Northeast Assembly Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:24:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast Assembly Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 ... 239
Author Topic: Northeast Assembly Thread  (Read 381023 times)
Countess Anya of the North Parish
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -4.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1600 on: February 04, 2010, 01:37:36 AM »

I know but he asked, "The question is whether the bill should be considered?"
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1601 on: February 04, 2010, 01:40:43 AM »

Sorry, should explain - this is a procedural vote and it's automatically assumed the vote is passed.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1602 on: February 04, 2010, 01:47:05 AM »

I'd like to move to shorten the debate period to 12 hours.
Countess Anya of the North Parish
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #1603 on: February 04, 2010, 01:50:20 AM »

Sorry, should explain - this is a procedural vote and it's automatically assumed the vote is passed.
oh. well always better safe than sorry.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1604 on: February 04, 2010, 04:07:49 AM »
« Edited: February 04, 2010, 04:17:19 AM by cinyc »

I'd like to move to shorten the debate period to 12 hours.

I'm not going to give you 12 hours, especially when the sponsor hasn't spoken yet.  Assuming the sponsor speaks and decides whether my amendment is friendly, I'll give you a 20:50 debate period, putting us back on the 8PM Eastern open for voting periods that I prefer anyway.   I'm almost always available around then.  
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1605 on: February 04, 2010, 04:15:28 AM »
« Edited: February 04, 2010, 04:25:46 AM by cinyc »

Just a quick thought: The current rules for this body make it difficult for emergency matters to be addressed. It does provide a certain amount of equity, in that everything gets its proper turn, but it also makes it difficult for you to respond to short-term events (as exemplified by taking up the current resolution long after the matter has ended).

Perhaps this is something to look into.

I think that the mover, Rep Kalwejt, could withdraw the motion if he so desired.

Even if he did, it would take quite a while to get to legislation dealing with current issues. Just makes my job hard when you can't react to my reports in a timely fashion (not that most people react at all Tongue).

We have a process for putting more than one item on the agenda at a time - IIRC a vote is held to see if the members want to do it.  It was used by Representative Hamilton in the last session to place a resolution supporting New Mexican independence on the floor, which went down in flames.

For whatever reason, Rep. Kalwejt and the rest of us didn't move to place this item immediately on the agenda when it was more urgent (though it's still relevant today).

We can have legislation for any emergency matter put on the floor within 24 hours of it being drafted - or sooner, if all Reps vote sooner.

BTW - Rep. cutie_15 has a proposed Health Act that we'll probably get to before the end of the session which is a direct response to your news about obesity in the Northeast.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1606 on: February 04, 2010, 05:46:38 AM »

Mr. Speaker. I realize this thing is rather out-of-date since things returned now to "normalcy". While it was a really huge problem for Assembly works, there are more urgent matters now indeed. So, I hereby withdraw this resolution.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1607 on: February 04, 2010, 05:47:37 AM »

Mr. Speaker. I realize this thing is rather out-of-date since things returned now to "normalcy". While it was a really huge problem for Assembly works, there are more urgent matters now indeed. So, I hereby withdraw this resolution.

Good.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1608 on: February 04, 2010, 02:40:50 PM »
« Edited: February 04, 2010, 02:53:54 PM by cinyc »

Okay.   The resolution is withdrawn.

Next bill:

Lt. Governor Vacancy Amendment

1. Article IV, Section viii of the New Northeast Constitution shall be amended and replaced by the following:

If the office of Governor is to become vacant at some point while he or she is in office, than the Lieutenant Governor is to be immediately sworn in as Governor of the Northeast Region.  If the office of Lieutenant Governor is to become vacant at some point while he or she is in office , than the Governor may appoint a new one after the recommendation of the Legislative Assembly of the Northeast Region at any time more than two weeks before the next scheduled gubernatorial election, an election shall be held to replace the fill the vacancy.  The Chief Judicial Officer of the Northeast Region will open the booth for such election on the second Friday after such vacancy occurs at 12:00:00am Eastern Standard Time, and will close said both on the following Sunday at 11:59:59pm Eastern Standard Time. Every citizen will be given the opportunity to vote during this time.  Candidates for Lieutenant Governor will be given until the second Wednesday after such vacancy occurs  to announce his or her candidacy.

2. Article IV, Section xiii of the New Northeast Constitution shall be amended and replaced by the following:

The Lieutenant Governor of the Northeast Region shall be charged with the responsibilities of the Legislative Assembly of the region. He or she shall ensure that the Legislative Assembly has the ability to propose legislation that they are able to be debated on, and voted on during appropriate periods. In the temporary absence of the Lieutenant Governor, than the Governor the Speaker of the Northeast Assembly may take up these responsibilities.

3. Article IV, Section xiv of the New Northeast Constitution shall be amended as follows:

In the temporary absence of the Governor, then the Lieutenant Governor may be allowed to temporarily conduct the duties of the Governor. The Speaker of the Northeast Assembly shall never be allowed to temporarily conduct the duties of the Governor if acting in the temporary absence of the Lieutenant Governor pursuant to Article IV, Section xiii) of this Constitution.

Sponsor: Rep. cinyc

The question is whether the bill should be considered?

The ayes have it.

Debate on this bill will continue until at least 2:45PM Eastern on Saturday, February 6, 2010, unless the debate period is extended or shortened in accordance with the SOAP.

The Sponsor, Representative cinyc, has the floor.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1609 on: February 04, 2010, 02:49:07 PM »

I support it.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1610 on: February 04, 2010, 02:50:13 PM »
« Edited: February 04, 2010, 02:55:37 PM by cinyc »

This is my promised constitutional amendment fixing the Lt. Governor vacancy process.  The current process is unclear and undemocratic.  The Assembly must recommend a replacement to the Governor before he can fill the vacancy, but it's not clear if the Governor must name the person the Assembly recommends.  And since the Assembly is no longer all the citizens of the Northeast, an important elected position is replaced by someone other than the voters.

The amendment calls for an election to fill the vacancy if it occurs at any time more than 2 weeks before the regularly scheduled Gubernatorial election.  The election will be held over the weekend of the second Friday after the vacancy occurs, allowing for time for candidates to declare and campaign.  In the interim, the Speaker takes over the role of Lt. Governor in running the Assembly (technically, the Governor does under the current Constitution), but doesn't get to break ties or automatically fill the shoes of the Governor should that office remain vacant.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1611 on: February 04, 2010, 04:07:17 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

Since I've recently introduced a project of the Act which clarifies the issue of gubernatorial absention, voluntairly and unvoluntairly alike, I think it's better to include this to your amendment.

Would you consider these amendments friendly?

3. Article IV, Section xiv of the New Northeast Constitution shall be amended as follows:

In the temporary absence of the Governor, then the Lieutenant Governor may be allowed to temporarily conduct the duties of the Governor. The Speaker of the Northeast Assembly shall never be allowed to temporarily conduct the duties of the Governor if acting in the temporary absence of the Lieutenant Governor pursuant to Article IV, Section xiii) of this Constitution.

The Governor may declare his absence, thereby allowing the Lieutenant Governor, or the Speaker if Lieutenant Governor is not avaviable or office is vacant, to temporarily conduct the duties of the office, under a title of the Acting Governor of Northeast.

If the Governor is inactive for a period longer than six days, Lieutenant Governor (or speaker as mentioned before) shall automatically assume temporarily conduct the duties of the office.

The Governor shall resume the powers and duties of the office by smilliar declaration.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1612 on: February 04, 2010, 09:56:22 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

Since I've recently introduced a project of the Act which clarifies the issue of gubernatorial absention, voluntairly and unvoluntairly alike, I think it's better to include this to your amendment.

The Governor may declare his absence, thereby allowing the Lieutenant Governor, or the Speaker if Lieutenant Governor is not avaviable or office is vacant, to temporarily conduct the duties of the office, under a title of the Acting Governor of Northeast.

If the Governor is inactive for a period longer than six days, Lieutenant Governor (or speaker as mentioned before) shall automatically assume temporarily conduct the duties of the office.

The Governor shall resume the powers and duties of the office by smilliar declaration.

I'm not so sure about your proposal.  There's an inherent separation of powers issue and huge potential conflict of interest with allowing an elected member of the Assembly (legislature) to assume the powers of the Governor to veto bills.  Some states seem to do it (like New Jersey, where the Senate Majority Leader can become Acting Governor, but that's probably because NJ, until this cycle, didn't have a Lt. Governor.)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1613 on: February 04, 2010, 10:09:42 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

I'm not so sure about your proposal.  There's an inherent separation of powers issue and huge potential conflict of interest with allowing an elected member of the Assembly (legislature) to assume the powers of the Governor to veto bills.  Some states seem to do it (like New Jersey, where the Senate Majority Leader can become Acting Governor, but that's probably because NJ, until this cycle, didn't have a Lt. Governor.)

I understand, but you yourself inluded a proposal of Speaker in the chain of command.

Actually, my point is to include a clear procedure what to do if Governor is absent. I hope you'll accept this part.

(and in NJ it's Senate President, FTR Wink)
segwaystyle2012

Political Matrix
E: 9.68, S: -0.70

« Reply #1614 on: February 04, 2010, 10:13:01 PM »

Separation of powers is necessary.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1615 on: February 04, 2010, 10:19:29 PM »

So ok, but regarding Lt. Governor and Governor, we should have a procedure to deal with absention issue.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1616 on: February 04, 2010, 10:27:50 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

I understand, but you yourself inluded a proposal of Speaker in the chain of command.

Actually, my point is to include a clear procedure what to do if Governor is absent. I hope you'll accept this part.

(and in NJ it's Senate President, FTR Wink)

My Speaker provision merely formalizes the procedure we already have in the SOAP.  The SOAP and Constitution shouldn't be at odds with each other.

Please provide me the actual language you'd propose.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1617 on: February 04, 2010, 10:29:22 PM »

Mr. Speaker, what about this:

The Governor may declare his absence, thereby allowing the Lieutenant Governor to temporarily conduct the duties of the office, under a title of the Acting Governor of Northeast.

If the Governor is inactive for a period longer than six days, Lieutenant Governor shall automatically assume temporarily conduct the duties of the office.

cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1618 on: February 04, 2010, 10:35:30 PM »

The Governor may declare his absence, thereby allowing the Lieutenant Governor to temporarily conduct the duties of the office, under a title of the Acting Governor of Northeast.

If the Governor is inactive for a period longer than six days, Lieutenant Governor shall automatically assume temporarily conduct the duties of the office.

How do we determine whether a Governor is inactive?  His activity isn't as regular as a member of the Assembly - especially if we don't pass any legislation for over a week.  Failure to post anything in Atlasia?  On the Atlast Forum?  In his office thread?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1619 on: February 04, 2010, 10:55:03 PM »

How do we determine whether a Governor is inactive?  His activity isn't as regular as a member of the Assembly - especially if we don't pass any legislation for over a week.  Failure to post anything in Atlasia?  On the Atlast Forum?  In his office thread?

Ok, I see the problem.

I hope you have no problem that Governor can declare absence himself and by transferring temporary his powers to Lt. Governor?

As of undeclared inactivity, let say not performing any duty like signing the bill, after being notified. In other cases, 20 days absence from forum would result in transferring powers to Lt.

How about that?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1620 on: February 05, 2010, 03:47:19 PM »
« Edited: February 05, 2010, 03:49:49 PM by cinyc »

How do we determine whether a Governor is inactive?  His activity isn't as regular as a member of the Assembly - especially if we don't pass any legislation for over a week.  Failure to post anything in Atlasia?  On the Atlast Forum?  In his office thread?

Ok, I see the problem.

I hope you have no problem that Governor can declare absence himself and by transferring temporary his powers to Lt. Governor?

As of undeclared inactivity, let say not performing any duty like signing the bill, after being notified. In other cases, 20 days absence from forum would result in transferring powers to Lt.

How about that?

20 days will work.  21 might be better because it's an even 3 weeks.  It would be pretty clear if the Governor hasn't been active for 21 days.  The courts can decide it, if it's close, I suppose.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1621 on: February 05, 2010, 04:06:36 PM »

I hope it's acceatable:

If the Governor is not performing the duties, like signing or vetoing the bill after being notified, for a period longer than seven days, Lieutenant Governor shall automatically assume temporarily conduct the duties of the office. If Governor is inactive in Atlasia for 21 days, even if had not to perform any duties at the time, Lieuteant Governor shall automatically assume powers and duties as well.

The Governor shall resume the powers and duties of the office by declaration.

cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1622 on: February 05, 2010, 04:10:37 PM »

I hope it's acceatable:

If the Governor is not performing the duties, like signing or vetoing the bill after being notified, for a period longer than seven days, Lieutenant Governor shall automatically assume temporarily conduct the duties of the office. If Governor is inactive in Atlasia for 21 days, even if had not to perform any duties at the time, Lieuteant Governor shall automatically assume powers and duties as well.

The grammar, spelling and style needs to be fixed a bit, but it's otherwise acceptable as friendly to me if no one else raises an objection.  I'll work on tightening up the language.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1623 on: February 05, 2010, 04:13:57 PM »

I hope it's acceatable:

The grammar, spelling and style needs to be fixed a bit, but it's otherwise acceptable as friendly to me if no one else raises an objection.  I'll work on tightening up the language.

Thanks you, Mr. Speaker Smiley
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1624 on: February 05, 2010, 04:20:31 PM »
« Edited: February 05, 2010, 04:32:39 PM by cinyc »

How's this?

xiv)(a) The Governor may publicly declare his absence, thereby allowing the Lieutenant Governor to temporarily conduct the duties of the office, under the title of Acting Governor of Northeast.

b) If the Governor does not perform his or her official duties for a period longer then 7 days,  the Lieutenant Governor shall automatically temporarily conduct the duties of the Governor's office.  Official duties include signing or vetoing bills after being publicly notified of their passage in the Northeast Assembly.  

c) If Governor is inactive on the Atlas Forum for 21 days, the Lieutenant Governor shall automatically temporary conduct the duties of the Governor's office.

d) The Governor shall resume the powers and duties of the office by publicly declaring he is present and able to resume the powers and duties of his office.

e) The Speaker of the Northeast Assembly shall never be allowed to temporarily conduct the duties of the Governor if acting in the temporary absence of the Lieutenant Governor pursuant to Article IV, Section xiii) of this Constitution.

Note that I changed Atlasia to the Atlas Forum.  There could be a situation where the Assembly doesn't pass anything and no actions by the Governor are required.

The last clausewas my original proposed change.

When I have time, I'm going to have to double check whether the new proposal conflicts with any other part of the New Northeast Constitution (I doubt it).
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 ... 239  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies