Northeast Assembly Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:14:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast Assembly Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 66 67 ... 239
Author Topic: Northeast Assembly Thread  (Read 381695 times)
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1525 on: January 26, 2010, 04:14:53 PM »

being happy actualy does affect your health.
see check this out. and listen carefullly.

Happiness does not unclog your plaque-hardened arteries or cure labored breathing.

I fully understand what you are saying. The problem is that what you are saying is ridiculous.

Actually, I don't have high cholesterol. I do have high blood pressure, but it's a genetic trait in my family.

As for labored breathing, since I can't drive, I walk pretty much everywhere. I may not be the fastest guy in the world, but I can walk a pretty good distance without breathing heavy. Not everyone is the same, but I've seen plenty of heavy people get around just fine without labored breathing.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1526 on: January 27, 2010, 11:10:01 AM »

Happiness does not unclog your plaque-hardened arteries or cure labored breathing.

I fully understand what you are saying. The problem is that what you are saying is ridiculous.
No it is not. You just think that it is not possible.

You are an idiot. The worst kind of idiot: a dangerous idiot. All medical evidence out there points to you being dead wrong.

Obesity is MEDICALLY DANGEROUS regardless of whether someone is "happy" or not. Further, your idea is based on the premise that people wouldn't be "happy" being closer to their ideal body weight, which is preposterous. The negative consequences of obesity outweigh medical benefits of "happiness." Period.

Some of the health-related claims of fat acceptance groups are on par with those of AIDS denial groups. I really hope you educate yourself before continuing to spread dangerous information to others.

Being overweight is unhealthy. Being very overweight is very unhealthy. The links between obesity and disease are undeniable.

Before people jump on me here, I'm not railing against people who are a little thick around the middle, or even moderately overweight. Clearly, these people are not in optimal health, but I can see an argument that there is a acceptable trade off.

The problem comes when people are hundreds of pounds overweight. It is a severe health problem, and one that is growing in this country. It is something that this government should be taking active steps to fight.

I do not want to say it is okay to discriminate against people who are obese, because it's not. The scenario outlined—where someone has to pay for two plane seats but only gets one—is clearly wrong and should be illegal. But I'm incredibly leery of the government stepping in and giving the obese "victim" status, or anything that may give the appearance that it is okay to personally accept a negative health condition as something inevitable.

I know I may be stepping on a lot of toes here, because I'm sure a lot of you are currently in the situation I was in back when I was younger. I understand the challenges and trials of being significantly overweight because I've been there. I'm just not comfortable with obesity being written into law as a protected class.

Actually, I don't have high cholesterol. I do have high blood pressure, but it's a genetic trait in my family.

As for labored breathing, since I can't drive, I walk pretty much everywhere. I may not be the fastest guy in the world, but I can walk a pretty good distance without breathing heavy. Not everyone is the same, but I've seen plenty of heavy people get around just fine without labored breathing.

I hope you do not think my arguments or criticism was directed at you in any way. I did not mean to imply that you or anyone else would be guaranteed certain specific problems.

I merely intended to point out the link between obesity and serious health issues.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1527 on: January 27, 2010, 11:48:23 AM »

Please, don't be so emotional.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1528 on: January 27, 2010, 12:03:46 PM »

Yeah, now it's time to chill. You are both awesome persons who don't need to come to such quarrels.

And BTW, the like between overweigh and health problem, even though it exists, is not so strong as you seem to believe. Real problems come only with serious obesity. Weighing 90 or 100 kg for an adult isn't a health problem.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1529 on: January 27, 2010, 12:29:31 PM »

As an observer, I'll tell you the subject is emotional to many, and I support his show of it.
Countess Anya of the North Parish
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #1530 on: January 27, 2010, 12:48:42 PM »

No it is not. You just think that it is not possible.

You are an idiot. The worst kind of idiot: a dangerous idiot. All medical evidence out there points to you being dead wrong.

Obesity is MEDICALLY DANGEROUS regardless of whether someone is "happy" or not. Further, your idea is based on the premise that people wouldn't be "happy" being closer to their ideal body weight, which is preposterous. The negative consequences of obesity outweigh medical benefits of "happiness." Period.

Some of the health-related claims of fat acceptance groups are on par with those of AIDS denial groups. I really hope you educate yourself before continuing to spread dangerous information to others.

Being overweight is unhealthy. Being very overweight is very unhealthy. The links between obesity and disease are undeniable.

Before people jump on me here, I'm not railing against people who are a little thick around the middle, or even moderately overweight. Clearly, these people are not in optimal health, but I can see an argument that there is a acceptable trade off.

The problem comes when people are hundreds of pounds overweight. It is a severe health problem, and one that is growing in this country. It is something that this government should be taking active steps to fight.

I do not want to say it is okay to discriminate against people who are obese, because it's not. The scenario outlined—where someone has to pay for two plane seats but only gets one—is clearly wrong and should be illegal. But I'm incredibly leery of the government stepping in and giving the obese "victim" status, or anything that may give the appearance that it is okay to personally accept a negative health condition as something inevitable.

I know I may be stepping on a lot of toes here, because I'm sure a lot of you are currently in the situation I was in back when I was younger. I understand the challenges and trials of being significantly overweight because I've been there. I'm just not comfortable with obesity being written into law as a protected class.

I hope you do not think my arguments or criticism was directed at you in any way. I did not mean to imply that you or anyone else would be guaranteed certain specific problems.

I merely intended to point out the link between obesity and serious health issues.
now I am not denying that. I never did. I agree with you. i am just saying that being happy can make you a little healthier. That is all. I know lots of thin people who are very very unhealthy. So yes, weight can affect your health. No one is saying otherwise.
and I have never been called an idiot in real life so I must not be one. I dont get the hostility with you.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1531 on: January 27, 2010, 12:51:19 PM »

As an observer, I'll tell you the subject is emotional to many, and I support his show of it.

I understand this because I had obseity problems 3 years ago as well. My point is, we should abstain from calling each other idiots, no matter how we disagree with their positions.
segwaystyle2012

Political Matrix
E: 9.68, S: -0.70

« Reply #1532 on: January 27, 2010, 12:54:53 PM »

Yeah, now it's time to chill. You are both awesome persons who don't need to come to such quarrels.

And BTW, the like between overweigh and health problem, even though it exists, is not so strong as you seem to believe. Real problems come only with serious obesity. Weighing 90 or 100 kg for an adult isn't a health problem.

It is if you are 5'5".

We should be fighting obesity, not accepting it.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1533 on: January 27, 2010, 02:30:09 PM »

Seeing no proposed unfriendly amendments to the bill, we shall vote on its final passage:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This vote shall be held open until  2:30 PM on Thursday, January 28, 2010 unless all Representatives shall have voted earlier.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1534 on: January 27, 2010, 02:31:22 PM »

Aye
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1535 on: January 27, 2010, 02:51:34 PM »

Aye
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1536 on: January 27, 2010, 03:07:48 PM »

aye
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1537 on: January 27, 2010, 03:11:44 PM »

Nay
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1538 on: January 27, 2010, 03:23:08 PM »

Aye
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #1539 on: January 27, 2010, 03:28:02 PM »

Nay.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1540 on: January 27, 2010, 03:52:20 PM »

Nay.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #1541 on: January 27, 2010, 11:20:47 PM »

Nay
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1542 on: January 27, 2010, 11:31:35 PM »

By a vote of 4-4, we have a tie, to be broken by Lt. Governor Smid.  He has been notified.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1543 on: January 28, 2010, 11:14:32 PM »

My deciding vote shall be against this Bill.

Obesity is a serious health issue and more should be done to encourage Northeast citizens to make healthy lifestyle choices, rather than merely attempt to make people more comfortable in making unhealthy ones.

I have a further concern that were this Bill to be passed, a gym that sets two different workout programmes - one aimed at muscle tone for a healthy person and another aimed at weightloss for an obese person - could then be charged under this act for discriminating against the obese person due to the workout programme being different.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1544 on: January 28, 2010, 11:17:35 PM »

I have a further concern that were this Bill to be passed, a gym that sets two different workout programmes - one aimed at muscle tone for a healthy person and another aimed at weightloss for an obese person - could then be charged under this act for discriminating against the obese person due to the workout programme being different.

I'm not sure that's the case, unless the gym was forbidding the obese person to have the workout plan of their choosing.
The Age Wave
silent_spade07
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -2.43

« Reply #1545 on: January 28, 2010, 11:20:48 PM »

I'm not sure that's the case, unless the gym was forbidding the obese person to have the workout plan of their choosing.

Well, the fat people would be holding back the more able people otherwise, right?
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1546 on: January 29, 2010, 01:09:33 AM »

My deciding vote shall be against this Bill.

Obesity is a serious health issue and more should be done to encourage Northeast citizens to make healthy lifestyle choices, rather than merely attempt to make people more comfortable in making unhealthy ones.

That wasn't the intent at all. I will reintroduce the bill in an amended form in the next term if I'm elected.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1547 on: January 29, 2010, 01:54:59 AM »

With the Lt. Governor casting the vote to break the tie, the bill fails.

I hate introducing things this late, but in the interests of keeping things moving, the next bill is:

Amendments to the Northeast Gun Safety Act

1. Any person who has committed a non-murder felony while under the age of 21, will automatically have his rights restored at age 35.
2. Whenever a gun is used as an instrument in the crime, an additional five years will be added to the sentence.

Sponsor: Rep. Dallasfan65

The question is whether the bill should be considered?

The ayes have it.

Debate on this bill will continue until at least 2:00AM Eastern on Sunday, January 31, 2010, unless the debate period is extended or shortened in accordance with the SOAP.

The Sponsor, Representative Dallasfan65, has the floor.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1548 on: January 29, 2010, 01:56:09 AM »

Does someone want to make a motion to end debate as of 11PM Eastern on Saturday, instead of 2AM on Sunday?  I don't like opening votes at 2AM - I can't guarantee I'll be around.
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1549 on: January 29, 2010, 02:00:01 AM »

We should. now adressing the second part of the bill, when you say "a gun is used as an instrument in the crime" do you mean in the room or area just laying around? or what?

Does someone want to make a motion to end debate as of 11PM Eastern on Saturday, instead of 2AM on Sunday?  I don't like opening votes at 2AM - I can't guarantee I'll be around.
we can do that. Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 66 67 ... 239  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies