Northeast Assembly Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:40:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast Assembly Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 168 169 170 [171] 172 173 174 175 176 ... 239
Author Topic: Northeast Assembly Thread  (Read 381114 times)
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4250 on: August 03, 2011, 11:22:48 AM »

While the 'RAH RAH SCREW YOU CHINA, WE'RE GOING TO MAKE OUR GOVERNMENT EVEN MORE OPPRESSIVE THAN YOURS!  THAT'LL SHOW YOU CHINESE ASSHOLES!' argument is no doubt a convincing one, I fail to see how it's relevant.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Well, if you look at the actual evidence, the aforementioned country of Portugal (since you seem not to like China) has a much higher rate of alcohol consumption among adults, due to cultural differences, yet a much lower rate of alcohol consumption among minors.  The reason is obvious - if you tell a teenager not to do something, then it becomes an irresistable urge for them to do just that.  Teenagers will always get their hands on alcohol, and are far more likely to abuse it when it is made a forbidden fruit.  It is far more reasonable simply to allow them to learn how to be casual, social drinkers who drink in moderation, rather than giving them the temptation to go to binge drinking parties.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #4251 on: August 03, 2011, 11:46:08 AM »

I agree with wormyguy.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4252 on: August 03, 2011, 12:34:40 PM »

I agree in the sense that this is why I wanted to ask earlier if we could please clarify whether or not we mean this to imply any sort of restriction on consumption of alcohol by people younger than the minimum age of purchase. Again, I don't think this should be the case.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4253 on: August 03, 2011, 12:55:37 PM »

I made sure when I wrote this bill that it was to apply only to purchasing alcohol. Wormyguy is throwing this entire debate off the tracks, whether deliberately or due to a misreading of this bill.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4254 on: August 03, 2011, 12:56:39 PM »

I would remind the honorable gentleman from Massadhusetts, Wormyguy, that the use of any type of profane or objectionable language is completely unacceptable in the Northeast Assembly.

The member is to withdraw his objectionable language and apologize to the Assembly.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4255 on: August 03, 2011, 12:58:50 PM »

Do I have any support in this Assembly to have the legal age whereby anyone can purchase alcohol from any establishment that sells alcohol is to be 21 years of age?

Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4256 on: August 03, 2011, 01:16:04 PM »

You don't.  Nor do you have the authority to demand wormyguy withdraw his statement and apologize to this assembly. 

Let me make this clear, I want the age to buy alcohol at 18.  Whether consumption becomes an issue means little to me.  To wormyguy; China became relevant through your reference. 
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4257 on: August 03, 2011, 01:36:02 PM »

The Governor doesn't need authorization to request civility during debate. Instead, we should all strive to meet the standards that Governor Winfield expects, regardless of our position.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4258 on: August 03, 2011, 04:05:04 PM »

Nor do you have the authority to demand wormyguy withdraw his statement and apologize to this assembly. 

Then the Speaker should act on this completely unacceptable behavior.  It's a little something called parliamentary procedure.  No objectionable language is acceptable in any law making body, ever. Period.

I ask the Speaker to deal with this situation.  It is certainly within his authority to address this matter and correct it.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4259 on: August 03, 2011, 04:09:32 PM »

Let me make this clear, I want the age to buy alcohol at 18.  Whether consumption becomes an issue means little to me.    

Then I leave my amendment at age 18.  I trust that compromise will find a concensus in the Assembly.

The age of 18 applies to any sale of any alcohol from any estblishment that sells alcohol, liquor stores, restaurants, lounges, bars, etc.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4260 on: August 03, 2011, 04:10:45 PM »

The Governor doesn't need authorization to request civility during debate. Instead, we should all strive to meet the standards that Governor Winfield expects, regardless of our position.

Thank you Senator Napoleon.  Your statement is common sense.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4261 on: August 03, 2011, 04:24:06 PM »

Nor do you have the authority to demand wormyguy withdraw his statement and apologize to this assembly. 

Then the Speaker should act on this completely unacceptable behavior.  It's a little something called parliamentary procedure.  No objectionable language is acceptable in any law making body, ever. Period.

I ask the Speaker to deal with this situation.  It is certainly within his authority to address this matter and correct it.

I completely agree with you.  I just wasn't aware whether or not you assumed you could make such a demand.  Though, if it were a request (I can't hear tone), you're completely able to do so.

The remark about my intention for 18 was towards Napoleon, who already said that he didn't intend for this to be about consumption.  Debate was somewhat sidetracked, and we've basically come to an agreement that this bill deserves support, minus the age question.  When it's time to vote on the amendment, I will vote Aye for age 18.  It seems to me with this amendment, this bill is quite passable.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4262 on: August 03, 2011, 07:10:12 PM »

While I still maintain that I would be more enthusiastic about this bill if there was a stated opening time included and an earlier closing time for weeknights, I will gladly vote Aye if the amendment to change the figure 16 to 18 in section 1 is carried.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4263 on: August 03, 2011, 07:14:49 PM »

I suggested 6 AM for opening as I had forgot to include that. I suggest offering an amendment, as you are right about it being a necessary change.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #4264 on: August 03, 2011, 07:53:19 PM »

The Chair does not recognize the unparliamentary language of the honorable member from Massachusetts, Mr Wormyguy. If the gentleman wishes his opinions to be considered by this house, he will phrase them in a way which upholds a certain respect for the opinions of others.

The Speaker notes that the following bill and two amendments to it have been submitted:

Original text as proposed by Napoleon/Dallasfan

Amended text as proposed by Assemblyman Nathan

Amended text as proposed by Assemblyman FallenMorgan

The Chair does not recognize amendments made to this bill from Governor Winfield, since he is not a member of the Assembly. Please note Section 3b of SOAP:

If a member wishes to offer amendments in the Governor's stead, he is welcome to do so, but let it be clear that the Assembly will only consider the above two amendments at this point.

Debate will last until roughly 11 AM tomorrow morning, at which time a 24 hour vote on amendments to the bill under consideration will commence.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4265 on: August 03, 2011, 08:44:51 PM »

Nathan or Cincinnatus, or anyone else who supports my amendments, would you be willing to put forward my two amendments to this bill so they can be voted on?

Thank you.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #4266 on: August 03, 2011, 08:57:08 PM »

I would be happy to introduce your amendments, Winfield - even though I don't necessarily agree with them, they contain ideas which deserve to be considered.

Amendment:

Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4267 on: August 03, 2011, 08:58:10 PM »

They should be introduced separately IMO.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4268 on: August 03, 2011, 09:00:22 PM »
« Edited: August 03, 2011, 10:36:42 PM by Nathan »

I would like to put forward a version of the bill that contains 18 as a minimum age but keeps 8-2 as the hours of operation for all days of the week. While I agree with the Governor's proposals, I would like there to be a version that contains the age amendment (which I view as both more important and more likely to pass) without the weekday night amendment (which I support but which I do not want to sink the age amendment).

Amendment:

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4269 on: August 03, 2011, 10:03:01 PM »

Thank you Nathan.

I agree, the age amendment is the most important of the two.

As I have said earlier, if both amendments pass, I would be happy with that, but if just the age 18 amendment passes, I would as well be happy with that.

One cannot always expect to win everything one would like.  That is what compromise is all about. 
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #4270 on: August 04, 2011, 12:17:46 AM »

So...amendment with the most votes wins, or...?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4271 on: August 04, 2011, 03:41:40 AM »

Should we vote on age (16 or 18) and time (12/2 or 2) separately? That's how I'd do it.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #4272 on: August 04, 2011, 07:45:40 AM »
« Edited: August 04, 2011, 07:56:26 AM by La cuisine laide »

To be clear, we have four amendments to vote on. Nathan's first sets an 8AM opening time but does not change the age or closing time. His second sets an 8AM opening time and increases the age to 18. Homelycooking's amendment changes the hours to 8AM-12PM on weekdays and increases the age to 18. FallenMorgan's amendment does away with the original bill's section 1 entirely.

Original text as proposed by Napoleon/Dallasfan

Amended text as proposed by Assemblyman Nathan (first amendment)

Amended text as proposed by Assemblyman FallenMorgan

Amended text as proposed by Assemblyman homelycooking

Amended text as proposed by Assemblyman Nathan (second amendment)

Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #4273 on: August 04, 2011, 11:06:54 AM »

It would be reasonable to vote on age and time and my amendment separately.  So, I agree with Representative Nathan.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #4274 on: August 04, 2011, 12:00:38 PM »

Time for debate has expired. Members will vote on the following:

1. whether to (a) set store hours to 8AM to 2AM on all days (Nathan #1), (b) set them to 8AM to 2AM on Saturday and Friday and from 8 AM to 12 PM on all other days (Homelycooking), or (c) keep the original hours of "until 2AM" (no amendment) - vote for a, b, or c.
2. whether to increase purchasing age to 18 (Nathan #2, Homelycooking)- vote aye or nay.
3. whether to eliminate section 1 of the original bill in its entirety (FallenMorgan) - vote aye or nay.

This will be a 24 hour vote.
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 168 169 170 [171] 172 173 174 175 176 ... 239  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies