Northeast Assembly Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:39:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast Assembly Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 161 162 163 [164] 165 166 167 168 169 ... 239
Author Topic: Northeast Assembly Thread  (Read 381253 times)
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4075 on: July 07, 2011, 07:05:03 PM »

Winfields concerns are my biggest problem with this bill.  The fact that three people declared for Assembly last time, and seven seats were to be filled is a problem.  If there was competition during elections, I could see such an Act working.  However, this will likely leave seats open, declared candidates will automatically be elected, and the CJO will have to create special elections to fill the seats.  Again, this comes back to the need to reduce the Assembly size Tongue
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #4076 on: July 07, 2011, 08:39:09 PM »

At least if there are no declared candidates or no candidates declaring they will be write in candidates, if general write ins are allowed, as under current law, that office would be filled.

It may be that potential candidates do not declare because they know that if no one else does, there is no need to. If my bill passes, those candidates would be required to declare. I'm not convinced that being required to do this will stop candidates from seeking office.

The Assembly was designed to elect Representatives proportionally as opposed to through special elections. This law would exacerbate our problems by essentially guaranteeing that all declared candidates win, even if voters prefer a late entry write in.

I do not believe that "late-entry" should be allowed to encompass the days during which the election is being held.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4077 on: July 07, 2011, 10:05:52 PM »
« Edited: July 07, 2011, 10:09:14 PM by Northeast Governor Winfield »

Nevertheless, no matter the spin put on this bill, it has a very major flaw, in that it could, potentially, leave an office or offices unfilled, as there is always the possibility that for a certain office or for certain offices, that no one will declare, therefore, leaving that office vacant, necessatating a special election, and special elections are something we want to avoid wherever possible.

And then the issue becomes, what if no one declares for the special election?  

Won't happen you say?  It is always a possibility, and this bill does not address this possibility.  

This bill simply falls short in addressing these issues, and, in my view, fails the democracy test.

Even in the real world, write ins are allowed.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #4078 on: July 07, 2011, 10:22:53 PM »

Nevertheless, no matter the spin put on this bill, it has a very major flaw, in that it could, potentially, leave an office or offices unfilled, as there is always the possibility that for a certain office or for certain offices, that no one will declare, therefore, leaving that office vacant, necessatating a special election, and special elections are something we want to avoid wherever possible.

And then the issue becomes, what if no one declares for the special election?  

Won't happen you say?  It is always a possibility, and this bill does not address this possibility.  

This bill simply falls short in addressing these issues, and, in my view, fails the democracy test.

Even in the real world, write ins are allowed.

Write-ins are allowed in the real world, sure, but not before the write-in candidates submit the necessary paperwork, signatures, etc. to become official write-in candidates. A candidate who did not take this step in the real world would not be permitted to take office even if he recieved the majority of the votes. A majority of voters, voting for Mickey Mouse for president, will not elect Mickey Mouse because he did not (and cannot) declare his candidacy.

What is the "democracy test", in your view?

You make a valid point, however, about unfilled offices. Indeed, my bill doesn't address this, as you've said. If no one declares their candidacy for an office, then I believe that sends a signal to the regional government that that office should be consolidated or otherwise done away with. In the mean time, a special election should be held. That would give anyone who observed that that office was up for grabs the opportunity to declare their candidacy and win that position. If no one declares for the special election, hold another one or abolish the office. The answer to a government so big that no one wants to run for its myriad offices is not to lower the standards of democracy - it is to shrink that government by eliminating those unnecessary positions.

homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #4079 on: July 07, 2011, 11:01:34 PM »

The time allotted for debate on this measure has expired. Members will vote aye or nay on the bill at question. This will be a 24 hour vote ending at midnight tomorrow.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #4080 on: July 08, 2011, 10:08:28 AM »

Nay
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #4081 on: July 08, 2011, 10:12:32 AM »

Aye
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #4082 on: July 08, 2011, 05:40:20 PM »

Nay
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #4083 on: July 08, 2011, 05:48:12 PM »

I don't think what homely said is true at all. In real life, you don't have to be a declared write-in in order to win an election. If more people write-in your name than vote for the declared candidates on the ballot, you win.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #4084 on: July 08, 2011, 08:58:52 PM »

Aye
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #4085 on: July 08, 2011, 11:18:22 PM »
« Edited: July 08, 2011, 11:19:53 PM by La cucina brutta »

On the previous question the ayes are two; the nays are two. It will be up to acting Lt. Governor Winfield to break the tie.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4086 on: July 08, 2011, 11:44:45 PM »

On the previous question the ayes are two; the nays are two. It will be up to acting Lt. Governor Winfield to break the tie.

Can you guys recommend a Lt. Governor already? This should have been first priority. If I didn't know how Winfield would break the tie, I would threaten a lawsuit.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4087 on: July 09, 2011, 01:09:42 AM »

Nay
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #4088 on: July 09, 2011, 08:13:10 AM »
« Edited: July 09, 2011, 08:16:21 AM by La cucina brutta »

On the previous question the ayes are two and the nays are three; the motion is not agreed to.

The House will now consider the next bill in the queue.

Natural Beauty Preservation Act

No billboard advertisements may be placed along roads, highways, freeways, or interstates in areas classified as rural.
Municipalities shall have the power to ban billboards within their jurisdiction.

Debate will last 48 hours, beginning now and lasting through to 9 AM Monday morning.

Members are also reminded that a recommendation for Lieutenant Governor is needed. Should any new business arise regarding the recommendation, feel free to discuss it during the debate if necessary.
Elyski
elyski729
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.70, S: -8.00

« Reply #4089 on: July 09, 2011, 03:32:34 PM »

Well I'm back. Did I miss anything?
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #4090 on: July 09, 2011, 05:38:50 PM »

Yes.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4091 on: July 09, 2011, 08:13:22 PM »

In the future, remember to make a leave of absence thread.  Currently we are debating the piece of legislation HC has posted.

Napoleon, could you please explain (I know you did once already) why I should support the first half?  I can support municipalities having the power to ban billboards, but why should I support an out-right ban for them in rural areas?

In regards to the Lt. Gov position;

I'd like to recommend someone, but it's clear our options outside of already elected officials are thin.  If it pleases the Assembly, I'd like to recommend Napoleon so that Winfield is free to appoint a Lt. Gov.   

Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #4092 on: July 09, 2011, 08:35:08 PM »

I propose the following amendment.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

It seems fairer and simpler to me, to simply give local governments the power to ban billboards.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4093 on: July 09, 2011, 08:40:12 PM »

I agree with the amendment made by Morgan.  I can't support an outright ban of such billboards, but I'm willing to give municipalities the ability to do so.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #4094 on: July 09, 2011, 10:00:07 PM »

I would support a ban on all billboards in rural areas, but another problem that would arise would be the necessity of establishing a meaningful and effective definition of "rural". I can accept the amendment by FM.

Does Atlasia have an interstate commerce clause in its constitution? If so, such legislation as the one we're debating might be unconstitutional.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4095 on: July 09, 2011, 11:30:20 PM »

Its perfectly constitutional in America...
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4096 on: July 09, 2011, 11:33:40 PM »

Its perfectly constitutional in America...

This is not America?..
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4097 on: July 09, 2011, 11:59:34 PM »

Come on. You're smarter than this.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4098 on: July 10, 2011, 12:14:31 AM »

I welcome your questioning of my intelligence outside of this thread, but let's avoid turning this into every other thread on the Atlasia boards. 
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4099 on: July 10, 2011, 12:24:38 AM »

Back to the bill;

I will support the amendment made by FallenMorgan, but will not vote Aye on the current bill. 
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 161 162 163 [164] 165 166 167 168 169 ... 239  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies