Palin to give foreign policy speech - but NO REPORTERS ALLOWED
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 25, 2024, 07:59:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Palin to give foreign policy speech - but NO REPORTERS ALLOWED
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Palin to give foreign policy speech - but NO REPORTERS ALLOWED  (Read 2414 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 21, 2009, 08:00:22 AM »

Palin to speak about China in debut speech in Asia
Sep 21 02:48 AM US/Eastern
Former US vice-presidential nominee Sarah Palin is expected to speak about US foreign policy and China in her first keynote speech outside North America, Hong Kong organisers said on Monday.
Palin, mocked during last year's presidential campaign for her lack of experience in foreign affairs and for her verbal gaffes, is due to address hundreds of financial big-hitters at the CLSA Investors' Forum on Wednesday.

"We have asked her to address US foreign policy, to discuss her views on governance, healthcare, and of course, China," Jonathan Slone, chief executive officer of the Asia-focused brokerage, said in an interview with AFP.

Palin was chosen to speak since she's a possible Republican candidate in the next US presidential election and because of her influential role in politics, he said.

But CLSA, an arm of French bank Credit Agricole, decided to close Palin's session to the media after the former Alaska governor indicated that she would have to adjust her speech if reporters were present, Slone said.

"We are very pleased with her attitude towards us. Sarah could have come here and made a media circus," he said.

"But we said to her, 'Look, we want you to give the most information to our clients. Do you feel comfortable doing that with the press around?'

"She said, 'If I do that with the press in the room, I will have to say different things.'"

Slone said they decided to close the event to media because the primary objective of the annual forum was to let their clients get hold of as much industry-related information from the speakers as possible.

He said they had had many closed-door sessions in previous years for the same reason.

Past speakers at the annual CLSA event include former US president Bill Clinton, Clinton's vice-president Al Gore and ex-Federal Reserve chief Alan Greenspan.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 08:01:07 AM »

I love how she says she'll have to change what she says if reporters are around....LOL.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 10:19:04 AM »

She's in favor of China.  It's much classier than paper plates.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 10:19:56 AM »

rebeltarian
rebel_libertarian

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 02:15:54 PM »

I really wish Republicans would stop talking about Sarah Palin.  She's not going to be the nominee for President in 2012, she probably won't even run.  Sarah had her 15 minutes of fame.  Please, stop this crap now.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 08:32:37 PM »

Palin, mocked during last year's presidential campaign for her lack of experience in foreign affairs and for her verbal gaffes, is due to address hundreds of financial big-hitters at the CLSA Investors' Forum on Wednesday.

ka-ching! Stepping down is starting to pay off.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 08:54:38 PM »

I really wish Republicans would stop talking about Sarah Palin.  She's not going to be the nominee for President in 2012, she probably won't even run.  Sarah had her 15 minutes of fame.  Please, stop this crap now.

More like 15 minutes of lame, amirite?
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 08:55:04 PM »

What a waste of money
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 09:14:40 PM »

I'd be interested in at least seeing a transcript of the speech.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 09:16:27 PM »

wow, paying Palin to make a speech on US-Sino relations is like paying a fourth grader to help you with your actuarial exam preparation
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2009, 10:16:00 PM »

It's quite clear that Palin is not the best public speaker.  But she was invited to this event and people are basically paying to see her... so i guess having reporters there really is her choice.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2009, 10:34:24 PM »

"I know a lot about China! I especially liked the sweet and sour chicken and fortune cookies at Uncle Tsao's back in Wasilla!"
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2009, 10:55:25 PM »

McCain's pick is looking smarter every day.

I think Obama and Biden and the democratic camp are sh**tting their pants at this pick.  They likely had a plan of attack against everyone on McCain's short list but I don't think they realized Palin was so high on this list.

Whether it works or not this is one of the bravest political picks a candidate has made in my lifetime and maybe one of the bravest in all time.

We'll see if it's the smartest.

It was interesting yesterday, for the FIRST time, McCain dominated the airwaves, and you had to pay close attention to the news to even know OBIDEN was campaigning.

I have been blasting McCain for being a wimp throughout the campaign........and I'm off to the store to buy some marinade for the crow I'm eating tonight and OBIDEN is off to the pharmacy to grab some valium.   

This is gonna be a fun couple of months ahead.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2009, 12:06:46 AM »

I think Obama and Biden and the democratic camp are sh**tting their pants at this pick.  They likely had a plan of attack against everyone on McCain's short list but I don't think they realized Palin was so high on this list.

Whether it works or not this is one of the bravest political picks a candidate has made in my lifetime and maybe one of the bravest in all time.

It was interesting yesterday, for the FIRST time, McCain dominated the airwaves, and you had to pay close attention to the news to even know OBIDEN was campaigning.

I have been blasting McCain for being a wimp throughout the campaign........and I'm off to the store to buy some marinade for the crow I'm eating tonight and OBIDEN is off to the pharmacy to grab some valium.   

LOL
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2009, 12:08:04 AM »

"I know a lot about China! I especially liked the sweet and sour chicken and fortune cookies at Uncle Tsao's back in Wasilla!"

And it's so cute when he asks me "Fo hewo togo?" and "Smoke no smoke?"
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2009, 01:10:40 AM »

wow, paying Palin to make a speech on US-Sino relations is like paying a fourth grader to help you with your actuarial exam preparation

Palin making a speech on US-Sino foreign relations is like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7qoQS3EiNE
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2009, 07:53:17 AM »

LOL

I still stand by the bravery of the pick and the fact that it did invigorate the McCain campaign........she's a dumb fuck but I'm happy to stand by what I wrote at the time I wrote it.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2009, 11:03:09 AM »

LOL

I don't think GM's comments were that crazy.  At the time, there were definite advantages to choosing Palin.  McCain had to do something bold.  Unfortunately (for me Sad), the changing times and Palin's sub-par performance showed it to be an unwise gamble.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2009, 11:22:34 AM »

A gift of a stocking full of coal at Christmas to the Democrats, yes.  She might well be the Grinch that Stole Obama's Christmas.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2009, 11:28:41 AM »

A gift of a stocking full of coal at Christmas to the Democrats, yes.  She might well be the Grinch that Stole Obama's Christmas.

Uh, I don't take back anything I said at the time I said it.......lol.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2009, 11:30:24 AM »

NO FAT CHICKS ALLOWED EITHER

Looking at you, Madeleine...

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2009, 11:19:05 AM »

And I really wish diffrently, because Palin activity is hurting the Republican Party
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2009, 11:57:01 AM »

The last article I saw said she's getting in the low 6 figures per speech and she signed with a speakers bureau............chaaaaaaaaaaching
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2009, 12:17:10 PM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/09/23/palin-hong-kong-speech-im_n_295812.html

What would the response have been if a major Democratic politician had gone to a Communist country and turned a foreign policy speech into a diatribe against the sitting Republican president?
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2009, 12:20:34 PM »

She mentioned "Obama" three times. Try reading something other than Huffington Post. Even the NY Times had a good article about the speech.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies