Northeast Assembly Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:31:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast Assembly Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 79 80 81 [82] 83 84 85 86 87 ... 239
Author Topic: Northeast Assembly Thread  (Read 381478 times)
segwaystyle2012

Political Matrix
E: 9.68, S: -0.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2025 on: March 13, 2010, 08:01:04 PM »

Kalwejt, I must respectfully ask that you take your legislative duties more seriously.

We both should.

I have not throw insults in this thread and I have not posted any thing unrelated to the subject of debate. I don't think I have to change anything myself.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2026 on: March 13, 2010, 08:05:44 PM »

Kalwejt, I must respectfully ask that you take your legislative duties more seriously.

We both should.

I have not throw insults in this thread and I have not posted any thing unrelated to the subject of debate. I don't think I have to change anything myself.

Teachers' Unions Exposed

HERE

And the other unions are just as bad, of course.

We, in Atlasia, don't know examples from a mytical country called America.
segwaystyle2012

Political Matrix

« Reply #2027 on: March 13, 2010, 08:07:01 PM »

I'm registered in a state called Maine, and that link provides info about something in Maine. Putting two and two together tells me you are wrong.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2028 on: March 13, 2010, 08:13:52 PM »

Reading the Constitution is always a good idea, fwiw.
segwaystyle2012

Political Matrix

« Reply #2029 on: March 13, 2010, 08:15:50 PM »

Can I get a link to the area of the Constitution relevant to this legislation, please?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2030 on: March 13, 2010, 08:20:38 PM »

Can I get a link to the area of the Constitution relevant to this legislation, please?

The Department of the Interior believes that literacy is important, so I'm afraid you'll have to find it for yourself, Motherwell. Though you might save yourself a few minutes if you look near the back.
segwaystyle2012

Political Matrix

« Reply #2031 on: March 13, 2010, 08:25:09 PM »
« Edited: March 13, 2010, 08:29:11 PM by keeping things simple »

The Department of the Interior believes that literacy is important, so I'm afraid you'll have to find it for yourself, Motherwell. Though you might save yourself a few minutes if you look near the back.

If you are talking about this:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

We aren't saying they can't assemble, we are simply reserving our right to not enter contracts with the groups.

If you are talking about this:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I'm not sure if this clause relates to regions since the only grounds given for excepting is "vital national interest." And, if it does apply, I can say that our Assembly has the right do this due to a "vital regional interest" that can be implied.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2032 on: March 13, 2010, 08:43:18 PM »

Hahahaha. Nice try, but not nearly good enough.
segwaystyle2012

Political Matrix

« Reply #2033 on: March 13, 2010, 08:46:45 PM »

That would be up to the Court, assuming this passes and gets challenged.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2034 on: March 13, 2010, 08:48:46 PM »

That would be up to the Court, assuming this passes and gets challenged.

You know, I'm not entirely convinced that assuming functional illiteracy on the part of the Court is the best strategy in the World.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #2035 on: March 13, 2010, 10:12:23 PM »

Bear in mind that Segway's bill is now with my amendments (they were deemed friendly), so that should be taken into consideration.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #2036 on: March 13, 2010, 11:47:02 PM »
« Edited: March 13, 2010, 11:51:07 PM by Governor Morgan Brykein »

I rather like Dallasfan's amendment.  Originally I was a bit wary of the bill.  Although, I don't know about "or if such a strike is detrimental to the business of the Northeast Government."  That gives too much leeway for abuse, in my opinion.
segwaystyle2012

Political Matrix

« Reply #2037 on: March 13, 2010, 11:53:11 PM »

Practical Labor Policy Act

The Northeast Government shall review and re-negotiate existing public employee contracts, benefits and pensions and work towards making more realistic and cost-effective contracts. The Northeast Government shall not enter into any contract that does not expire after a two-year period.

If a strike persists for one month, or if such a strike interferes with the ability of the Northeast Government to carry out its basic daily functions, the Northeast Government shall have the power to hire non-union replacements, either temporarily or permanently.

What do you guys think about this amendment?
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #2038 on: March 13, 2010, 11:54:27 PM »

I like it.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2039 on: March 13, 2010, 11:58:42 PM »

I will support it.
segwaystyle2012

Political Matrix

« Reply #2040 on: March 13, 2010, 11:59:51 PM »

Gramps? cinyc? Han? Lt. Governor?
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2041 on: March 14, 2010, 12:02:45 AM »

Practical Labor Policy Act

The Northeast Government shall review and re-negotiate existing public employee contracts, benefits and pensions and work towards making more realistic and cost-effective contracts. The Northeast Government shall not enter into any contract that does not expire after a two-year period.

If a strike persists for one month, or if such a strike interferes with the ability of the Northeast Government to carry out its basic daily functions, the Northeast Government shall have the power to hire non-union replacements, either temporarily or permanently.

What do you guys think about this amendment?

Quick question, and this may spur the need for regions (all of them) to actually write labor laws, but...

Can't any employer, public or private, always hire permanent non-union replacements in the event of a strike? It seems like this is hamstringing your government, not helping it. Of course, no one in Atlasia has any formal labor laws, so I'm basing that off the grandfathered US laws.
segwaystyle2012

Political Matrix

« Reply #2042 on: March 14, 2010, 12:04:56 AM »

^^^

If that is the case then I don't want to make us have to wait a whole month.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2043 on: March 14, 2010, 12:09:04 AM »

^^^

Yeah, I hadn't realized that. I figured it was just unlawful to do so. You may strike the latter provision and I'll still support it.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2044 on: March 14, 2010, 12:09:16 AM »

^^^

I mean, it also matters whether it is a ULP (unfair labor practice) strike or an economic (hours, wages and other terms/conditions of employment) strike. These sorts of nuances really need a full-blown labor policy.

This Assembly has written some pretty hefty pieces of legislation on random things. This sort of thing seems one of those things that especially deserves an intricate and lengthy law.
segwaystyle2012

Political Matrix

« Reply #2045 on: March 14, 2010, 12:10:25 AM »

^^^

I mean, it also matters whether it is a ULP (unfair labor practice) strike or an economic (hours, wages and other terms/conditions of employment) strike. These sorts of nuances really need a full-blown labor policy.

This Assembly has written some pretty hefty pieces of legislation on random things. This sort of thing seems one of those things that especially deserves an intricate and lengthy law.

Is there any data or suggestions you have for us regarding this? I mean, we might as well use this opportunity to get things done right the first time.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2046 on: March 14, 2010, 12:22:47 AM »

^^^

Is there any data or suggestions you have for us regarding this? I mean, we might as well use this opportunity to get things done right the first time.

We should first vote on this bill, and then work to craft such legislation in private, as to not bog down the work of the Assembly. I'm in agreement, though, and would like to contribute if possible.
segwaystyle2012

Political Matrix

« Reply #2047 on: March 14, 2010, 12:24:51 AM »

^^^

We should first vote on this bill, and then work to craft such legislation in private, as to not bog down the work of the Assembly. I'm in agreement, though, and would like to contribute if possible.

Well there isn't much in the queue though anyways.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2048 on: March 14, 2010, 12:41:33 AM »

I likely have very different ideas about labor than many of you, so I will refrain from recommendations as to what policies you should implement. I would recommend, however, that you skim the US policies on labor, specifically the National Labor Relations Act and the amending Taft-Hartlet Act.

Also, a review of the Employee Free Choice Act and the arguments for/against should give you a pretty good idea of where to go.

Here are things a law would consist of:
Definition of who may unionize and who may not
Definition of the rights of all workers and the rights of all employers
Definition of unfair labor practices (by both the employer and the union)
Definition of what the punishments for ULPs are
Outlining how to unionize
Defining what topics unions and employers may bargain on, how they may bargain, what happens if they cannot agree, etc.
Strikes

That should give you plenty to chew on. Wink
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2049 on: March 14, 2010, 12:50:16 AM »

I'm not sure if private citizens of the Northeast are allowed to post here, but I strongly urge the Assembly to defeat this bill. The government of the Northeast should be setting an example to private business entities, rewarding the hard-working men and women who run our region, who teach our children, who keep us safe, who ensure that everything in the background is churning along smoothly so that our lives can continue unharassed by inconvenience, with good wages, good benefits and good pensions. This bill is a direct and unprovoked attack on working Northeasterners, who are being punished for fighting for a decent, middle-class life. Don't be the session of the assembly that ensured that the wages and benefits of public servants were cut or that prolonged strikes and conflict shut down the government.
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 79 80 81 [82] 83 84 85 86 87 ... 239  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies