Northeast Assembly Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:44:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast Assembly Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 76 77 78 [79] 80 81 82 83 84 ... 239
Author Topic: Northeast Assembly Thread  (Read 380891 times)
cinyc
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1950 on: March 07, 2010, 08:46:05 PM »

I don't know why we should penalize the Pacific.  The Southeast started this nonsense by busing its dangerous criminals into the Pacific.  If we should be penalizing anyone, it should be the Southeast.  But I'd prefer to remain neutral and let the Pacific and Southeast iron out their differences on their own.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1951 on: March 07, 2010, 08:59:46 PM »

I want to say two things.

First of all, I agree with Mr. Speaker that there is not a reason at all to punish Pacific for something, Southeast committed.

Second of all, what would we do if other region would pass something like "Suck It Northeast Act"?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1952 on: March 07, 2010, 09:24:12 PM »

I want to say two things.

First of all, I agree with Mr. Speaker that there is not a reason at all to punish Pacific for something, Southeast committed.

Second of all, what would we do if other region would pass something like "Suck It Northeast Act"?

Authorize the CJO or someone else to seek an Atlasian Supreme Court injunction on behalf of the Northeast against that region in question on the grounds suggested by CJO Sam Spade in his decision to grant cert.  Unfortunately, the person who brought the Pacific's lawsuit didn't have the time to see it through.  We'd make sure it was seen through.  If we lost, we'd retaliate, much like the Pacific did.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #1953 on: March 07, 2010, 09:35:45 PM »

I'd like the legislation withdrawn in light of current events, as it's pointless now.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1954 on: March 07, 2010, 09:40:15 PM »

I'd like the legislation withdrawn in light of current events, as it's pointless now.

It was pointless since very begining.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1955 on: March 07, 2010, 09:44:06 PM »

Well, in retrospect I will admit it was a mistake.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1956 on: March 07, 2010, 09:49:50 PM »

Well, in retrospect I will admit it was a mistake.

Ok, I'm glad we all can move on.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1957 on: March 07, 2010, 09:53:26 PM »
« Edited: March 07, 2010, 10:23:40 PM by cinyc »

The bill is tabled.

The queue is empty right now.  If anyone wants to propose legislation, please place it in the proposed legislation thread.  I will work on legislation implementing the GM's recommendations for the  FREE HIGHWAY ACCESS ACT OF 2009 if I have time.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1958 on: March 07, 2010, 10:06:29 PM »

Next bill:

Northeast Free Highway Access Act of 2009 Implementation Bill

Pursuant to the Northeast Free Highway Access Act of 2009, the Northeast Assembly hereby adopts the final recommendation of the Free Highway Access Commission to phase out all highway tolls and replace lost revenue with an increase in the Northeast gasoline tax by 14.6 cents per gallon, phased in over five years as follows:

FY2010: 2.6 cents
FY2011: 5.6 cents
FY2012: 8.6 cents
FY2013: 11.6 cents
FY2014: 14.6 cents

Sponsor: Rep. cinyc

The question is whether the bill should be considered?

The ayes have it.

Debate on this bill will continue until at least 10:05PM Eastern on Tuesday, March 9, 2010, unless the debate period is extended or shortened in accordance with the SOAP.

The Sponsor, Representative cinyc, has the floor.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1959 on: March 07, 2010, 10:14:06 PM »
« Edited: March 07, 2010, 10:17:42 PM by cinyc »

The reason for my bill is simple.  Back in December 2008, the citizen legislature of the Northeast passed the FREE HIGHWAY ACCESS ACT OF 2009.   Under that bill, all tolls in the Northeast are to be phased out - as of right now, over the next 4 years for regular roads and over the next 9 years for bridges.  A commission was set up to determine the amount by which the gas tax would have to increase to offset the loss of toll revenues.  Last year, Rep. Mr. Moderate asked the GM to act as the commission.  The commission determined the amounts by which the gasoline tax must be increased in order to fully offset lost toll revenues.  

The Free Highway Access act required that the Legislative Assembly of the Northeast approve the commission's recommendations.  So that's what this bill does.

I'm the sponsor, but am neutral on the bill.  We should debate whether to accept the recommendations, send it back to better fit the bill (for example, the legislation says bridge tolls should be phased out by 2019, yet this bill phases them out) by 2014, or repeal the Free Highway Access Act of 2009 altogether and keep our tolled roads tolled.  We should have the authority to do any of those three things.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1960 on: March 08, 2010, 01:35:43 PM »

I'm all in favor repealing the Act.  Why must we burden every citizen of the Northeast with a gasoline tax, if the tolls paid only by the users now are doing the job of maintaining those roads in good condition.

Perhaps restructuring the toll system might be in order, and if so a study would need to be conducted to see what tolls need increased/decreased/stay the same.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1961 on: March 08, 2010, 02:48:37 PM »

I'm all in favor repealing the Act.  Why must we burden every citizen of the Northeast with a gasoline tax, if the tolls paid only by the users now are doing the job of maintaining those roads in good condition.

Perhaps restructuring the toll system might be in order, and if so a study would need to be conducted to see what tolls need increased/decreased/stay the same.

I understand your points, but am a little reticent to overrule the legislative Assembly of the Northeast when it was the people.   Citizens of Connecticut, Vermont and most of Rhode Island (outside of Newport) are worse off with a gas tax, since they have no toll roads.  New Jersey probably benefits most by the repeal. 

I suppose we can vote on it though.  If you'd want to propose an amendment, to my bill, it probably should say something like:

Amendment to replace the Northeast Free Highway Access Act of 2009 Implementation Bill with the following:

"1.  The Free Highway Access Act of 2009 is repealed.   

2. The Northeast Region shall form a commission to study and revise the toll structure".

Let me know if that's okay or you want to suggest other language.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1962 on: March 08, 2010, 02:56:26 PM »

I understand your points, but am a little reticent to overrule the legislative Assembly of the Northeast when it was the people

If you look at the link to the actual vote,  I think it was just a handful of citizens who voted on it........actually far less than the elected number in the assembly now.

Let me think about those amendments for a short bit.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1963 on: March 08, 2010, 03:41:11 PM »

I checked again and the vote count on the Act was:  "Free Highway Access Act Of 2009: 3 AYES, 1 NAY"

There was very little support for it to begin with and the committee's hard work should be rightly noted, but I do propose the following:

Amendment to replace the Northeast Free Highway Access Act of 2009 Implementation Bill with the following:

"1.  The Free Highway Access Act of 2009 is repealed.   

2. The Northeast Region shall form a commission to study and revise the toll structure".

xGrumpy Gramps

And a thanks to Cinyc for suggesting the wording.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1964 on: March 08, 2010, 03:58:21 PM »

Thanks.

I'm going to deem the amendment unfriendly so that it goes to a vote.  Whatever we do should be voted on as a clear choice, with all options on the table, IMHO. 

We'll vote on the amendment at the end of the debate period tomorrow.  As of right now, the amendment vote will be a referendum on keep tolls versus implement gas tax suggested by the commission. (Subject to any other proposed amendments)  A second vote will be held on Wednesday into Thursday on final passage of whatever wins the amendment vote.
segwaystyle2012

Political Matrix
E: 9.68, S: -0.70

« Reply #1965 on: March 08, 2010, 07:19:30 PM »

As I oppose toll roads and gasoline taxes, I will offer an amendment.

1.  The Free Highway Access Act of 2009 is repealed.   

2.  The Northeast Region shall eliminate all tolls from public roads by 31 August 2010.

3.  The Northeast Region shall tax all used vehicle sales at 3% to cover road maintenance costs.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1966 on: March 08, 2010, 09:30:42 PM »

2.  The Northeast Region shall eliminate all tolls from public roads by 31 August 2010.

3.  The Northeast Region shall tax all used vehicle sales at 3% to cover road maintenance costs.

I'll deem that unfriendly and put that to a vote, too.  I have no idea whether that tax will bring enough revenue to offset the elimination of tolls.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1967 on: March 08, 2010, 09:35:36 PM »

I'll deem that unfriendly and put that to a vote, too.  I have no idea whether that tax will bring enough revenue to offset the elimination of tolls.

Will we be voting on both Gramps' and Segway's amendments at once?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1968 on: March 08, 2010, 09:39:02 PM »

Yes.  I guess if both pass, we'd need a runoff or something (though the SOAP doesn't provide for one).  We can't pass both in one bill.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1969 on: March 08, 2010, 09:41:30 PM »

Yes.  I guess if both pass, we'd need a runoff or something (though the SOAP doesn't provide for one).  We can't pass both in one bill.
Agreed, unless Segway and Gramps could negotiate something together and offer a single set of amendments.
segwaystyle2012

Political Matrix

« Reply #1970 on: March 08, 2010, 09:44:01 PM »

The run-off is a good idea. We need SOAP to allow for a procedure to reconcile with incompatible amendments. I might write up an amendment if I have time.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1971 on: March 08, 2010, 10:01:48 PM »

For reference, here is my full report on the Free Highway Access Act of 2009. Not sure if it will be helpful, but good to have since it's all the way back on page 8 of the GM thread.
segwaystyle2012

Political Matrix

« Reply #1972 on: March 08, 2010, 10:05:38 PM »

For reference, here is my full report on the Free Highway Access Act of 2009. Not sure if it will be helpful, but good to have since it's all the way back on page 8 of the GM thread.

Thanks, though we are going to have to replace much more revenue than I expected. Any ideas out there?
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1973 on: March 09, 2010, 12:36:43 AM »

Your region has a budget report out as well (and you are now the largest economy in Atlasia). It can be found here.

I know you all just passed a budget with numbers not reflected here, but this now takes into account the massive population growth in the region since the first budget report. It may be useful to have the new governor craft a budget based on these updated figures.
The Age Wave
silent_spade07
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -2.43

« Reply #1974 on: March 09, 2010, 03:57:52 AM »

Toll roads are no fun. If we need the funds, a gasoline tax is far preferable to toll roads and we get the extra benefit of cutting carbon emmissions! Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 76 77 78 [79] 80 81 82 83 84 ... 239  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies