Election stealing in Nevada and Oregon
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:15:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Election stealing in Nevada and Oregon
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Election stealing in Nevada and Oregon  (Read 7713 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 12, 2004, 11:28:51 PM »
« edited: October 13, 2004, 12:18:42 AM by jfern »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.klas-tv.com/Global/story.asp?S=2421595&nav=168XRvNe

It also seems to affect Oregon:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2004/10/13/02830/224
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2004, 11:58:04 PM »

Ah, I hate to point this out, but if I go around with voter registration forms, I have no legal obligation to turn them in.

I will also point out, that since "Moter-Voter," someone wishing to register can do so, by mail, and that the forms are availible at government offices, including the Post Office.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2004, 11:59:33 PM »

I don't care if it is illegal or not. This is still despicable. It should be illegal to falsely make people believe they are registered.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2004, 12:05:36 AM »
« Edited: October 13, 2004, 12:08:25 AM by jfern »

Ah, I hate to point this out, but if I go around with voter registration forms, I have no legal obligation to turn them in.

I will also point out, that since "Moter-Voter," someone wishing to register can do so, by mail, and that the forms are availible at government offices, including the Post Office.

Not only is election stealing, it's a felony. These people thought they were registered, and are not because of shreading. Today was the deadline, so these people are screwed. If Kerry loses Nevada by a few hundred votes, I predict civil war.

"Title 24, Nevada Revised Statutes Sec. 293.505

8. A field registrar, employee of a voter registration agency or person assisting a voter pursuant to subsection 12 of NRS 293.5235 shall not:

(a) Delegate any of his duties to another person; or

(b) Refuse to register a person on account of that person's political party affiliation.

12. A county clerk, field registrar, employee of a voter registration agency or person assisting a voter pursuant to subsection 12 of NRS 293.5235 shall not:

(b) Alter or deface an application to register to vote that has been signed by an elector except to correct information contained in the application after receiving notice from the elector that a change in or addition to the information is required; or

14. A person who violates any of the provisions of subsection 8, 9, 10 or 12 is guilty of a category E felony and shall be punished as provided in NRS 193.130."
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2004, 12:08:58 AM »

In that case? Throw 'em in jail. Then they will be able to share the experience of being unable to vote!
cwelsch

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2004, 12:14:05 AM »

First, yes, this is despicable.  Second, calm down.  There are hundreds of instances of horrible voter fraud every year, like the thousands of ballots found floating in 2000 from GOP-heavy Orange County.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2004, 12:15:30 AM »

Well, at least here in South Carolina, they couldn't be so blatant since declaring which party you favor is not part of the voter registration process.  Yet another benefit of having open primaries.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2004, 12:16:20 AM »

First, yes, this is despicable.  Second, calm down.  There are hundreds of instances of horrible voter fraud every year, like the thousands of ballots found floating in 2000 from GOP-heavy Orange County.

There is a lot, but Orange County is hardly in a battleground state. And here it's pretty obvious who did it.

I don't care who the party is - they need to be prosecuted if they are guilty, period.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2004, 12:20:07 AM »

I will not calm down. These only affected Democratic, and not Republican voter registrations in very close swing states. I never heard of this Orange County problem. The Senate and Presidential races in CA weren't close that year.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2004, 12:22:38 AM »

Except that the probably are not a "registration agency" within the meaning of the statute.  Now, if these people were contracted by an agency, or were contracted by them, that could be an illegal situation.

I recently received several voter registration forms from the NAACP(I'll add that I am registered and ask them not to mail them when they contacted me).  If I check "Republican" and returned one to them, I would question if they had a legal obligation to file them.  Now, I don't remember if they requested the form be sent to them or not, or to the registration center, but they would have no obligation to file it if I did send it to them.

BTW, I've been in situations where I was registering people as a partisen and as a public employee; there was a different standard.

As one of my old poli sci professors (who was Democratic committeeman) said, "If the want to register in your party, help them fill out the form; if they don't, hand them the form."
RN
Nixon
Rookie

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2004, 12:24:47 AM »

In St. Louis four years ago with newscameras rolling, one or more places stayed open past the time.  It took judges to demand it be stopped.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2004, 12:29:06 AM »

In St. Louis four years ago with newscameras rolling, one or more places stayed open past the time.  It took judges to demand it be stopped.

You get the non sequitur award
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2004, 12:34:40 AM »

Not really.  Election official permitted the polls to remain open in Democratic Sections of St. Louis to stay open after they were legally suppose to be closed.  It probably cost Ashcroft his Senate seat.

He's asking why you are "outraged" when Reps do something, that I'll admit admit, is sleazy, but legal, yet you are not equally outraged when Dems do something equally sleazy and also illegal?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2004, 12:53:37 AM »

Not really.  Election official permitted the polls to remain open in Democratic Sections of St. Louis to stay open after they were legally suppose to be closed.  It probably cost Ashcroft his Senate seat.

He's asking why you are "outraged" when Reps do something, that I'll admit admit, is sleazy, but legal, yet you are not equally outraged when Dems do something equally sleazy and also illegal?

Missouri law dictates that when the voting places close, people who have been standing in law for hours are turned away. I assume this was only a problem in St. Louis. Now, I suppose it would have been less controversial if he'd had polls stay open later statewide.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2004, 12:56:43 AM »

Missouri law dictates that when the voting places close, people who have been standing in law for hours are turned away. I assume this was only a problem in St. Louis. Now, I suppose it would have been less controversial if he'd had polls stay open later statewide.

The voters were not in line; that was the problem.  That is why the court order was issued.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2004, 01:11:25 AM »

The voters were not in line; that was the problem.  That is why the court order was issued.

Yes, they were in line.
Typical Republican - wants to disenfranchise voters.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2004, 01:31:42 AM »

Yes, they were in line.

If the vote were really as important to these disenfranchised people as they make it out to be, you'd think they could get their asses to a polling place at a reasonable hour.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2004, 01:38:36 AM »

Yes, they were in line.

If the vote were really as important to these disenfranchised people as they make it out to be, you'd think they could get their asses to a polling place at a reasonable hour.

Ever heard of a long election line?
I once waited half an hour in a non Presidential election in a wealthy neighborhood in California. I imagine it can't be good in inner cities in Missouri during an election year.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2004, 01:50:09 AM »

Yes, they were in line.

Ever heard of a long election line?
I once waited half an hour in a non Presidential election in a wealthy neighborhood in California. I imagine it can't be good in inner cities in Missouri during an election year.

To be honest, Election Day should be a holiday so people don't have to mess with arguments like this.  I take time off from work/school though to make sure I get to a polling place before, oh, say 6:30pm.  I don't have to deal with lines in this state, but if I did, and knew I was going to have to, and voting was important to me, I'd darn sure take the time to get to the polling place at a reasonable hour.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2004, 02:52:38 AM »

Yes, they were in line.

No they were not in line.  The Democrats didn't seek the injunction to get the law followed.  Remember, you aren't going to be having Republicans running the polling places in the city of St.Louis.

Their claim was that there had been unusually large turnout and that voters had either not gotten in line when they had the chance, or hadn't even bothered going by the polling place because they thought they would have to stay in line.  The injunction, later overturned, was to let people walk up several hours after the polls were closed and vote.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2004, 02:58:11 AM »

Election rigging in every damn swing state
khirkhib

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2004, 03:16:52 AM »

Don't apologize for this action.  This is so clearly wrong.  Sure I guess in a politcal way I can understand not helping somebody fill their form out, but I would.  This is illiegal and it is immoral because it is a lie to have them fill out a form and not in-turn hand it in.  I would be madder if it were a democrat firm doing this, not apologize for them, excuse the action away or somehow try to justify or rationalize it.  It is wrong,
khirkhib

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2004, 03:27:12 AM »

OK rumor control,  Looks like there is video footage of the pollsters being told to destroy the democratic ballots and destroying the.  Edwards is going to make three stops through Oregon cumlinating in a big rally in downtown portland right before the debate.  This well be huge.  It will be if there is footage.  I hope it doesn't overshadow the debate.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2004, 04:00:50 AM »

OK rumor control,  Looks like there is video footage of the pollsters being told to destroy the democratic ballots and destroying the.  Edwards is going to make three stops through Oregon cumlinating in a big rally in downtown portland right before the debate.  This well be huge.  It will be if there is footage.  I hope it doesn't overshadow the debate.

Is the video on the web?
khirkhib

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2004, 04:16:46 AM »

The video is just a rumor as of now.  It quite likely is not as incriminating as I have heard.  This will all develop by morning I bet.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies