Right to Life Bill (Motion to Table)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 05:26:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Right to Life Bill (Motion to Table)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Right to Life Bill (Motion to Table)  (Read 6331 times)
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2009, 09:50:57 PM »

I just wonder what sudden justification there is to make a federal policy out of this.

As I have noted, present federal statute regarding abortion applies only to territories and areas under federal jurisdiction.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2009, 11:01:47 PM »

I'd like to know know the Regional Protection Party can support such a clear infringment on Regional Rights?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2009, 10:19:13 AM »

I encourage the Senators to vote nay on this motion and to take afleitch's comments to heart. If you work at it, a comprehensive abortion reform plan may be possible.

I was planning on saving my sex education and birth control program as a part of my legislative agenda.....but I suppose you and afleitch are right. This would be an opportunity to combine both efforts.

I need to think about an amendment for a little while.

NAY on the motion to table.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2009, 10:26:45 AM »

I encourage the Senators to vote nay on this motion and to take afleitch's comments to heart. If you work at it, a comprehensive abortion reform plan may be possible.

I was planning on saving my sex education and birth control program as a part of my legislative agenda.....but I suppose you and afleitch are right. This would be an opportunity to combine both efforts.

I need to think about an amendment for a little while.

NAY on the motion to table.

I was simply raising the concept of a wider ranging sex education programme as one of the potential barriers to abortion reform. I can see the necessity to limit abortion as much as possible, but only in exchange for the most liberal sex education program feasable. There are two potential roadblocks to this;

1. Is this a federal issue? Should we make it one?
2. Would those who wish to outlaw abortion be willing to compromise by a. Keeping it legal but rare and b. Supporting a massive extension of sex education and cheap (possibly free) contraception?

I would be in favour of a liberalisation of sex education in ways that would make a whore blush Grin in exchange for a tougher limit to abortion.

That's the 'deal' But can it be done?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2009, 10:47:13 AM »

I'm very strongly in favor of the best and most comprehensive sex education possible....

Perhaps we should discuss a possible compromise though.....and reject the motion to table now to allow for further debate?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2009, 10:59:59 AM »

But abortion is already restricted in the third trimester in areas under federal jurisdiction.  I don't see what is so unreasonable about current law regarding the subject.

By all means, extend funding for contraception distribution programs (preferably in another bill entirely, and not this one).  Sexual education standards are already quite liberal.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2009, 01:39:10 PM »

I'd like to know know the Regional Protection Party can support such a clear infringment on Regional Rights?

An equal amount of DA and RPP Senators voiced support. One each. That is hardly representative of either party.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2009, 01:41:54 PM »

The RPP's main goal is the protection of personal freedom which normally means a lack of intrusion from the federal government.  However, this issue cannot be left up to the regions as of the dire consequences to one's life if left unchecked
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2009, 01:49:18 PM »

The chairman strongly opposes this bill. I'm pro-choice anyway, but this is a clear infringement on the rights of the regions.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2009, 02:09:59 PM »

The RPP's main goal is the protection of personal freedom which normally means a lack of intrusion from the federal government.  However, this issue cannot be left up to the regions as of the dire consequences to one's life if left unchecked

Who's life is at stake? A fetus is hardly a human being, and I think that has been proven by science over and over again. If a region wishes to ban abortion, then let them, but in no way should the federal government pass a law doing such.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2009, 03:05:21 PM »

I'm very strongly in favor of the best and most comprehensive sex education possible....

Perhaps we should discuss a possible compromise though.....and reject the motion to table now to allow for further debate?

Compromise? What the hell? On this bill?

You don't need to compromise on everything to make everyone happy Franzl, take a stand.

This bill will never have my vote, no matter what amendments you make to it or glitter you throw at it.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2009, 03:12:32 PM »

Compromise? What the hell? On this bill?

You don't need to compromise on everything to make everyone happy Franzl, take a stand.

This bill will never have my vote, no matter what amendments you make to it or glitter you throw at it.

Now wait a minute. Not once did I ever say I was open to banning abortion, far from it actually. My stand is perfectly clear, abortion should be legal and rare.

By compromise...I meant certain restrictions on abortion, like mandatory advice from a doctor before going through with it....or possible restrictions in the last trimester (but Ebowed just made clear that that's already a non-issue).

Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2009, 03:20:11 PM »

I don't see the point, myself. People know abortions are serious business, I doubt the doctor would just invite them in without letting them know of any possible complications, and almost all abortions happen within the first month or two of pregnancy. Anything further seems, to me, like restrictions just so we can point to having made them.

The battle against abortion should be waged through education and prevention. I don't see any point to tinkering with this issue a little except for political points.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2009, 04:41:30 PM »

Alright, I'll put something about abortion education in my sex ed program.

Changing my vote on the motion to table to AYE.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2009, 04:56:56 PM »

Pro-life vs. pro-choice aside, why the hell should this be a federal issue? Give this to the regions so they have something useful or interesting to do for once.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2009, 11:16:24 AM »

Pro-life vs. pro-choice aside, why the hell should this be a federal issue? Give this to the regions so they have something useful or interesting to do for once.
Because the overriding fundamental issues of fetal viability and womens' right (or lack thereof) to terminate a pregnancy should not be subject to 50 different state laws or even five different regional laws. Besides, federal law currently in effect trumps most regional laws other than those that tinker at the edges of regulation (e.g. requiring waiting periods, etc).
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2009, 12:05:22 PM »

This is my view on the issue.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2009, 12:08:47 PM »

This should be a federal issue because regressive regions should not be allowed to curtail the rights of women to have control over their own bodies.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2009, 05:48:26 PM »

This should be a federal issue because regressive regions should not be allowed to curtail the rights of women to have control over their own bodies.

I concur, we should protect at least basic abortion rights on the federal level.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2009, 05:50:27 PM »

Or their future child's body. Tongue
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2009, 06:33:10 PM »

This, I believe, is why no RPP member should want the current bill to make abortion rights a federal issue. The second it does, this bill will be flipped into the reverse.

As a proponent of some form of regional rights, I feel strongly that this should be tabled.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2009, 06:34:23 PM »

This, I believe, is why no RPP member should want the current bill to make abortion rights a federal issue. The second it does, this bill will be flipped into the reverse.

As a proponent of some form of regional rights, I feel strongly that this should be tabled.

Alright. let's have regional governments decide if murder is a crime or not. In that case, abolish the fed altogether.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2009, 07:23:44 PM »

Alright. let's have regional governments decide if murder is a crime or not. In that case, abolish the fed altogether.

I've seen you make this argument far too many times.

Murder and abortion are only interchangeable terms if you believe that the fetus is a human life equal to that of someone who has been born.  Such an assumption is only valid if you are talking to a group of, well, pro-lifers.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2009, 07:28:06 PM »

I've seen you make this argument far too many times.

Murder and abortion are only interchangeable terms if you believe that the fetus is a human life equal to that of someone who has been born.  Such an assumption is only valid if you are talking to a group of, well, pro-lifers.

But you have to put people's views in perspective. Obviously, if Tmthforu or DWTL believe that, they're not going to consider murder as a "regional right." Many people do believe that and it does not make them hypocrites.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2009, 08:18:00 PM »

Which, ironically enough, you are not doing.

Anyway, by all means make abortion a federal issue.  Lief is right.  The Southeast's backwards abortion policy should be changed immediately.

Women should have the right to reproductive autonomy no matter where they live in Atlasia.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies