Northeast Assembly Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:25:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast Assembly Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 70 71 [72] 73 74 75 76 77 ... 239
Author Topic: Northeast Assembly Thread  (Read 381024 times)
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1775 on: February 14, 2010, 03:16:55 PM »

I have a few questions...

Why is a bicameral region necessary? What would it add to the Northeast? What does it add to Atlasia as a whole?
Countess Anya of the North Parish
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -4.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1776 on: February 14, 2010, 03:21:00 PM »

wait, will this add offices?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1777 on: February 14, 2010, 05:29:59 PM »

It would add 1 new position versus now.  We'd go from 8 Assemblymen to 6 Assemblymen and 3 Senators.

Note that the number of Representatives  isn't fixed right now.  It depends on the number of Northeast citizens.  If the Seat Number Amendment passes, we'd be down to a set 6 Representatives.
The Age Wave
silent_spade07
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -2.43

« Reply #1778 on: February 16, 2010, 01:48:31 AM »

No, we will have 9 Assemblyman next session anyways.

I support this and would likely run. I think having only three members empowers the minority more than the large Assembly does. I like what it adds to the legislative process by having to work through two houses. If it doesn't work then I will be the first advocate of repeal but since we are trying new things like the HAEV I don't see why we can't experiment with this. It also allows people to "move up" the ladder, if that makes sense. The Senate would have a bit more power since one Senate vote would be equal to two Assembly votes.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1779 on: February 16, 2010, 02:09:08 AM »

Just a GM-related point on the Senate amendment when it comes up: While I neither support nor oppose the amendment, please take into consideration the increased expenses of running another chamber. That should be reflected in some sort of budget adjustment.

If the cost of running a legislature is not already taken into consideration, it should be as well. Your offices don't furnish themselves ya know.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #1780 on: February 16, 2010, 02:17:07 AM »

Just a GM-related point on the Senate amendment when it comes up: While I neither support nor oppose the amendment, please take into consideration the increased expenses of running another chamber. That should be reflected in some sort of budget adjustment.

If the cost of running a legislature is not already taken into consideration, it should be as well. Your offices don't furnish themselves ya know.
The cost of a three-man legislature would be negligible. We could use the space freed up from limiting the size of the assembly if the budget is that tight.

But LOL at you pretending to be some impartial outsider commenting as a GM rather than a passive-aggressive partisan hack abusing your position in an attempt to undermine your political opposition.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1781 on: February 16, 2010, 02:21:20 AM »

Seeing no proposed unfriendly amendments to the Northeast Senate Amendment, it is now time to vote on final passage.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This vote will remain open until the earlier of 2:20AM Eastern on Wednesday, February 17, 2010 or when all Representatives shall have voted.  Because this is a proposed Constitutional Amendment, more than a mere majority is required for passage.

The Age Wave
silent_spade07
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1782 on: February 16, 2010, 02:23:23 AM »

AYE!
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #1783 on: February 16, 2010, 02:23:29 AM »

Aye.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1784 on: February 16, 2010, 02:27:45 AM »

My concerns have not been addressed.

Nay.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1785 on: February 16, 2010, 02:31:46 AM »

The cost of a three-man legislature would be negligible. We could use the space freed up from limiting the size of the assembly if the budget is that tight.

But LOL at you pretending to be some impartial outsider commenting as a GM rather than a passive-aggressive partisan hack abusing your position in an attempt to undermine your political opposition.

Holding a non-partisan appointed position, I don't exactly have political opposition. Would you give it a rest? I'm not trying to be political every time I comment here. I have said similar things about government size to the Pacific as well, but since they are inactive nothing ever happens. I'm hoping this Assembly may be able to actually act.

Anyway, I haven't read the amendment, so I don't have an opinion on it. But I imagine that building a second chamber for the bicameral legislature, as well as staffing, supplies, security and other essentials will cost some amount of money. Something for the Assembly to consider since I will eventually be crunching the numbers for the regional budgets.
The Age Wave
silent_spade07
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1786 on: February 16, 2010, 02:35:10 AM »

Nay.

About the size? The Assembly will have 9 members next session, like I said. So it will be the same number either way. It is unlikely the Seats Number amendment passes, so I think we might as well give this a shot. I'm real excited to try this out and hope you change your vote.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1787 on: February 16, 2010, 02:41:46 AM »

Nay.

About the size? The Assembly will have 9 members next session, like I said. So it will be the same number either way. It is unlikely the Seats Number amendment passes, so I think we might as well give this a shot. I'm real excited to try this out and hope you change your vote.

Partially about the size - there are too many Representatives as it is.  We have had a lot of turnover every session.  Half of this sitting Assembly was appointed by the Governor (in Rep. Doctor Cynic's case, reappointed).  I hope the Seat Number Amendment passes - even though it likely means I will be out of a job.  12 elected officials from the region is far too many. 

But also about the fact that no one has checked how this would work with the New Northeast Constitution and the proposed amendments that will go to the voters in the upcoming election.  I can't be the only one who does this every time an amendment is proposed.  I don't always have time.
The Age Wave
silent_spade07
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1788 on: February 16, 2010, 02:43:50 AM »

cinyc, the number of Assemblymen is capped at 6 by this proposal. There would never exceed 9 legislators, which is what we will have anyways.

The amendments would have to pass both the House and Senate, like any other legislature. At least let the people vote on it.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1789 on: February 16, 2010, 02:50:58 AM »

cinyc, the number of Assemblymen is capped at 6 by this proposal. There would never exceed 9 legislators, which is what we will have anyways.

The amendments would have to pass both the House and Senate, like any other legislature. At least let the people vote on it.

If this passes, we will permanently have 12 elected regional officials - 6 Reps, 3 NE Senators, 1 Governor, 1 Lt. Governor and 1 Regional Atlasian Senator.  Add in the appointed CJO, and we're up to 13.  That's awfully high for a region that was fairly dormant just a few months ago.  In my judgment, it's too many - especially if one of the stronger parties in the Northeast wins the presidency and starts appointing Northeasterners to federal offices.

I also worry about things like what happens if both the Seat Number Amendment and the Northeast Senate Amendment pass.  What does the Constitution look like, then?  Those provisions are somewhat conflicting.    And there will be other proposed amendments on the ballot, like the proposal regarding vetoes.  Again, what happens if both pass?  I don't know.   I had time to vet that for the People's Court Amendment.  I didn't for this - and I don't think anyone else has thought it through, either.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #1790 on: February 16, 2010, 03:18:01 AM »

Well as the region grows, there need to be more offices for people to get involved. At one time the governor had trouble finding people to fill any positions. Now the region is quite active.

As new offices are created, more people are attracted to our region by the opportunity to move up the ladder.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1791 on: February 16, 2010, 06:35:48 AM »

Nay
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1792 on: February 16, 2010, 09:02:32 AM »

Nay
Countess Anya of the North Parish
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #1793 on: February 16, 2010, 03:32:40 PM »

Aye
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1794 on: February 16, 2010, 06:13:08 PM »

Nay
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1795 on: February 16, 2010, 09:05:44 PM »
« Edited: February 16, 2010, 09:16:17 PM by cinyc »

Edit: Premature
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1796 on: February 16, 2010, 09:07:03 PM »

FYI - If we want this on the ballot, we're going to have to consider this much more quickly than 9:05PM on Thursday.  The vote would have to end some time on Thursday, not begin.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1797 on: February 16, 2010, 09:08:27 PM »

You former President just stepping in for a moment:

I'd just like to say what a magnificent job Speaker Cinyc is doing.  You guys really are lucky to have him. Smiley
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #1798 on: February 16, 2010, 09:11:02 PM »

Speaker, if I may, the previous legislation did state:

As Assemblyman Dallasfan65 has yet to vote, it should remain open until then, no?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1799 on: February 16, 2010, 09:15:29 PM »
« Edited: February 16, 2010, 09:19:14 PM by cinyc »

Speaker, if I may, the previous legislation did state:

As Assemblyman Dallasfan65 has yet to vote, it should remain open until then, no?

I'm almost 100% positive I saw Rep. Dallasfan65's vote last night.  I thought I voted after 3 aye votes had already been cast.  

But you are correct - if Rep. Dallasfan65 didn't actually vote, then the vote is still open.  As there is no evidence of his vote, the vote remains open.

If games are being played to stymie legislative progress, there will be repercussions.   Votes should not be deleted.
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 70 71 [72] 73 74 75 76 77 ... 239  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies