Gordon Brown vetoed Libyan payout to IRA victims
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:09:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Gordon Brown vetoed Libyan payout to IRA victims
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gordon Brown vetoed Libyan payout to IRA victims  (Read 907 times)
afleitch
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 05, 2009, 03:08:34 PM »

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article6823348.ece

GORDON BROWN personally vetoed an attempt to force Colonel Muammar Gadaffi to compensate IRA bomb victims because it might have jeopardised British oil deals with Libya.

Documents passed to The Sunday Times reveal how the prime minister took a close interest in a campaign to secure payouts for the 2,500 families of those blown up by the Libyan-supplied Semtex explosive used by republican bombers.

However, Brown refused to help the victims because of government concerns that putting pressure on Gadaffi might lead to Libya withdrawing co-operation over trade and the war against Islamic terrorism.

The documents will cause embarrassment for Brown as he faces new questions over the early release of the convicted Lockerbie bomber Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed al-Megrahi
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 03:12:41 PM »

Is Gordon Brown trying to see how disastrous Labour can lose?
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 03:40:45 PM »

It get's worse;

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/libya/6143073/Revealed-Libya-paid-for-medical-advice-that-helped-Lockerbie-bombers-release.html

Medical evidence that helped Megrahi, 57, to be released was paid for by the Libyan government, which encouraged three doctors to say he had only three months to live.

The life expectancy of Megrahi was crucial because, under Scottish rules, prisoners can be freed on compassionate grounds only if they are considered to have this amount of time, or less, to live.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 03:46:30 PM »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/8239572.stm

I love to e a doomsayer for Labour, but surely this is IT for Brown, hell, how long can it be before he's gone or an election is called.

I think the Conservatives and LD's need to make moves to vote no confidence in the gov't. I really think the Lib dems could be the opposition in a few months time.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 03:56:32 PM »

There have been rumours of yet another 'topple Brown' movement which probably won't amount to much. I just can't wait for a GE...but we won't get it till the last possible moment I fear.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 04:09:11 PM »

There have been rumours of yet another 'topple Brown' movement which probably won't amount to much. I just can't wait for a GE...but we won't get it till the last possible moment I fear.

So what might be the consequences in Scotland now that the obvious truth has be proven, that the Gov't had a big hand in the decision to release him, and the deal included oil, and that the SNP ultimately decided to carry it out for them?

Who benefits?

And most importantly, where are my Labour friends on the forum to restate the fact that this was all done by the SNP and that the gov't had nothing to do with it and it didn't include trade issues.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 04:13:51 PM »

So what might be the consequences in Scotland now that the obvious truth has be proven, that the Gov't had a big hand in the decision to release him, and the deal included oil, and that the SNP ultimately decided to carry it out for them?

Who benefits?

And most importantly, where are my Labour friends on the forum to restate the fact that this was all done by the SNP and that the gov't had nothing to do with it and it didn't include trade issues.

Tough one. I think everyone believes that pressure was on the Scottish Government; may not be true but it softens it for the SNP. I just don't see the 'venom' towards them in Scotland. I still feel the SNP will win again in 2011 and probably aquire a 5-10 seat lead over Labour. By then Lockerbie won't be an issue.

The more and more Labour take a hit, the less chance the Tories or the Lib Dems will entertain trying to bring the SNP minority administration down to let Labour in the back door.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2009, 04:21:41 PM »

Headline doesn't really match what's being alleged, what's being alleged is morally dubious but not exactly surprising or sensational.

There have been rumours of yet another 'topple Brown' movement which probably won't amount to much.

Note that Martin Kettle wrote a column about it. This means that nothing will happen. Kettle is second only to Rees-Mogg when it comes to awful predictions. His music criticism has gone downhill as well.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2009, 04:25:17 PM »

You seem to have a curious definition of both "obvious truth" and "proven".

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That's not exactly my position, but I'm over here Smiley
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2009, 04:37:39 PM »
« Edited: September 05, 2009, 04:40:29 PM by Benn in 2010 »

I can't say I've ever heard of this campaign to get Gadaffi to pay out. I'm sure some relatives would be insulted by a payment from him.

By the way, just because someone gets paid for some medical advice doesn't automatically mean that they've skewed it.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2009, 04:52:32 PM »

Sad

Apparently. Wow, I can't wait for a new leader once he loses.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2009, 03:32:50 PM »

Brown makes a "U-turn"
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2009, 04:09:44 PM »

Seemingly
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies