Farage to stand against Bercow
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:20:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Farage to stand against Bercow
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Farage to stand against Bercow  (Read 1892 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 03, 2009, 06:31:35 AM »

BBC article here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8235626.stm

Don't think this counts as much of a surprise, but there you go. Interesting that the article says there will be no Labour candidate - normally Labour does run candidates against Speaker's from other parties (and the SDP did in the '80's, oddly enough).
doktorb
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 07:42:17 AM »

Of course Labour won't run against him, Bercow was the de facto Labour candidate. They wouldn't want to upset any apple carts even if the cart has no apples!

Farage standing against him will make this fight a little more interesting but it will still be a "Conservative Hold", as t'were. Yes the inflated Farage vote in Bromley and Chislehurst suggests safe Tory seats can give him some support but the unique set-up in Speaker elections will not give him the opportunity to win.

SkyNews got things a little wrong when they suggested Farage was standing against Bercow "for the post of Speaker" Cheesy
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 01:39:33 PM »

Farage i think will get third place in that seat, maybe second. I think the UKIP's vote could double thier 2005 vote, i think they will get about 3-4% nationally. As for the BNP, well, i can see them getting a few seats, mainly in the North.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 01:48:32 PM »

Farage i think will get third place in that seat, maybe second. I think the UKIP's vote could double thier 2005 vote, i think they will get about 3-4% nationally. As for the BNP, well,i can see them getting a few seats, mainly in the North.

...?
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 01:52:34 PM »

Farage i think will get third place in that seat, maybe second. I think the UKIP's vote could double thier 2005 vote, i think they will get about 3-4% nationally. As for the BNP, well, i can see them getting a few seats, mainly in the North.

They'll get one at most probably, and it'll be in that area in London where they're the second party in the council. Dahenham is it?

UKIP are more likely to get a handful off seats, they are the socially acceptable party for racists after all.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 02:56:49 PM »

UKIP and BNP probably won't get any seats. Euros and Westminster are different babies altogether.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 04:38:05 PM »

Even in the Euro elections (low turnout + extremely conductive to mindless protest voting) the BNP won't have finished first in any constituency. Not even close, actually.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 05:38:15 PM »

Even in the Euro elections (low turnout + extremely conductive to mindless protest voting) the BNP won't have finished first in any constituency. Not even close, actually.

They didn't finish second in any constituency, as I recall, maybe not even third. Barking is still worth watching, though.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 05:51:41 PM »

They didn't finish second in any constituency, as I recall, maybe not even third. Barking is still worth watching, though.

They were a very close third to the Conservatives there in '05, although in a seat like Barking it would take something HUGE to overturn that majority, made even more difficult for the BNP due to them being a hated, racist (and third) party. They came a close fourth in Dagenham (Jon Cruddas' seat).
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 07:21:52 PM »

They were a very close third to the Conservatives there in '05, although in a seat like Barking it would take something HUGE to overturn that majority, made even more difficult for the BNP due to them being a hated, racist (and third) party. They came a close fourth in Dagenham (Jon Cruddas' seat).

I was referring to Euros, but yes, all true Smiley
Harry Hayfield
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2009, 04:02:51 AM »

According to UK-Elect the Buckingham seat is made up of:

Wards from Aylesbury Vale: Bierton, Brill, Buckingham North, Buckingham South, Cheddington, Edlesborough, Great Brickhill, Great Horwood, Grendon Underwood, Haddenham, Long Crendon, Luffield Abbey, Marsh Gibbon, Newton Longville, Pitstone, Quainton, Steeple Claydon, Stewkley, Tingewick, Waddesdon, Weedon, Wing, Wingrave, Winslow

Wards from Wycombe: Icknield, The Risboroughs

And in the Euros, UKIP polled 20.10% in Aylesbury Vale and 18.40% in Wycombe
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies