Should Éamon de Valera have offered condolences over Hitler's death?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:52:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Should Éamon de Valera have offered condolences over Hitler's death?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Should Eamond de Valera have offered condolences over Hitler's death?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 16

Author Topic: Should Éamon de Valera have offered condolences over Hitler's death?  (Read 9116 times)
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2009, 07:37:45 AM »

It's too closely tied to the Catholic Church, in a nutshell. Look at how the soupers (who of course became converts from Catholicism) were treated.

You know, there is a good reason for that. And it's not particularly related to religion as such.

Anyway have you got any criticisms of Ireland BRTD that aren't based on ignorant prejudicial images of the country which hardly have much basis in reality any more?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2009, 10:46:07 AM »

It's too closely tied to the Catholic Church, in a nutshell.

So you hate countries like Italy, Spain, Croatia and Poland too?

Croatia yes. Also one of my least favorite countries in Europe. The rest have all had some level of anti-clericalism, though I still don't like them as much as the Scandinavian Protestant countries.

It's too closely tied to the Catholic Church, in a nutshell. Look at how the soupers (who of course became converts from Catholicism) were treated.

You know, there is a good reason for that. And it's not particularly related to religion as such.

Then you might want to explain why.
KuntaKinte
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -0.52

« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2009, 01:19:38 PM »

Croatia yes. Also one of my least favorite countries in Europe. The rest have all had some level of anti-clericalism, though I still don't like them as much as the Scandinavian Protestant countries.

I don't think it is a good idea to judge countries / peoples only based on one single atribute (in your case: "anti-clericalism").
By the way it sounds more like old fashioned nineteenth century American right wing anti-catholicism to me.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2009, 03:15:40 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You know in order that one should be fed or at least decently fed one had to convert (or at least look like converting) one's religion (to a religion which had long been that of the hated tithe gathering oppressed) might just enrage *some* people.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2009, 10:14:49 PM »

I don't think it is a good idea to judge countries / peoples only based on one single atribute (in your case: "anti-clericalism").
By the way it sounds more like old fashioned nineteenth century American right wing anti-catholicism to me.

My anti-Catholicism is based off liberal reasons.

You know in order that one should be fed or at least decently fed one had to convert (or at least look like converting) one's religion (to a religion which had long been that of the hated tithe gathering oppressed) might just enrage *some* people.

But why should I sympathize with those enraged? After all they would hate my many family members who converted away from Catholicism. And I think their church is full of sh!t anyway. Fuck them. All conversions from Catholicism are fine by me.

Aren't you a Protestant anyway?
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2009, 10:35:20 PM »

BRTD, a few quick things

1. You really need to travel more and to places other than dude fest.
2. Your argument style is Glenn Beckish- not something to be proud of.
3.  What should it matter that he is a Protestant? Is he some sort of race traitor to you?

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2009, 11:44:55 PM »

1. If you haven't noticed I'm not big on typical tourist-y type things. Other than things like Dude Fest my main reason for travel would be great strip clubs...which makes Iowa a better destination than Miami (where the clubs are all overpriced bullsh!t). I don't see anything in Ireland worth visiting.
2. I don't watch the idiot's show and don't pay attention to him, so I'm not too familiar with his style thankfully.
3. This is basically the inverse of my point. Weren't the "soupers" persecuted for being seen as some sort of race traitors to the Catholics? My point though is more that it's foolish to defend people who would've loved to lynch him.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2009, 06:16:53 AM »

3. This is basically the inverse of my point. Weren't the "soupers" persecuted for being seen as some sort of race traitors to the Catholics? My point though is more that it's foolish to defend people who would've loved to lynch him.

No soupers were not *persecuted* as the levels of state persecution on their side more or less (or rather the side of the protestant preachers). They were shunned however to a greater or lesser degree depending on where one was by their catholic comrades. Now if you can't find why some catholics found souperism offensive in period where the Irish population fell by roughly 2 million people, well then there isn't much point in debating anymore...
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2009, 10:51:34 PM »

1. If you haven't noticed I'm not big on typical tourist-y type things. Other than things like Dude Fest my main reason for travel would be great strip clubs...which makes Iowa a better destination than Miami (where the clubs are all overpriced bullsh!t). I don't see anything in Ireland worth visiting.
2. I don't watch the idiot's show and don't pay attention to him, so I'm not too familiar with his style thankfully.

1.  Traveling does not necessarily equal a "tourist"- It can make you see things from a different angle which whatever the argument you usually fail to do.  You claim to have a liberal point of view but are actually very parochial.  Strips clubs are not the be all and end all- hey if you make it to one in your travels fair play but it should not be the reason for an educated person.  Go where you want- Im not on Board Failte- I would recommend something different than you normally do though.
2. As far as I can tell Beck starts with a preconceived notion of the world and then does mental gymnastics to try to fit ANY issue into that neat little notion box.  You also start every argument with your prejudices and will try your damnedest to get every discussion to your premise. You are a hack to your own preset beliefs.
3. No. To use a loose example it may have been akin to calling someone a house n. Relevant only to the history books today. Bad things happened throughout history. Im not really sure why you are obsessed with this and other "Irish"/Catholic issues. Particularly when the peace process has been so successful. If people in Belfast can give up the ghosts I am ponderous as to why someone in Minnesota cannot.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2009, 12:28:19 AM »

No soupers were not *persecuted* as the levels of state persecution on their side more or less (or rather the side of the protestant preachers). They were shunned however to a greater or lesser degree depending on where one was by their catholic comrades. Now if you can't find why some catholics found souperism offensive in period where the Irish population fell by roughly 2 million people, well then there isn't much point in debating anymore...

And the soupers weren't among the 2 million, so what's offensive? They just changed their denomination, like roughly 40% of Americans today who are now a different religion/denomination (or lack thereof) than they were raised. Who gives a fuck?

1.  Traveling does not necessarily equal a "tourist"- It can make you see things from a different angle which whatever the argument you usually fail to do.  You claim to have a liberal point of view but are actually very parochial.  Strips clubs are not the be all and end all- hey if you make it to one in your travels fair play but it should not be the reason for an educated person.  Go where you want- Im not on Board Failte- I would recommend something different than you normally do though.
2. As far as I can tell Beck starts with a preconceived notion of the world and then does mental gymnastics to try to fit ANY issue into that neat little notion box.  You also start every argument with your prejudices and will try your damnedest to get every discussion to your premise. You are a hack to your own preset beliefs.
3. No. To use a loose example it may have been akin to calling someone a house n. Relevant only to the history books today. Bad things happened throughout history. Im not really sure why you are obsessed with this and other "Irish"/Catholic issues. Particularly when the peace process has been so successful. If people in Belfast can give up the ghosts I am ponderous as to why someone in Minnesota cannot.

1. I'm not that well traveled: http://www.mob-rule.com/counties/user-gifs/brtd.gif but frankly I don't see much reason to be. There's not much I'm interested in that I have to travel far to get. Strip clubs and Dude Fest, what else do you need? I suppose I'd love to Sundance or Cannes some day....
2. Meh, perhaps true, but that sounds like a standard internet poster.
3. If you haven't noticed, I really hate the Catholic Church. It's such a repressive archaic institution. I'm no fan of the Southern Baptists, Mormonism, Islam or Scientology either if you haven't noticed, but frankly those are too easy targets that already get enough thrashing.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2009, 12:47:47 AM »
« Edited: October 08, 2009, 12:49:58 AM by Montag »

This is rather amusing, as I expected.

You do know that the Irish did, to a small extent assist the Allies don't you?

Also, I concur with Gully.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2009, 04:39:35 AM »

Clueless = You.

Btw nobody cares about this today (though it is a popular image of the famine).
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies