Northeast Assembly Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:28:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast Assembly Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 159 160 161 [162] 163 164 165 166 167 ... 239
Author Topic: Northeast Assembly Thread  (Read 380864 times)
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4025 on: July 02, 2011, 10:41:31 PM »
« edited: July 02, 2011, 11:05:13 PM by La cucina brutta »

It shall not. Without objection, I withdraw that bill from consideration.

The Assembly shall now consider the following bill, proposed by the gentleman from New York, Mr. Marokai Blue. Though the gentleman no longer is a member of this body, it is only proper that his bill, proposed during his tenure as a Northeast Assemblyman, is considered.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I have invited Mr. Marokai to speak on behalf of his bill. Otherwise, the floor is open for debate, which shall last for 48 hours.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #4026 on: July 02, 2011, 10:51:33 PM »

A Note from the Speaker

While the bill is being considered, any new information regarding the appointment of a new Lt. Governor will gladly recieve an audience on the floor.

In the interest of time, members, should you wish to truncate the period of time allotted for debate or voting, please indicate your desire by declaring "Motion to suspend SOAP 3a/3d/3f", etc. The Assembly will then consider your motion.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #4027 on: July 02, 2011, 11:06:28 PM »

I thank you for the invitation to speak about this bill. Smiley

Though I realize I can no longer vote in this Assembly, I still believe this is something that should be passed and swiftly. This bill would repeal the Clause of the "Amendments to the Northeast Gun Safety Act" that pertains to additional penalties just for the criminal having a gun as an "instrument" in a crime.

I don't believe it is this Assembly's place, or any legislature's place for that matter, to dictate additional penalties for crimes based on the smaller details of that crime. Should we add an extra punishment for the use of a blunt weapon? Or what about adding an extra year for the use of a knife in a crime? Making this special exception just for guns, I believe, is silly, and wrong.

Another problem is the fact that, aside from us stepping on the judiciary's toes here when we shouldn't be, the clause itself is incredibly vague. "Whenever a gun is used as an instrument in a crime" could mean literally anything. It could count simply threatening someone with a gun, or hitting someone with the side of a gun, etc. This essentially means that whenever there's a gun connected to any crime whatsoever, the person in question immediately gets five years slapped onto his sentence.

What if it was something as comparatively small as shoplifting? Instead of spending a few days or months in jail or paying a hefty fine, if you were carrying or threatened someone with a gun, you're suddenly in jail for years just because you carried a gun when you tried to steal a CD.

I believe that this clause should either be much more narrowly written, or stricken down entirely. Preferably, the latter. I am very supportive of sensible gun control and gun safety measures, but this is absolutely the wrong approach and could have a ton of unintended consequences.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4028 on: July 02, 2011, 11:59:56 PM »

In regard to the bill;

I agree that the language is vague, and while I agree that gun safety is important, this specific clause does not have my support.  I motion to suspend SOAP 3a, 3d, 3f, in order to decrease debate time 12 hours.

In regards to the Lt. Gov position;

Due to the fact that many either have stopped paying attention, or don't want the position, it seems this has become a problem in recommending someone.  I thought dallasfan would make a good recommendation, but Winfield messaged him and he was not interested.  Nik's name was thrown out, and that's not a possibility.  I messaged another possibly interested person, but for reasons known to him and myself, I don't think it's possible.  I think at this point, if anyone in the Northeast is willing, they should make themselves known to the Assembly.   
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #4029 on: July 03, 2011, 08:18:49 AM »

I agree that the language is vague, and while I agree that gun safety is important, this specific clause does not have my support.  I motion to suspend SOAP 3a, 3d, 3f, in order to decrease debate time 12 hours.

On the motion to suspend SOAP 3a, 3d and 3f by the gentleman from New York, please vote aye or nay. This vote will last 24 hours, per SOAP, and will be concurrent with debate on the "The Crime is What Actually Matters Act".
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4030 on: July 03, 2011, 09:11:26 AM »

Aye
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #4031 on: July 03, 2011, 07:26:16 PM »

Aye
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #4032 on: July 03, 2011, 07:33:59 PM »

I would acquiesce to the Lieutenant Governorship, but am expecting a trial soon (that I shall plead guilty to) so I wouldn't be of use for very long.

Not sure if this matter was resolved - why not appoint Marokai? His move to Iowa isn't valid for quite some time.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4033 on: July 03, 2011, 07:38:02 PM »

I talked to Marokai and I don't think it's possible for me to recommend him.  Of course, I can't stop others from recommending him.  I just think we need someone else.  It's becoming quite evident why HC wants to get rid of the position Tongue
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4034 on: July 03, 2011, 07:54:31 PM »

I talked to Marokai and I don't think it's possible for me to recommend him.  Of course, I can't stop others from recommending him.  I just think we need someone else.  It's becoming quite evident why HC wants to get rid of the position Tongue

Ahem.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4035 on: July 03, 2011, 08:00:13 PM »

I talked to Marokai and I don't think it's possible for me to recommend him.  Of course, I can't stop others from recommending him.  I just think we need someone else.  It's becoming quite evident why HC and Napoleon wants to get rid of the position Tongue

Ahem.

Was that ahem because I messaged Marokai, or because I made a mistake and didn't say you wanted to get rid of the Lt. Gov position.  Either way, I'm sure your position is well-known and I changed it for you Smiley
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4036 on: July 03, 2011, 08:02:32 PM »

I talked to Marokai and I don't think it's possible for me to recommend him.  Of course, I can't stop others from recommending him.  I just think we need someone else.  It's becoming quite evident why HC and Napoleon wants to get rid of the position Tongue

Ahem.

Was that ahem because I messaged Marokai, or because I made a mistake and didn't say you wanted to get rid of the Lt. Gov position.  Either way, I'm sure your position is well-known and I changed it for you Smiley

HC wanted to keep the position and I still want to abolish the useless distraction.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4037 on: July 03, 2011, 08:10:08 PM »

I talked to Marokai and I don't think it's possible for me to recommend him.  Of course, I can't stop others from recommending him.  I just think we need someone else.  It's becoming quite evident why HC and Napoleon wants to get rid of the position Tongue

Ahem.

Was that ahem because I messaged Marokai, or because I made a mistake and didn't say you wanted to get rid of the Lt. Gov position.  Either way, I'm sure your position is well-known and I changed it for you Smiley

HC wanted to keep the position and I still want to abolish the useless distraction.

Ahh.. Thanks for clarifying.  I was under the assumption HC wanted to make it relevant or abolish it if that couldn't be done.  Nonetheless, it was you that publicly wanted to get rid of the position, so glad we clarified.

Edit:  There's still a vote going on.  Sorry for interrupting it Smiley

homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #4038 on: July 03, 2011, 08:24:12 PM »

I was under the assumption HC wanted to make it relevant or abolish it if that couldn't be done.  Nonetheless, it was you that publicly wanted to get rid of the position, so glad we clarified.

That's true. I want the Lt. Governor position to be made useful if possible or to be abolished if necessary.
Napoleon, however, has always favored eliminating that position.

Edit:  There's still a vote going on.  Sorry for interrupting it Smiley

I wouldn't worry so much about that, unless you expect Elyski/FM/wormy to show up.

Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #4039 on: July 03, 2011, 08:26:04 PM »

I have no idea what's going on here.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4040 on: July 03, 2011, 08:43:34 PM »

We're currently voting on suspending the rules in order to decrease debate time 12 hours.  Vote Aye to decrease, or vote Nay.

The debate is on clause 2 of the "Amendments to the Northeast Gun Safety Act" which reads as follows;

Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #4041 on: July 03, 2011, 08:54:03 PM »

The clause should be removed.  I for once agree with Marokai.

And as for decreasing debate time, my vote would have to be no.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4042 on: July 03, 2011, 08:59:15 PM »

See? We can find common ground. Tongue
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #4043 on: July 03, 2011, 09:01:19 PM »

See? We can find common ground. Tongue

Indeed.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #4044 on: July 04, 2011, 08:37:08 AM »

On the motion to suspend SOAP 3a, 3d and 3f by the gentleman from New York, please vote aye or nay. This vote will last 24 hours, per SOAP, and will be concurrent with debate on the "The Crime is What Actually Matters Act".

The ayes are two and the nays are three. The motion has not achieved the support of a majority of the members of this assembly; therefore it is not agreed to. (Note: SOAP instructs absences and abstensions in votes to be counted as nays)

Debate on the "The Crime is What Actually Matters Act" will continue until 11:41 this evening.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #4045 on: July 04, 2011, 11:34:52 PM »

The Crime is What Actually Matters Act will now come to a vote. All those in favor, signify by saying aye; those opposed, nay. This will be a 24-hour vote.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4046 on: July 04, 2011, 11:37:25 PM »

Aye
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4047 on: July 04, 2011, 11:39:11 PM »

I offer my name for recommendation for the position of Lt. Governor.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4048 on: July 04, 2011, 11:42:24 PM »

Uh, and give up being Senator?
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4049 on: July 04, 2011, 11:44:22 PM »

Uh, and give up being Senator?

I don't think we have any rule forbidding it so it's a legitimate recommendation.
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 159 160 161 [162] 163 164 165 166 167 ... 239  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies