Do you remember what you were doing on 9/11/2001?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:39:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Do you remember what you were doing on 9/11/2001?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Poll
Question: Do you remember?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 55

Author Topic: Do you remember what you were doing on 9/11/2001?  (Read 5230 times)
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2009, 06:32:19 PM »

What the hell is your problem? Of course I didn't mean forever, but for a long time. Do you even care for the innocent people that died on this day?

Did I say I didn't? In what way did this change the world?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9/11#Aftermath

That's how it changed the world.  It led to two wars and shifted American foreign policy, among other things.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2009, 06:35:35 PM »

I was sitting in my 7th grade Social Studies class waiting to start class. My teacher was standing outside the room, and another teacher came running down the hallway yelling "They're bombing NY, they're bombing NY!" So my teacher came in, turned the TV on. And all I can remember after that is that we just sat there in silence watching. It didn't seem real, like it was really happening. After a little while, the principal came over the intercom and told the teachers to turn off the TV's. After school, I came home and turned on the TV and just sat there watching the rest of the night.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2009, 06:37:26 PM »

What the hell is your problem? Of course I didn't mean forever, but for a long time. Do you even care for the innocent people that died on this day?

That's not the point.  This is not the place for political debate.  Like I've said, if you've got a bone to pick or this doesn't affect you in any way, at least have the respect to shut up and keep your social commentary to yourself.

Dude, this a political forum. It's a place for debate. 9/11 is not off limits.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2009, 06:37:54 PM »

During the 1990s I was obsessed with skylines (and still am, to an extent), so I spent a lot of time collecting postcards of New York City and drawing the skyline on construction paper. I also remember trying to build New York City in Sim City 2000 and being ecstatic at the prospect of visiting the World Trade Center sometime during the mid 1990s. Had a chance to visit it in 2000, but didn't have the time Sad

oh well, yeah. now the place is a barren wasteland. it's terrible. My brother's apartment in Brooklyn has a fantastic view of Lower Manhattan from the roof; it's the type of place where you blast all those cheerful late 1990s songs, sit back, and drink your favorite beer. but the experience is heavily.....subdued by the constant reminder of omission. Seriously Xahar, go to New York City, go to the top of any structure facing lower Manhattan, pop open some Blue Moon, and then tell me the experience is the same as it was in, say, 1996. And that, amigo, is how the world has changed. You can say it's all in our minds, but our minds are the only thing we have.

Sir I congratulate you on having by far the best post out of everyone here. This reminds me of that episode of the Daily Show I saw where Jon Stewart talks about the new view from his apartment: instead of the World Trade Center he now sees the Statue of Liberty.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2009, 06:38:22 PM »

That's how it changed the world.  It led to two wars and shifted American foreign policy, among other things.

That's a quite broad definition of "change the world forever".

During the 1990s I was obsessed with skylines (and still am, to an extent), so I spent a lot of time collecting postcards of New York City and drawing the skyline on construction paper. I also remember trying to build New York City in Sim City 2000 and being ecstatic at the prospect of visiting the World Trade Center sometime during the mid 1990s. Had a chance to visit it in 2000, but didn't have the time Sad

oh well, yeah. now the place is a barren wasteland. it's terrible. My brother's apartment in Brooklyn has a fantastic view of Lower Manhattan from the roof; it's the type of place where you blast all those cheerful late 1990s songs, sit back, and drink your favorite beer. but the experience is heavily.....subdued by the constant reminder of omission. Seriously Xahar, go to New York City, go to the top of any structure facing lower Manhattan, pop open some Blue Moon, and then tell me the experience is the same as it was in, say, 1996. And that, amigo, is how the world has changed. You can say it's all in our minds, but our minds are the only thing we have.

You know, you sound a lot like angus these days.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2009, 06:41:34 PM »

Sir I congratulate you on having by far the best post out of everyone here. This reminds me of that episode of the Daily Show I saw where Jon Stewart talks about the new view from his apartment: instead of the World Trade Center he now sees the Statue of Liberty.

Excellent post, Boris.

That's a quite broad definition of "change the world forever".

Yes, but it did affect many people's lives and it did change the world forever, as all events in history change the world forever.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2009, 06:41:40 PM »

Dude, this a political forum. It's a place for debate. 9/11 is not off limits.

This is the forum community and this is a thread meant for remembering the profound emotional affects an incredible day had on those in our community.  It's common decency not to turn it into a political debate.  An action those on your side have so ironically condemned of George Bush.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2009, 06:48:40 PM »

Obviamente. It's hard not to remember it.

I was in Riyadh (yawn) and I came out of the kitchen where I had been finishing up homework (it was 16:03 in Riyadh when the second plane hit, and school finished at 14:40 then), I think, and my mom was, as usual, switching on the TV while I started playing with something. And the coverage on CNN was still of the first plane, which we thought to be some stupid Cessna pilot. Like one minute later, the second plane hit. We knew something was wrong, and my mom called my dad at his office and told him about what had happened, and he also told his Iranian-American 'boss' and his Saudi co-workers, who, IIRC, were also equally shocked and probably more pissed off than we were. I think one of them called the hijackers bastards or the like. That night, Meet the Teacher Night was cancelled and everybody overreacted on September 12 and we ended up being like 5 in class and watched movies.

Of course, my memories of May 12 2003 are much clearer and detailed than 9/11. Partly because it was in my neck of the woods and I was slightly older.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2009, 07:54:22 PM »

Yes - I was in gym class - our teachers told us right before we played kickball.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2009, 07:58:56 PM »

I had just gotten to English class, second period, after Physics class in first period.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2009, 08:21:25 PM »

I was in school like 90% of the people on here probably were.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2009, 08:23:19 PM »

I was in 1st grade, and they sent us home because there was a gas leak, or something.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2009, 08:25:41 PM »

I was in school like 90% of the people on here probably were.

I was not, because we finished very early that day
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2009, 08:26:06 PM »

By the time I woke up both towers had been hit. The first thing I consciously remember is the radio mentioning something about them thinking the Washington Monument could be another possible target. I had no idea what they were taking about.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2009, 08:30:42 PM »

I was in 1st grade, and they sent us home because there was a gas leak, or something.

Huh, You are sixteen, but you were in first grade when the planes hit?
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2009, 08:32:10 PM »

I remember blurting out in class that it was the communists.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2009, 08:33:31 PM »

I was at work at the Franklin County Courthouse in Columbus, Ohio. It's a skyscraper. My girlfriend at the time worked in the mayor's office in Alexandria, VA (which I had confused with Arlington where the Pentagon is). My sister worked not far north of the Financial District in Manhattan and watched the entire thing from her office. My father flew frequently out of Pittsburgh near where the fourth plane crashed.

Long day in a lot of ways.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2009, 08:41:26 PM »

I'm 18 and I was in 5th grade... so yeah. Something's a little off there.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2009, 08:44:28 PM »

I'm 18 and I was in 5th grade... so yeah. Something's a little off there.
BEN IS AN AGE LIAR, GUISE.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2009, 08:46:40 PM »

Yes
I was at my Grandmother's house. We had the TV on, and a few of us were watching it, while getting ready for my Grandpy's funeral. Me, being only 7, didn't think much of it, and since we traveled from Illinois to Kansas that night, I never saw the news coverage.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2009, 08:50:54 PM »

I was in the school cafeteria when I heard the news from another student. His story of the event wasn't completely accurate, obviously, but later our teacher sat us all down to explain to us what had happened, and not to worry.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2009, 08:56:56 PM »

I was in the school cafeteria when I heard the news from another student. His story of the event wasn't completely accurate, obviously, but later our teacher sat us all down to explain to us what had happened, and not to worry.

My cafeteria was under the impression that Canada had bombed us. Winners, indeed.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2009, 08:58:29 PM »

I also remember my teacher wanting to turn on the news in the afternoon to check to see if the malls were going to be open. She wanted to buy new shoes later.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2009, 08:58:41 PM »

Did you learn really late in the day?
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2009, 08:58:58 PM »
« Edited: September 11, 2009, 09:02:27 PM by Minister of Free Time Hashemite »

In a way, it would have been funny to see the reaction of my old school in Riyadh if the attacks had been announced to us while in school.

They told us about some random bombing of the Saudi security building in 2004, I think it was, but by then bombings were usual and everybody was happy that it was Wednesday.

2004 was a damn crazy year in Riyadh, sh**t.

I also remember my teacher wanting to turn on the news in the afternoon to check to see if the malls were going to be open. She wanted to buy new shoes later.

Winner.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies