Northeast Assembly Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:08:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast Assembly Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 [67] 68 69 70 71 72 ... 239
Author Topic: Northeast Assembly Thread  (Read 381677 times)
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1650 on: February 08, 2010, 09:12:01 PM »

Nay
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #1651 on: February 08, 2010, 09:44:54 PM »
« Edited: February 08, 2010, 09:56:02 PM by Dallasfan65 »

Nay.

Aye, after discussing it with Kalwejt.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1652 on: February 09, 2010, 07:13:14 AM »

Aye
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1653 on: February 09, 2010, 03:02:08 PM »
« Edited: February 09, 2010, 03:04:58 PM by cinyc »

By a vote of 4-2 with one absence, the Northeast Order of Precedence Act passes, and will be sent to the Governor for his signature or veto.

Next bill:

Health Act

To encourage people to have a healthy body,
If you can prove you belong to a gym, then you can get 5% off your aiprot flight ticket.
To prove you belong to a gym you need:
a) A gym member ship card
b) or a temporary card showing that you did apply for membership.

Sponsor: Rep. cutie_15

The question is whether the bill should be considered?

The ayes have it.

Debate on this bill will continue until at least 3:05PM Eastern on Thursday, February 11, 2010, unless the debate period is extended or shortened in accordance with the SOAP.

The Sponsor, Representative cutie_15, has the floor.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1654 on: February 09, 2010, 03:53:16 PM »

I have a few questions and concerns... First of all, does the waist size of the individual matter as long as they can produce a valid gym membership card?

Second, I don't even believe that it actually does anything to curtail the primary problem as any individual can maintain a gym membership and even then, the airlines could just take the five percent out of the cost of the two seat charge for a heavy individual who may even be going to the gym to work on their issues and still cram them into one seat.

So, again, how does this actually solve the problem?
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #1655 on: February 09, 2010, 03:57:25 PM »

I would like to propose we shorten the debate time to as short as possible for this legislation.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1656 on: February 09, 2010, 04:00:12 PM »

I would like to propose we shorten the debate time to as short as possible for this legislation.

Seconded.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #1657 on: February 09, 2010, 04:01:38 PM »
« Edited: February 09, 2010, 05:18:07 PM by Dallasfan65 »

I'd like to propose a friendly amendment to clean up the grammar in this bill.

Health ActTo encourage people to have a healthy body,
If you can prove you belong to a gym, then you can get 5% off your aiprot flight ticket.
To prove you belong to a gym you need:
a) A gym member ship card
b) or a temporary card showing that you did apply for membership.

Health Act

If proven that an individual has membership to a gym, they are eligible for a 5% discount on their airport ticket. For an individual to prove they belong to a gym, they require either a gym membership card or a temporary card showing there was application for membership.

This is not to say that I will vote for the bill. Also...

EDIT: I cancel my motion to amend it, as I will not vote for this bill either way. My support to shorten debate time remains.

Seconded.

Thirded.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1658 on: February 09, 2010, 05:11:02 PM »

I will not rule on motions to shorten until we hear from the sponsor. 
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #1659 on: February 09, 2010, 05:19:41 PM »

The bill is not even written in legible English. It is an embarrassment to this Assembly.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1660 on: February 09, 2010, 05:24:57 PM »

The bill is not even written in legible English. It is an embarrassment to this Assembly.

I'm not a fan of the bill as written, but it's not the first bill this Assembly has considered that includes a few typos.

The GM says that Northeast obesity is at an epidemic level.  This bill could be used as a vehicle to address that - or to decide that we as the Assembly shouldn't meddle into people's wastelines.

I would like to hear from the sponsor before ruling on any motion to shorten debate.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1661 on: February 09, 2010, 07:03:41 PM »

I honestly am not really concerned with how the bill is typed up. There's no rule in the Assembly that says it has to be perfectly written and the fact that we have a few members who are not natural english speakers to begin with, it shouldn't get in the way of getting things done, in my opinion.

Look, if it can help address issues both related to health and equality then I think it's worth working on. At the moment though, it's just a bill that offers a solution to neither of the problems that should be addressed.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #1662 on: February 09, 2010, 07:09:46 PM »

The bill is stupid both in content and in form. Having a gym membership card proves nothing, and what does that have to do with taking an "aiprot flight"?

And its sponsor is from California, not a foreign country.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1663 on: February 09, 2010, 07:27:24 PM »
« Edited: February 10, 2010, 03:30:54 AM by Gustaf »

The bill is stupid both in content and in form. Having a gym membership card proves nothing, and what does that have to do with taking an "aiprot flight"?

The sponsor is Norteast citizen.

Edited for personal attack. The rest of the post is, of course, completely off-target but I will leave it up to the author to realize that.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1664 on: February 09, 2010, 10:12:50 PM »

The point I'm making is I really don't give two crocks whether or not anything is spelled correctly.

Also, I agree... But it's something we can start working towards. Both with obesity figures and the rights of those who still have an issue.

My primary desire is ticket price per seat. Period. One seat, one price.
Countess Anya of the North Parish
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #1665 on: February 09, 2010, 11:01:39 PM »

I have a few questions and concerns... First of all, does the waist size of the individual matter as long as they can produce a valid gym membership card?

Second, I don't even believe that it actually does anything to curtail the primary problem as any individual can maintain a gym membership and even then, the airlines could just take the five percent out of the cost of the two seat charge for a heavy individual who may even be going to the gym to work on their issues and still cram them into one seat.

So, again, how does this actually solve the problem?
sorry for a delayed answer.

anyways Yes it would. People would loose wait if they actually went the the gym. Since gym membership is so expensive they wouldn't waste money unless they used it.
and the two seat thing. come on!!! I even take up two seats. but the question is would you rather have to pay full price. Wink
Kidding if you want you could tweak it to put a two seat thing in if you want.

and it is online. who gives a rats ass about how people think spelling is so important on a forum where no one will ever meet you.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #1666 on: February 09, 2010, 11:03:55 PM »

The point I'm making is I really don't give two crocks whether or not anything is spelled correctly.

Also, I agree... But it's something we can start working towards. Both with obesity figures and the rights of those who still have an issue.

My primary desire is ticket price per seat. Period. One seat, one price.

This bill doesn't appear to address your issue about being charged for multiple seats.

All it seems to do is allow people to just apply for a membership card at a gym and then get a taxpayer-funded discount on airfare for some reason. Of course they could always cancel the card after and not even pay for the gym, or never show up at the gym even if they did remain a member.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1667 on: February 09, 2010, 11:18:05 PM »

My issue is that if I'm being charged two seats, I want the two seats. If I'm given one seat, then I only want to pay for one seat. I think if it was the government rather than the corporate world that levied such a price, conservatives would be outraged.

I don't support this particular bill as I don't believe it solves the dual issues. I have a gym membership for one full year, but I hardly go... So, I don't see what it does...

If I'm re-elected in the next session, I'll have a modified proposal to deal with the twin issues.
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1668 on: February 09, 2010, 11:24:06 PM »

My issue is that if I'm being charged two seats, I want the two seats. If I'm given one seat, then I only want to pay for one seat. I think if it was the government rather than the corporate world that levied such a price, conservatives would be outraged.

I don't support this particular bill as I don't believe it solves the dual issues. I have a gym membership for one full year, but I hardly go... So, I don't see what it does...

If I'm re-elected in the next session, I'll have a modified proposal to deal with the twin issues.

screw this computer!!!!
well see people hate wasting money Here one moth member ship for a gym is 80-100 a month. but then you might have money to toss around. I went rocking climbing and I lost two inches. And about the seat thing, have you ever said anything about it? You should just but two seat, aka claim another person is coming and use the other seat. Or later say they charged you to much and demand a refund. there are ways to go around it.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1669 on: February 10, 2010, 12:53:21 AM »

Rep. cutie_15 - we're making laws for the Northeast.  Typos don't matter much in your posts as long as we can read it, but it does matter in our laws, which should be free of typos and easily readable.   It embarrasses us as an Assembly to pass  laws full of typos and mistakes.

Would you object to shortening the debate period to open the vote at 8:00PM tomorrow?
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1670 on: February 10, 2010, 01:41:54 AM »

Rep. cutie_15 - we're making laws for the Northeast.  Typos don't matter much in your posts as long as we can read it, but it does matter in our laws, which should be free of typos and easily readable.   It embarrasses us as an Assembly to pass  laws full of typos and mistakes.

Would you object to shortening the debate period to open the vote at 8:00PM tomorrow?
not at all.

And I understand. Laws are a serious thing.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1671 on: February 10, 2010, 01:52:25 AM »

We will open the vote on this bill at 8PM on Wednesday, February 10.

I'm going to propose an amendment to fix typos and avoid the use of the word "you", which I hope will be deemed friendly:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This doesn't mean I support the bill - I don't think the Northeast government should force airlines to cut fares for anyone or tell people how to regulate their weight.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1672 on: February 10, 2010, 01:54:16 AM »

If you guys disagree with the bill (or just think it is worded poorly), might I advise offering amendments that essentially gut the legislation and use the bill's "shell" to address the issue of obesity (if you actually believe the government should address the issue)?

Seems foolish to waste this opportunity because the initial bill lacks syntax or is not thought out well enough. Just amend it.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #1673 on: February 10, 2010, 01:56:14 AM »

The bill is useless meaningless garbage holding up the queue and preventing real legislation from being discussed.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1674 on: February 10, 2010, 01:59:06 AM »

The bill is useless meaningless garbage holding up the queue and preventing real legislation from being discussed.

So gut it with an amendment.

You have a shell. Why waste the time to vote this down and bring up a new bill when you can remove the current language, put in language you do like and actually accomplish something with this?

Unless you don't believe the government should have anything to do with reducing the region's obesity rate, in which case voting this down as quickly as possible without amending it is the intelligent thing to do.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 [67] 68 69 70 71 72 ... 239  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies