Northeast Assembly Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:19:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast Assembly Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 154 155 156 [157] 158 159 160 161 162 ... 239
Author Topic: Northeast Assembly Thread  (Read 381021 times)
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3900 on: June 15, 2011, 07:24:46 PM »

I prefer accomplishing what needs to be done even if I don't like the sponsor of the law.

That was unnecessary. Our personal relationship has nothing to do with this.

Cincinnatus has the right idea as to specifying which rights Section 1 refers to. I would support those changes, and I believe that section 2 of the amendments needs to be repealed outright.

Also, the original NE Gun Safety Act contains this section:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Unless you'd like to address this in your bill, Napoleon, I am willing to introduce legislation that would make "check customer identity" more clear - presumably by writing in references to driver's licenses, identification cards and the like. As it stands, salespersons are not explicitly required to use any documents at all to verify a customer's identity.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3901 on: June 15, 2011, 08:40:57 PM »

@hc: that bit was not at all meant to refer to you.

@Marokai: offering amendments usually works better than acting like a third grader in this Assembly.

Anyone else think that holding debate open longer at hc's request expecting an amendment or something is just terrible inactivity on my part?
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3902 on: June 15, 2011, 09:02:38 PM »

Well.. I don't wrong you for waiting in expectations for an amendment.  We should however, try and stick to a timeline when someone requests a 24 hour extension.

My amendment is as follows regarding section 1;

homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #3903 on: June 15, 2011, 09:16:19 PM »

I never intended to propose an amendment to Napoleon's bill when I requested the extension of the debate - I only wanted to make sure that the discussion we were having was not abruptly terminated. I do, however, want to propose an amendment to the original NE Gun Safety Act, but since the bill being considered amends the amendments to the original bill and not the bill itself, it wouldn't be fitting to bring it up here.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3904 on: June 15, 2011, 09:33:55 PM »

Well.. I don't wrong you for waiting in expectations for an amendment.  We should however, try and stick to a timeline when someone requests a 24 hour extension.

My amendment is as follows regarding section 1;

Accepted. Unless there's anything else, I will have a final amendment before the vote.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3905 on: June 16, 2011, 06:14:37 PM »

I have no further amendments to offer but, is this passable with Section 2 as it currently is?  It seems Marokai, Jake, and HC are rather set against it.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3906 on: June 17, 2011, 10:47:46 PM »

I guess we have a final vote. 24 hours.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #3907 on: June 17, 2011, 10:55:01 PM »

I'm with Marokai.

I vote Nay.

It seems superfluous to over make an already complex legal system even more intricate.

Once more.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #3908 on: June 17, 2011, 11:20:57 PM »

Nay
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3909 on: June 18, 2011, 07:25:20 AM »

Aye
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #3910 on: June 18, 2011, 08:37:50 AM »

Nay
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3911 on: June 18, 2011, 10:31:16 AM »

Aye
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3912 on: June 21, 2011, 09:05:23 AM »

This bill fails.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3913 on: June 21, 2011, 09:08:14 AM »

Call to Vote Amendment

Section 3 of the Standing Order on Legislative Procedure is hereby amended with the addition of a sub-section (i), as follows:

(i) The Speaker of the Assembly shall notify all members of the Assembly via private message of an ongoing vote on the floor of the Assembly no later than one hour after the commencement of the voting period.   

We will now open the floor to debate this bill.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #3914 on: June 21, 2011, 09:13:53 AM »

I designed that bill to have no real enforcement mechanism so that speakers aren't held responsible for looking after the duties of elected assemblymen. I just thought that since participation in Assembly affairs this past term was often sporadic, an informal measure like this might help.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3915 on: June 21, 2011, 09:16:22 AM »

I think something like this is essential for all legislatures. The most important person in any legislative body in Atlasia is the person running that legislative body. We place in them our trust that the legislature will continue moving forward seamlessly, and with as much activity as possible. Responsibilities like this for the Speaker of the Northeast Assembly is a no brainer, to me, and I hope that it passes easily, as it should.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3916 on: June 21, 2011, 09:16:58 AM »

I disagree with the basis for this law. The Speaker is not meant to be Babysitter.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3917 on: June 21, 2011, 09:28:20 AM »

I disagree with the basis for this law. The Speaker is not meant to be Babysitter.

It's a title of work that has responsibilities, not a title of prestige that's meant to be flaunted. Being a Speaker, or any other legislative equivalent (such as PPT for the federal Senate) is, by any fair assessment, the caretaker of the legislature. I suppose we could amend the resolution to include a more lenient time frame, though, but I hardly think it's unfair to encourage members, which the Speaker presides over, to vote.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3918 on: June 21, 2011, 09:45:59 AM »

I wouldn't support stringent enforcement upon the Speaker to tell Assembly members to do their job.  This bill doesn't seem to do so, and because it does not, I'm sorry to say that I see little purpose in it except formalities.  I don't think it's the duty of the Speaker to encourage the Assembly to follow through on their duties.  Perhaps if the size of the Assembly is reduced, those that fail to participate will no longer plague this Assembly. 
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3919 on: June 21, 2011, 09:56:35 AM »

Being Speaker has responsibilities?! Never would have guessed that on my own.

All this bill does is shift responsibility away from other members and discourage participation in debate. Who needs to participate in discussion when a nifty little message will arrive telling when to vote each time?

Every Representative has responsibilities.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #3920 on: June 21, 2011, 10:14:02 AM »

I wouldn't support stringent enforcement upon the Speaker to tell Assembly members to do their job.  This bill doesn't seem to do so, and because it does not, I'm sorry to say that I see little purpose in it except formalities.  I don't think it's the duty of the Speaker to encourage the Assembly to follow through on their duties.  Perhaps if the size of the Assembly is reduced, those that fail to participate will no longer plague this Assembly. 

In the coming session of this legislature, we will most likely have four assemblymen - a majority of this body - who did not run for their office and merely wrote themselves in on the ballot. I, too, would prefer that this amendment to SOAP be made unnecessary by a reduction in the size of the Assembly, but that is not the case. In such a situation, I believe that it is preferable to encourage absentee legislators to participate via a PM call to vote than to wait until they have missed three votes before throwing them out. To my mind, it is better to attempt to do something constructive with our execrable situation than to fall back on the punishments intended for a less dysfunctional legislature.

If it is agreeable to anyone, I would be willing to change the text of my amendment from "ongoing vote" to "ongoing debate", since Napoleon's comment about reliance on calls to vote as an excuse to avoid debate is a relevant and important one. I realize that this won't solve the "babysitter" role that he has inveighed against, but perhaps it will nonetheless achieve the result that I'm trying to bring about.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3921 on: June 21, 2011, 10:37:13 AM »

Whie this is true and I agree with this, it takes less than 2 seconds to send a PM that could create more activity. I ran for Governor on the platform of improving Legislative activity, so if this bill helps, I'm all for it.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3922 on: June 21, 2011, 10:47:47 AM »
« Edited: June 21, 2011, 10:51:17 AM by Speaker Napoleon »

Whie this is true and I agree with this, it takes less than 2 seconds to send a PM that could create more activity. I ran for Governor on the platform of improving Legislative activity, so if this bill helps, I'm all for it.

It doesn't help though.

It takes less than. 2 seconds to check the thread themselves. Remember there is a limit to the number of PMs one can send within a certain period.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3923 on: June 21, 2011, 10:54:08 AM »

In the coming session of this legislature, we will most likely have four assemblymen - a majority of this body - who did not run for their office and merely wrote themselves in on the ballot. I, too, would prefer that this amendment to SOAP be made unnecessary by a reduction in the size of the Assembly, but that is not the case. In such a situation, I believe that it is preferable to encourage absentee legislators to participate via a PM call to vote than to wait until they have missed three votes before throwing them out. To my mind, it is better to attempt to do something constructive with our execrable situation than to fall back on the punishments intended for a less dysfunctional legislature.

If it is agreeable to anyone, I would be willing to change the text of my amendment from "ongoing vote" to "ongoing debate", since Napoleon's comment about reliance on calls to vote as an excuse to avoid debate is a relevant and important one. I realize that this won't solve the "babysitter" role that he has inveighed against, but perhaps it will nonetheless achieve the result that I'm trying to bring about.

That would be an improvement but I would still probably be opposed. This bill screams nanny state. We can't even expect our legislators to check a thread?
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3924 on: June 21, 2011, 11:16:07 AM »

It doesn't help though.

It takes less than. 2 seconds to check the thread themselves. Remember there is a limit to the number of PMs one can send within a certain period.

Meh. This is true. Perhaps we could make an Amendment to the bill to allow the Governor to send the messages. I'd be happy to do so.
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 154 155 156 [157] 158 159 160 161 162 ... 239  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies