Was Woodrow Wilson a U.S. dictator? I think he was...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:30:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Was Woodrow Wilson a U.S. dictator? I think he was...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Was Woodrow Wilson a U.S. dictator? I think he was...  (Read 10036 times)
politicaladdict
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 16, 2009, 04:45:59 PM »

Was Woodrow Wilson a dictator in the literal sense?

Given broad powers to overlook and control pricing and taxing.

Restricted free-speech and it's illegal to criticize his policies and if you did, you'd get a prison sentence and even death somtiems.

Had the power to control newspaper outlets.

Protesters and dissidents beaten up by police under his administration.

"The Committee on Public Information" pretty much considered the propaganda department.

"In the fashion of a police state, the Department of Justice arrested tens of thousands of individuals without just cause. One was not safe even within the walls of one’s own home to criticize the Wilson administration.

The Justice Department created the precursor to the Gestapo called the American Protective League. Its job was to spy on fellow citizens and turn in “seditious” persons or draft dodgers. In September of 1918 in NYC, the APL rounded up about 50,000 people.

And even dragged us into WWI.

Benito Mussolini even admitted to adopting policies to fascism from Woodrow Wilson.

But never the less, he nevr stood in power longer than an average president.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 04:47:04 PM »

Idiot.
politicaladdict
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 04:50:32 PM »

B******!
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 04:52:54 PM »

lol
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 04:55:24 PM »

Sorta.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 05:01:43 PM »

No, Wilson was democratically elected.

What's scarier? That Woodrow Wilson was a president or that people voted him into office?
politicaladdict
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 05:03:44 PM »

I understand the fact that if had absolute power, atleast temporarily, they were granted by congress.

But nontheless, it seems he had a huge amount of control under his administration.

And did he have as much power Lincoln did in an under martial law?
politicaladdict
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 05:05:52 PM »

What's scarier? That Woodrow Wilson was a president or that people voted him into office?

Fujimori was elected in Peru and expanded his power.

Lukashenko was elected in Belarus and expanded his power.

And was Hitler elected or appointed?
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 05:12:19 PM »
« Edited: September 16, 2009, 05:17:25 PM by Mechman »

Granted.
Maybe I'm a dumbass on this issue but wasn't Woodrow Wilson elected into office twice?
Didn't he also decide not to run again in 1920 because he got unpopular?
A true dictator gains enough power as to make removal (via democratic means) almost impossible. In the election of 1916 there was a possibility that Wilson would lose the election. Also, while I won't argue that Wilson was possibly one of the most unconstitutional presidents ever he still needed a bit more to accomplish to get that well deserved title of "dictator".
Dictators aren't democratically removed from power, they are removed by force.
Woodrow Wilson was enough of a douche to be a dick, but he didn't have the balls to be a dictator.

Believe me, I would love it if the history books called Wilson a dictator, but I don't think there is enough evidence that he fit the definition of one.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009, 05:14:43 PM »

Granted.
Maybe I'm a dumbass on this issue but wasn't Woodrow Wilson elected into office twice?
A true dictator gains enough power as to make removal (via democratic means) almost impossible. In the election of 1916 there was a possibility that Wilson would lose the election. Also, while I won't argue that Wilson was possibly one of the most unconstitutional presidents ever he still needed a bit more to accomplish to get that well deserved title of "dictator".
Woodrow Wilson was enough of a douche to be a dick, but he didn't have the balls to be a dictator.

Believe me, I would love it if the history books called Wilson a dictator, but I don't think there is enough evidence that he fit the definition of one.

Technically, Wilson was unable to serve the full term he was elected to. I doubt he could've avoided being "democratically removed".
politicaladdict
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2009, 05:16:35 PM »

Granted.

Fujimori resigned after pressure.

Not very many history books even mentioned his policies.

And plus, I had to search more and more on the internet to come to some very rare sources, adnd didn't even know this until you discover the roots of fascism.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2009, 05:21:05 PM »

Remember, Wilson was reelected by the smallest margin in American history; his Party then lost Majorities in Congress at the next election.  Hardly something that would happen under a Dictator.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2009, 05:25:54 PM »

Remember, Wilson was reelected by the smallest margin in American history; his Party then lost Majorities in Congress at the next election.  Hardly something that would happen under a Dictator.

?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2009, 05:28:37 PM »

?

lol, fail
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2009, 06:32:15 AM »

Granted.

I have not much to add.

Word "dictator" is overused and that's not good, because by all stupid analogies we only make real dictatorship throught history looks less serious.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2009, 06:13:17 PM »

?

That makes no sense.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2009, 06:18:05 PM »

Bush was an idiot and abused a law, but still was far from being dictator, even if he would love to.

It's really hard to me to defend Bush Tongue
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2009, 06:19:27 PM »

?

That makes no sense.

Bush was elected and re-elected by very small margins, yet was pretty much a dictator in that he usurped power and implemented a clearly authoritarian regime, and has Bush gone anywhere? Obama IS Bush.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2009, 09:14:37 PM »

?

That makes no sense.

Bush was elected and re-elected by very small margins, yet was pretty much a dictator in that he usurped power and implemented a clearly authoritarian regime, and has Bush gone anywhere? Obama IS Bush.

The last sentence is mostly right (except in foreign policy, which is the only place where the parties differ at all), but that doesn't make either of them dictators.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2009, 09:15:28 PM »

?

That makes no sense.

The last sentence is mostly right (except in foreign policy, which is the only place where the parties differ at all), but that doesn't make either of them dictators.

The electoral system is flawed.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2009, 09:16:54 PM »

Roll Eyes
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2009, 10:39:11 PM »

Wilson was an awful man, but alas, he was not a dictator.

I'd also like to point out that Bush is a 21st Century example of Wilsonianism in the modern age.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2009, 11:29:48 PM »

I'd also like to point out that Bush is a 21st Century example of Wilsonianism in the modern age.

Except George Bush cared about black people.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2009, 11:35:38 PM »

Except George Bush cared about black people.

Yes and other ethnic minorities.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2009, 09:01:32 AM »

lol
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length