any time while he or she is in office by the will of two thirds of the Legislative Assembly of the Northeast Region. Impeachment proceedings shall begin when a motion to impeach offered by a Representative is seconded by another Representative, excluding the Representative serving as Lieutenant Governor.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Governor, or any other government officer, can only be impeached for just cause, i.e. the commission of an impeachable offence.  Article II, Section 2 makes no provision for impeachment for just cause. 

It is imperative that it be written into the constitution in Article II, Section 2 to cover impeachment of the Governor for just cause for the commission of an impeachable offence.

The Assembly cannot simply decide to impeach the Governor for no reason.

Therefore, I present the above as an amendment to this proposed constitution.

Normally, for a Governor to be impeached, it would only follow a trial wherein the Governor was found to be guilty of an impeachable offence.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4303 on: August 08, 2011, 04:12:55 PM »

I concur with the Governor's proposed amendment. If he will propose an exact text therefor I will officially introduce it.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4304 on: August 08, 2011, 04:15:47 PM »

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Article II: The Legislature

12. The Lieutenant Governor of the Northeast Region shall be the Representative receiving the most votes in the most recent general election. He or she officially opens and closes the legislative sessions of the Northeast Legislative Assembly and shall ascend to the Governorship if that office becomes vacant for any reason. If the Governor is temporarily absent (no more than ten days), the Lieutenant Governor may exercise the powers of Governor, excluding the ability to sign or veto legislation.

I have a problem with the Lieutenant Governor being the Representative receiving the most votes in the election.  What if the Representative receiving the most votes does not want to become Lieutenant Governor, but wants to be a Representative so he or she can debate and vote on legislation in the Assembly?  

I find the way Article II Section 12 is written to be too restrictive.  It assigns an office to someone who may not want that office.

Personally, I would prefer the Lieutenant Governor to be elected from candidates running for Lieutenant Governor, and in the event no candidates seek this office, that the new Representatives in the Assembly choose the new Lieutenant Governor from amongst themselves.

Therefore, I propose the above amendment to Article II Section 12.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4305 on: August 08, 2011, 04:34:20 PM »

I concur with the Governor's proposed amendment. If he will propose an exact text therefor I will officially introduce it.

Thank you Representative Nathan. 

Article II: The Executive

6.  A Governor may be impeached at any time while he or she is in office by the will of two thirds of the Legislative Assembly of the Northeast Region following having been found guilty of an impeachable offence.  Impeachment proceedings shall begin when a motion to impeach offered by a Representative is seconded by another Representative, excluding the Representative serving as Lieutenant Governor.

Not part of the amendment:  That is assuming of course that a Representative is serving as the Lieutenant Governor.  If the office of Lieutenant Governor is elected as Lieutenant Governor in the election, then "excluding the Representative serving as Lieutenant Governor" will no longer part of Article II Section 6.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4306 on: August 08, 2011, 04:44:11 PM »
« Edited: August 08, 2011, 10:58:10 PM by Northeast Governor Winfield »

Article I: The Region

The administrative center for the government of the Northeast Region established in this Constitution shall be Hartford, Connecticut.

I have no problem with the new capital of the Northeast Region being established in Hartford.  It is close to home.  Smiley

(Some humor from the Governor)
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4307 on: August 08, 2011, 05:06:07 PM »

I hereby move that we amend Article II, Section 6 to read as follows.

A Governor may be impeached at any time while he or she is in office by the will of two thirds of the Legislative Assembly of the Northeast Region following having been found guilty of an impeachable offence.  Impeachment proceedings shall begin when a motion to impeach offered by a Representative is seconded by another Representative, excluding the Representative serving as Lieutenant Governor.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #4308 on: August 08, 2011, 08:36:39 PM »

These proposals obviously conflict with mine.  I thank the governor and the fellow from (Massachusetts?) for their input.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4309 on: August 08, 2011, 08:55:18 PM »

What can we agree on as an amendment?  4 members with Lt. Gov, 5 members without, 3 members (w/ or w/o ?).  Either way I'll introduce an amendment because I don't like having 5 members and a Lt. Gov.  Nor do I like having the Lt. Gov be the member with the most votes. 

Sorry Napoleon.  I know I've made my opinion aware on this point, but I never really posted in your thread about this before introduction. 

For the record, I will be supporting Morgans amendment to keep the Capital in NY, but will likely not support his other amendment.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #4310 on: August 08, 2011, 09:42:42 PM »

What can we agree on as an amendment?  4 members with Lt. Gov, 5 members without, 3 members (w/ or w/o ?).  Either way I'll introduce an amendment because I don't like having 5 members and a Lt. Gov.  Nor do I like having the Lt. Gov be the member with the most votes. 

Sorry Napoleon.  I know I've made my opinion aware on this point, but I never really posted in your thread about this before introduction. 

For the record, I will be supporting Morgans amendment to keep the Capital in NY, but will likely not support his other amendment.

The amendment would replace the current executive -- governor and lieutenant governor.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #4311 on: August 08, 2011, 09:54:37 PM »

I also don't want the Lieutenant Governor's position to be contingent upon an irrelevant statistic. As I've said, I would prefer three representatives with no Lieutenant Governor. I don't really see how the office could be made useful at this point, and I'd like to see it abolished regardless of how many members the Assembly has.

As a compromise, perhaps it would be acceptable to name, for example, Hartford the region's executive capitol, New York the legislative capitol and Philadelphia the judicial capitol.

I can't support this amendment because you've misspelled "capitol" and eliminated PA and DE from the region! Grin

As to your other amendment, FallenMorgan, I am wary of melding the Assembly and the office of the Governor. That said, you brought up an important point. It may be useful to permit citizen referenda on Assembly legislation. If we are going to decrease the Assembly's size, we should be sure to increase citizens' participation in lawmaking.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #4312 on: August 08, 2011, 10:01:11 PM »

I can't support this amendment because you've misspelled "capitol" and eliminated PA and DE from the region! Grin

Oh yeah, I forgot about them.  *embarrassed*

As to your concerns, there is still an independent judiciary to serve as a check on the Consulate.  Plus, the three Consuls in a way might serve as a check against one another.  And then of course, there's the people.

I just thought it would be an interesting answer to the problem of a limited number of elected officials.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4313 on: August 08, 2011, 11:03:21 PM »

For the record, I have no problem with 5 Representatives.

The Assembly needs to have debate and input, and I believe 5 active Representatives could provide the necessary diversity of viewpoints and debate for legislation to be considered from a variety of individuals.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4314 on: August 08, 2011, 11:24:17 PM »

I would ideally like 4 Representatives and a Lieutenant Governor, but would be content with 5 and no Lieutenant Governor.

Also, Mr Speaker: 'capital' is the correct spelling for the city that serves as a country's seat of government (derived from Latin capus, head); 'capitol' is the correct spelling for the building or complex that provides the primary public space used for the activities of said government (derived from the name of the Capitoline Hill in Rome, which doesn't have the same etymology). I apologize if this correction is deemed desultory, but the Senator's original usage is correct.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #4315 on: August 08, 2011, 11:26:35 PM »

We should have an odd number of members in the legislature.  It would prevent votes from potentially being ties all the time.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4316 on: August 09, 2011, 02:50:34 AM »

In that case I would support five, with no Lieutenant Governor.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #4317 on: August 09, 2011, 07:51:51 AM »

Also, Mr Speaker: 'capital' is the correct spelling for the city that serves as a country's seat of government (derived from Latin capus, head); 'capitol' is the correct spelling for the building or complex that provides the primary public space used for the activities of said government (derived from the name of the Capitoline Hill in Rome, which doesn't have the same etymology). I apologize if this correction is deemed desultory, but the Senator's original usage is correct.

Not in the slightest. The Speaker stands corrected (thanks for the etymology, by the way).

In that case I would support five, with no Lieutenant Governor.

That's a fair solution.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #4318 on: August 09, 2011, 11:09:51 AM »

I would prefer to keep the number of Representatives as is.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #4319 on: August 09, 2011, 09:27:15 PM »

Time for debate has expired. The following amendments will now come to a vote:

FallenMorgan's first amendment:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

FallenMorgan's second amendment:

Nathan's amendment to Article II, sec. 6:

Members will vote aye or nay on each amendment. This vote will last 24 hours.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #4320 on: August 09, 2011, 09:49:56 PM »

1. Nay
2. Nay
3. Aye
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4321 on: August 09, 2011, 09:51:58 PM »

Nay
Nay
Aye
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #4322 on: August 09, 2011, 09:54:13 PM »

1. Nay
2. Nay
3. Aye
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #4323 on: August 09, 2011, 10:14:26 PM »

Aye
Aye
Aye
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4324 on: August 10, 2011, 03:12:52 AM »

Nay
Nay
Aye
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 170 171 172 [173] 174 175 176 177 178 ... 239  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length