Atlasian Conservative Organization Scores
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 07, 2024, 04:55:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Atlasian Conservative Organization Scores
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Atlasian Conservative Organization Scores  (Read 5705 times)
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2009, 09:16:43 PM »

Shouldn't there be three categories, as in real life?

I see no reason why the force against terrorists bill should affect the social score--it's a matter of foreign policy.

Perhaps.  One problem with creating 3 scores is that there's probably not enough legislation to make them meaningful.  If there's only one major foreign policy (or social policy) vote, then everyone's score will be 0 or 100.  And the ACO prefers not to score every bill - that will decrease any potential influence we may (or may not) have.   Plus, the major recent foreign policy actions - like free trade treaties - are ultimately economic, too.  So they might end up being scored in 2 categories.

Thinking out loud, if we want 3 scores, the general rules would be:

Economic Score - Votes that would effectively increase economic freedom and support free-market economic principles would increase a Senator's ACO score.
Social Score - Votes that recognize the role of the traditional nuclear family and religious freedom will increase a Senator's ACO score.
Foreign Policy Score - Votes that would effectuate neo-con foreign policies and free trade will increase a Senator's ACO score.

Exactly, together with an overall score (as Smid proposed earlier).
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2009, 11:12:56 PM »

I was thinking of doing this the other way, but I decided it was not my place as GM. Nor do I have the time. But I definitely hope you keep this up! Smiley
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2009, 11:50:00 PM »

This looks interesting. Makes me wish I were still a Senator. Tongue
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2009, 01:08:21 AM »

I don't expect to have an high score here. I don't expect Conservatives' votes in elections, too. Liberals' votes are more than enough in Pacific.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2009, 01:20:16 AM »

I don't expect to have an high score here. I don't expect Conservatives' votes in elections, too. Liberals' votes are more than enough in Pacific.

Well, a low score should be a high score to you and doctrinal liberals.  The ACO scores potentially work both ways.

Thinking about things further, the ACO is going to try to score no fewer than 5 and no more than 10 votes per session and at least 2 votes of each subtype (which may cause the overall number of scored votes to get as high as 11 or 12, if necessary, and may not be possible this session due to the late start). 

It's always possible that we decide not to score a bill should it sufficiently change in between the time it is proposed and the time it is voted upon for final passage.   And it's possible that we may score procedural or amending votes that come to our attention.

The ACO is considering scoring at least 2 (probably 3) of the bills in the current queue.   
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2009, 01:22:14 AM »

This sounds like a very good idea, I'm looking forward to being rated.

Although I can already see the attack ads Smiley
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2009, 01:25:42 AM »

Any reason for the no more than 10 part? (Not a criticism, just curious).
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2009, 01:45:22 AM »

Any reason for the no more than 10 part? (Not a criticism, just curious).

As a non-partisan conservative advocacy group, the ACO wants to be a little bit selective in the votes it chooses to score in order to have a bit more clout in advancing its agenda.  Scoring every vote would diminish our potential influence.  Imposing an upper limit on the number of bills to score forces the ACO to think about whether a particular bill is important enough to score. 

For example, the ACO could have easily taken a position on the Air Passenger Protection Bill.    In its current form, the bill would economically hurt the airline industry and arguably is not in the best interests of airline passengers, even if many think it is.  But given that the bill's impact is limited to one industry and its effect on passengers is debatable, we've decided not to score it.

Plus, it's easier to only have to track up to 10 bills per session.
------
The only remaining kink I need to work out is how to score abstentions or excused absences.  It's easier to treat them the same as voting against the ACO's position when everything is put into my automatic score-generating spreadsheet.   But that's probably not the best way - ignoring them in the numerator and denominator probably makes more sense.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2009, 09:06:05 AM »

I'll be working hard to get your lowest score. Smiley

That what your voters want you to do. Wink
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2009, 03:18:37 PM »

I predict RB will be the most conservative senator and that Yank will actually rank toward the bottom.  This paper will get a jumpstart once I take office in January Smiley
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2009, 03:21:42 PM »

I think that RowanBrandon will end up the most conservative senator, and the most liberal will turn out to be MaxQue or Marokai Blue.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2009, 03:38:35 PM »

I think that RowanBrandon will end up the most conservative senator, and the most liberal will turn out to be MaxQue or Marokai Blue.

I'm fairly more liberal than Max, who unfortunately falls victim to his odd Catholic hangups now and again.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2009, 03:41:57 PM »
« Edited: September 16, 2009, 03:43:30 PM by True Conservative »

I'm fairly more liberal than Max, who unfortunately falls victim to his odd Catholic hangups now and again.

MaxQue is a Catholic?? Shocked

And I really do not think that either of you is that much more conservative than the other; I actually expect both of you to get similar scores.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2009, 03:46:15 PM »

I wonder where I'd fit on this scale.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2009, 03:50:14 PM »

MaxQue is a Catholic?? Shocked

Like 89% of Quebec or so.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2009, 03:53:39 PM »

Well I can tell you NC Yankee and myself probably won't be the most conservative Senators. Tongue
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2009, 04:05:56 PM »

Yes.

I just don't believe than religion should be involved in politics. Government isn't there to regulate moral.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2009, 04:11:42 PM »

Yes.

I just don't believe than religion should be involved in politics. Government isn't there to regulate moral.

Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2009, 04:13:53 PM »

Yes.

Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2009, 05:25:40 PM »

Yes.

What?
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2009, 06:18:08 PM »

Back when I was a Senator of course.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2009, 09:13:39 PM »
« Edited: September 17, 2009, 12:39:29 AM by cinyc »

The ACO will score the Global Treaty Organization Expansion Bill 2.   A vote for the bill will increase a Senators' overall ACO and ACO Foreign Policy scores.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2009, 09:14:39 PM »

The ACO will score the Global Treaty Organization Expansion Bill 2.   A vote for the bill will increase a Senators' overall ACO, ACO Economic and ACO Foreign Policy scores.

Why?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2009, 09:15:22 PM »

The ACO will score the Global Treaty Organization Expansion Bill 2.   A vote for the bill will increase a Senators' overall ACO, ACO Economic and ACO Foreign Policy scores.

Why?

I'm curious as well. Although, I oppose the whole thing, so I'm happy to get a bad score.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2009, 09:17:07 PM »

Why?

I'm curious as well. Although, I oppose the whole thing, so I'm happy to get a bad score.

As do I. Supporting increased intervention in affairs unrelated to our nation's well-being as well as ceding national sovereignty to a multinational organization are the antithesis of conservatism.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies