Northeast Assembly Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:44:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast Assembly Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 67 68 69 [70] 71 72 73 74 75 ... 239
Author Topic: Northeast Assembly Thread  (Read 381120 times)
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1725 on: February 12, 2010, 06:51:31 AM »

I am casting the deciding vote for the Health Act as a nay.

My predominant concern with the legislation lies with section 1. If this Bill were to pass, I believe that airlines would raise their prices by 5% to prevent a loss from occurring for the subsidised rate. Additionally, the cost of airline tickets should not be influenced by the presence of a gym membership as the two are unrelated. We might as well be legislating that all automated car washes provide discounts to people with gym memberships also. There are industries where subsidised rates for gym members make sense - for example, as active members of gyms are more likely to be healthy, they are less likely to require medical attention for complaints other than emergencies. As such, it would be logical that discounts should be offered to gym members on health insurance - however it should be market forces, not government legislation that mandates this. Additionally, a gym membership card does not a healthy person make. Discounts offered on other unrelated items for gym members may merely encourage a person to take out a gym membership for the purposes of the savings they accumulate, without ever leaving the comfort of their couch - if the cost of the gym membership is less than the amount they anticipate saving through discounts. Such a person is no healthier and is no less a burden on the healthcare system, it is just they now have an additional card in their wallet.

I applaud Representative DC_United's quest to improve the general level of health of Northeast citizens and encourage her to continue to seek ways to improve the standard of living of all Northeast residents. I strongly support section 2 of her Bill and would suggest that this should be incorporated into the legislation governing the Northeast Region's contract law, as a person paying for two tickets on an airline has effectively purchased two seats. Additionally, this will also provide an increased level of comfort to neighbouring passengers of an obese person charged for a second seat.

I would suggest to Representative DC_United that perhaps one way of tackling obesity is to start with childhood obesity. Perhaps the Northeast Legislature could consider legislating the types of foods that can be sold in public school canteens to ensure a healthier range of foods including fresh fruit and vegetables and perhaps specifically banning the sale of chips, lollies and other foods and drinks with a high fat or sugar content (after all, Coke's headquarters are in Georgia and not in the Northeast)? Something along the lines of the Healthy Food for Healthy Schools Act or something? I'm sure the Representative could put something together there.

I see I must also apologise for my level of inactivity. I check the Northeast Assembly thread on a daily basis to keep abreast of legislation that may or may not require a deciding vote to be cast. Unfortunately, as all bar one of you know, the world is round and when it is daytime in America it is generally night-time in Australia. The vote on the Health Act was not finalised until seven o'clock this morning, my time. As I was working away from my desk all day today, I was unable to log on between then and now. Most debates and votes commence sometime in the middle of the night for me and also end at about the same time. This is obviously more convenient for American posters and since Speaker Cinyc is performing a stellar role as Presiding Officer of the Assembly, I am content to observe at times suitable for me and only get involved when necessary.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1726 on: February 12, 2010, 10:32:49 AM »

CJO office is politicized anyway, but I share Cinic concerns, so I'd probably abstain.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1727 on: February 12, 2010, 01:57:20 PM »

Thank you, Lt. Governor Smid.

With the Lt. Governor's vote, the Health Act fails.

The vote on whether to simultaneously take up the Northeast Senate Amendment is still open, as is debate on the People's Court Amendment.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #1728 on: February 12, 2010, 01:59:26 PM »

Aye on the motion to simoultaneously consider the Senate amendment.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1729 on: February 12, 2010, 02:26:33 PM »

I support the Democratic elections of the CJO.

Aye on the amendment.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1730 on: February 12, 2010, 02:51:41 PM »

I support the Democratic elections of the CJO.

Aye on the amendment.

We're not voting on the CJO amendment. but on whether to simultaneously consider the Northeast Senate Amendment, in the interests of time.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1731 on: February 12, 2010, 04:28:22 PM »

Sorry, I've been busy and havent gotten a chance to really look into here. This was brought up around the time the Assembly was created, and I must ask again to keep the CJO position in the hands of the Governors appointment. 
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #1732 on: February 12, 2010, 05:31:43 PM »

I think its rather out of decorum for the executive to come in here and attempt to dictate how members of this Assembly vote on an issue related to his own power.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #1733 on: February 12, 2010, 05:35:20 PM »

Anyway, I vote aye on considering the Northeast Senate Amendment at this time.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1734 on: February 12, 2010, 05:56:14 PM »

I think its rather out of decorum for the executive to come in here and attempt to dictate how members of this Assembly vote on an issue related to his own power.

I am soooooooooo sorry! Since Libertas has said that, I will never make any suggestions, comments, requests, or hell, even speak to any member of the Assembly about anything ever again. Sorry for intruding!
segwaystyle2012

Political Matrix
E: 9.68, S: -0.70

« Reply #1735 on: February 12, 2010, 06:24:15 PM »

I am soooooooooo sorry! Since Libertas has said that, I will never make any suggestions, comments, requests, or hell, even speak to any member of the Assembly about anything ever again. Sorry for intruding!

Why should anyone trust YOU to make an appointment?
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1736 on: February 12, 2010, 06:35:27 PM »

Why should anyone trust YOU to make an appointment?

Because I've made good decisions in my appointments.
segwaystyle2012

Political Matrix
E: 9.68, S: -0.70

« Reply #1737 on: February 12, 2010, 06:37:02 PM »

I wouldn't say that nor should the left considering you appointed Hamilton.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1738 on: February 12, 2010, 06:56:49 PM »

I wouldn't say that nor should the left considering you appointed Hamilton.

Why? Because you werent any of those appointments? I've appointed Indy, RPP, JCP, SDP, LNF, ARC, POP candidates. Oddly enough, I have not ONCE given an appointment to any to any DA members since the start of the Assembly. I have never made any appointments to the Assembly, or to the CJO office that would be any form of advantage to myself. I'm proud of the appointments and decisions I've made in this office, and I'll stand by them.

Anyways, I'm going to end the conversation here, you are free to PM me if you wish to continue. I dont want to continue to clutter up the Assembly.

Either way though, I did not demand that the Assembly do anything, I just asked if they could keep the CJO office as an apointed position. If they decide to make it an elected position, than I guess that is that.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #1739 on: February 12, 2010, 06:59:02 PM »

Are you done using the floor of the Assembly for your campaigning?
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1740 on: February 12, 2010, 07:04:50 PM »

Ugh.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1741 on: February 12, 2010, 09:50:55 PM »

Are you done being an obnoxious jerk?
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #1742 on: February 12, 2010, 09:53:25 PM »

Are you done being an obnoxious jerk?

I assume you meant to address that to the governor.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1743 on: February 12, 2010, 10:10:50 PM »

The personal attacks will cease and there will be order!

The vote on whether to simultaneously consider the Northeast Senate Amendment is still open, as is debate on the People's Court Amendment.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1744 on: February 13, 2010, 01:44:55 AM »

By a vote of 4-0, the motion to suspend Section 2(b) and simultaneously consider the Northeast Senate Amendment fails to receive the votes of a majority of all Northeast Representatives, and, therefore fails under Section 2(d) of the SOAP.

Debate on the People's Court Amendment continues until 2:15 PM Eastern time.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #1745 on: February 13, 2010, 01:48:12 AM »

Speaker, may I motion again to consider them simultaneously?

The wonderful appointments our governor made apparently don't take the responsibility of even showing up to vote in the Assembly seriously.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1746 on: February 13, 2010, 01:59:01 AM »
« Edited: February 13, 2010, 02:01:29 AM by cinyc »

Speaker, may I motion again to consider them simultaneously?

The wonderful appointments our governor made apparently don't take the responsibility of even showing up to vote in the Assembly seriously.

You certainly can make the motion - but at this point, unless everyone votes quickly, we're not going to end up saving much time even if it passes.  Note that I can't guarantee I'll be around at 2AM tomorrow to promptly start the debate on the motion, even if it passes.

I will put up the motion post again next.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1747 on: February 13, 2010, 01:59:55 AM »

The question again is whether to suspend section 2(b) of the SOAP and bring the Northeast Senate Amendment to the floor while we continue to debate the People's Court Amendment.

The text of the Northeast Senate Amendment is as follows:
You must be logged in to read this quote.

All those in favor of debating this proposed amendment alongside the bill currently on the floor shall vote aye; those opposed, nay.  This is NOT a vote on the merits of the bill - just a vote on whether to expedite the consideration of the bill.   

This vote shall remain open until the earlier of 2:00AM on Sunday, February 14, 2010, or when all Representatives shall have voted.

Debate on the People's Court Amendment SHALL CONTINUE while the vote on this motion is held.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1748 on: February 13, 2010, 02:02:03 AM »

Aye on the motion to suspend Section 2(b) of the SOAP and simultaneously consider the Northeast Senate Amendment.
The Age Wave
silent_spade07
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -2.43

« Reply #1749 on: February 13, 2010, 02:20:08 AM »

Aye again. And be nice to AndrewCt
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 67 68 69 [70] 71 72 73 74 75 ... 239  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length