Northeast Assembly Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:35:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast Assembly Thread (search mode)
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 22
Author Topic: Northeast Assembly Thread  (Read 383726 times)
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #350 on: February 16, 2010, 02:27:45 AM »

My concerns have not been addressed.

Nay.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #351 on: February 16, 2010, 02:41:46 AM »

My concerns have not been addressed.

Nay.

About the size? The Assembly will have 9 members next session, like I said. So it will be the same number either way. It is unlikely the Seats Number amendment passes, so I think we might as well give this a shot. I'm real excited to try this out and hope you change your vote.

Partially about the size - there are too many Representatives as it is.  We have had a lot of turnover every session.  Half of this sitting Assembly was appointed by the Governor (in Rep. Doctor Cynic's case, reappointed).  I hope the Seat Number Amendment passes - even though it likely means I will be out of a job.  12 elected officials from the region is far too many. 

But also about the fact that no one has checked how this would work with the New Northeast Constitution and the proposed amendments that will go to the voters in the upcoming election.  I can't be the only one who does this every time an amendment is proposed.  I don't always have time.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #352 on: February 16, 2010, 02:50:58 AM »

cinyc, the number of Assemblymen is capped at 6 by this proposal. There would never exceed 9 legislators, which is what we will have anyways.

The amendments would have to pass both the House and Senate, like any other legislature. At least let the people vote on it.

If this passes, we will permanently have 12 elected regional officials - 6 Reps, 3 NE Senators, 1 Governor, 1 Lt. Governor and 1 Regional Atlasian Senator.  Add in the appointed CJO, and we're up to 13.  That's awfully high for a region that was fairly dormant just a few months ago.  In my judgment, it's too many - especially if one of the stronger parties in the Northeast wins the presidency and starts appointing Northeasterners to federal offices.

I also worry about things like what happens if both the Seat Number Amendment and the Northeast Senate Amendment pass.  What does the Constitution look like, then?  Those provisions are somewhat conflicting.    And there will be other proposed amendments on the ballot, like the proposal regarding vetoes.  Again, what happens if both pass?  I don't know.   I had time to vet that for the People's Court Amendment.  I didn't for this - and I don't think anyone else has thought it through, either.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #353 on: February 16, 2010, 09:05:44 PM »
« Edited: February 16, 2010, 09:16:17 PM by cinyc »

Edit: Premature
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #354 on: February 16, 2010, 09:07:03 PM »

FYI - If we want this on the ballot, we're going to have to consider this much more quickly than 9:05PM on Thursday.  The vote would have to end some time on Thursday, not begin.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #355 on: February 16, 2010, 09:15:29 PM »
« Edited: February 16, 2010, 09:19:14 PM by cinyc »

Speaker, if I may, the previous legislation did state:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

As Assemblyman Dallasfan65 has yet to vote, it should remain open until then, no?

I'm almost 100% positive I saw Rep. Dallasfan65's vote last night.  I thought I voted after 3 aye votes had already been cast.  

But you are correct - if Rep. Dallasfan65 didn't actually vote, then the vote is still open.  As there is no evidence of his vote, the vote remains open.

If games are being played to stymie legislative progress, there will be repercussions.   Votes should not be deleted.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #356 on: February 17, 2010, 02:27:48 AM »

By a vote of 3-4 with one unexcused absence, the Northeast Senate Amendment fails.

Next bill:

Vacancy filling Act

In accordance to Article V, section ix) of the New Northeast Constitution, vacancies in the Legislative Assembly shall be filled in the following manner :

1. In the case when a vacancy in the Northeast Legislative Assembly is the result of the voluntary resignation of a Northeast Representative, said Representative shall appoint a Northeast Citizen to replace him in the Assembly.
2. In the case when a vacancy in the Northeast Legislative Assembly has another reason that what is mentioned in section 1, the Governor of the Northeast Region shall appoint a Northeast Citizen to fill said vacancy.
3. In the case mentioned in Section 1, if the resigning Northeast Representative doesn't appoint anybody to replace him within a week following his resignation, the Governor of the Northeast Region shall appoint a Northeast Citizen to fill said vacancy.

Sponsor: Rep. Antonio V

The question is whether the bill should be considered?

The ayes have it.

Debate on this bill will continue until at least 2:25AM Eastern on Friday, February 19, 2010, unless the debate period is extended or shortened in accordance with the SOAP.

Note that because this bill is a proposed constitutional amendment, a mere majority vote will not be sufficient to pass.

The Sponsor, Representative Antonio V, has the floor.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #357 on: February 17, 2010, 02:30:25 AM »

It's going to be virtually impossible to pass this amendment in time to get on the ballot.  The vote would have to conclude before 11:00PM or so on Thursday - and the Governor would have to sign it before midnight Friday.

Antonio V - how we proceed is up to you.  Tabling this to move onto your next bill, which isn't a constitutional amendment, might be wise.   You could also move to limit debate to the shortest possible period.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #358 on: February 17, 2010, 01:33:30 PM »

Actually, I'm WRONG.  Article V, Section ix of the New Northeast Constitution states:

So this is just a law, not a Constitutional amendment.  It will NOT go to the voters, and we do have time to handle it. 

Do you still want a minimum debate period?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #359 on: February 17, 2010, 04:44:46 PM »

I support this measure.

It's more about respecting wished of the people. If they elected a man from certain party and with certain wievs, it's appropriate retiring member would be replaced by someone politically close.
sure but what if the people never liked him? shouldn't they be able to choose who they want to replace him? we are suppose to help the people.

There is no proposed meassure to institute rapid special elections, so this project we're currently debating on is the best thing we can get now.

Well, Rep. cutie_15 can certainly offer an amendment calling for a special election if that's what she wants.  It would likely be deemed unfriendly and put to a vote on the Assembly floor - but that's up to Rep. Antonio V.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #360 on: February 18, 2010, 12:13:58 AM »

I offer this amendment:

Vacancy filling Act

In accordance to Article V, section ix) of the New Northeast Constitution, vacancies in the Legislative Assembly shall be filled in the following manner :

1. In the case when a vacancy in the Northeast Legislative Assembly is the result of the voluntary resignation of a Northeast Representative, a special election shall be held to elect a new Representative.
2. The special election must take place no less than 5 days following the vacancy and the booth shall open at 12:00 AM EST on the nearest Friday, provided that Friday is at least 5 days since the vacancy occurred and shall close on that Sunday at 11:59 PM EST.

A few questions: What happens if there is an involuntary resignation?  What's the deadline for declaring?  And who runs the election (usually, it's the CJO in the Northeast).
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #361 on: February 18, 2010, 02:43:47 PM »
« Edited: February 19, 2010, 02:36:50 AM by cinyc »

I have to disagree with my fellow Representative cutie, though I understand her concerns. I deem the Amendment unfriendly.

okay but I prefer we vote on it in that case.

Isn't that a procedure?

Yes.  The proposed amendment to the bill will be put to a vote at the end of the debate period.

Rep. Silent_Spade - am I safe in assuming that your amendment replaces Re. Antonio V's bill in its entirety?

If so, I have amendments to the proposed amendment:

3.  The appropriate official shall place the names of all candidates who declare their intention to run in the special election on the Candidate Declaration Thread before 12:00 midnight Eastern time on the Thursday before the poll opens.  

4.  Any candidate who receives write-in votes must confirm that he or she is willing to assume the vacancy by publicly declaring a willingness to receive write-in votes before the polls close in the Candidate Declaration Thread or writing in his or her own name on the ballot to fill the vacancy.  Otherwise, those write-in votes shall be deemed void.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #362 on: February 19, 2010, 02:29:14 AM »
« Edited: February 19, 2010, 02:36:33 AM by cinyc »

We will now vote on the unfriendly amendment proposed by Rep. Silent Spade, which replaces the proposed bill in its entirety.  

This vote shall remain open until the earlier of 2:25 AM Eastern on Saturday, February 20, or when all Representatives shall have voted.

Note that this is not a vote on final passage, but whether to adopt the amendment instead of the initial language.  A vote on final passage of whatever version of the bill is adopted will commence after the vote on the amendment.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #363 on: February 19, 2010, 03:01:50 PM »

Aye
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #364 on: February 20, 2010, 02:27:20 AM »

By a vote of 6-1 with one excused absence, Rep. Silent Spade's amendment passes.  

We will now vote on final passage of the Vacancy filling Act, as amended:

This vote shall remain open until the earlier of 2:30 AM Eastern on Sunday, February 21, or when all Representatives shall have voted.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #365 on: February 20, 2010, 01:50:32 PM »

Aye on final passage.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #366 on: February 20, 2010, 11:03:55 PM »

Bump:

Reminder:  There is an open vote on the floor.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #367 on: February 21, 2010, 02:39:57 AM »
« Edited: February 21, 2010, 02:45:36 AM by cinyc »

By a vote of 3-1 with 1 express abstention, 1 excused absence and 2 unexcused absences, the Vacancy filling Act passes, and will be presented to the Governor for his signature or veto.

Next bill:

Northeast Anti-discrimination Act

1. The Northeast Government pledges to uphold the rights of all citizens regardless of race, gender, gender identity, size, socioeconomic status, sexuality, ethnicity, religion, and disability status.
2. The Northeast Government will hereby refuse government contracts to any company or organization which is found to discriminate on the basis of race, gender, gender identity, size, socioeconomic status, sexuality, ethnicity, religion, and disability status.
3. The Northeast Government, in hiring, and in representation, shall not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, gender identity, size, socioeconomic status, sexuality, ethnicity, religion, and disability status.

Sponsor: Rep. Antonio V

The ayes have it.

Debate on this bill will continue until at least 2:40AM Eastern on Tuesday, February 23, 2010, unless the debate period is extended or shortened in accordance with the SOAP.  (Hint: If someone wants this bill to have a chance of being passed this session, there needs to be a motion to shorten - and even then, chances of passing it in time are slim).

The Sponsor, Representative Antonio V, has the floor.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #368 on: February 21, 2010, 02:43:40 PM »

I would call for a vote this evening, but seeing that we have an unfriendly amendment on the floor, there's no way we'd get to a vote on final passage before the end of this Assembly.

Therefore, I suggest Reps. Antonio V and Libertas iron out their differences if they want any hope of passing a bill.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #369 on: February 21, 2010, 11:16:40 PM »
« Edited: February 21, 2010, 11:18:59 PM by cinyc »

The Assembly term will end 3 days after the end of elections. So we have the time.

Negative.  Under Article V, Section iv of the New Northeast Constitution, the new Assembly begins on Tuesday.  Even if I called a vote right now, the amendment vote would take 24 hours into this time tomorrow unless all Reps vote before then (doubtful).  The final passage vote wouldn't be over until late Tuesday - when the new Assembly is sworn in.

This bill is as good as dead for this session unless you and Rep. Libertas quickly come to an agreement on language.  Per tradition, it WILL be the first bill on the floor next session as long as someone re-sponsors it in the Northeast Proposed Legislation Thread before the Speaker vote ends.  So repost it in the thread on Tuesday if you want it to be voted on next session.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #370 on: February 22, 2010, 10:16:39 PM »

The sponsor of the current bill on the floor has left the region, thereby automatically resigning his Assembly seat.  Thus, absent an objection, the bill on the floor is out of order and dismissed.  

Every other piece of legislation in the queue is by Former Rep. Antonio V.  Even though CJO RowanBrandon has stayed the election results and kept this Assembly in session for another 48 hours, we have no legislation on the floor to debate.  We will remain adjourned unless and until additional legislation is introduced in the queue.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #371 on: February 23, 2010, 02:04:36 PM »

We will now consider the following resolution:

Thanking Resolution

Northeast Assembly is hereby thanking Governor AndrewCT for his longtime and distinguished service for our region and the people.

Sponsor: Rep. Kalwejt

The ayes have it.

Debate on this bill will continue until at least 2:00PM Eastern on Thursday, February 25, 2010, unless the debate period is extended or shortened in accordance with the SOAP.  (Hint: If someone wants this bill to have a chance of being passed this session, there needs to be a motion to shorten to 12 hours).

The Sponsor, Representative Kalwejt, has the floor.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #372 on: February 23, 2010, 03:26:26 PM »

The minimum I can shorten the debate period to is 12 hours.  So I'll open the vote at 2:00AM Eastern tonight IF this Assembly isn't dissolved by that time.  It may be, if the CJO certifies the election results tonight.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #373 on: February 23, 2010, 07:24:49 PM »

Governor AndrewCT presided over the region from its highs to its lows.  He helped form this Assembly.  We certainly should thank him for his lengthy and distinguished service to the citizens of the Northeast.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #374 on: February 24, 2010, 02:06:26 AM »

It's time for a vote:

The vote on the resolution shall remain open until the earlier of 2:05AM on Thursday, February 25, or when all Representatives shall have voted.  

Note that there may not be time to complete this vote if the new Assembly is seated.  So please cast your vote quickly!
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 22  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies