Dirty South September Initiatives Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 02:19:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Dirty South September Initiatives Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Dirty South September Initiatives Thread  (Read 5317 times)
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2009, 02:03:55 AM »

Just for the record, my knowledge of economics is sufficient to determine the impact that such a policy would have.

Perhaps reserve banking is a bad system, but it adds an incredible amount of capital into the system and attempts to end it wholesale in one fell swoop would cause incredible damage to the economy of the region. You've been given my preliminary analysis. The Southeast is free to vote as it wishes however.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2009, 04:21:28 PM »

Per my ruling in Bacon King vs. The Southeast the following initiative will be put on the ballot for a revote:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2009, 04:50:33 PM »

Ah, a hardcore anarcho-capitalist who is critical of the US's involvement in WWII. He has a degree in English for pete's sake. This guy is an "expert" on fringe liebertarian philosophy, but seems to have no background in economics, let alone banking. Y'know, 3 self-described conservative libertarian economists would probably forcast (quite correctly) an absolute collapse of the regional banking system utterly flushing down the rest of the regional economy as well.

You all are of course free to try any experiment you wish in your region. If nothing else please consider the devestaing ripple effects the collapse of your regional economy will have on the rest of the country.

Maybe you would like to back up your claims before you make them:
You must be logged in to read this quote.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murray_Rothbard
Sorry, I was referring to Lew Rockwell.

I read Rothbard's paper and, with deference to the degrees he's attained, his premise is that the Fed Reserve is basically a giant ponzi scheme which is more a philisophical/politcal assessment of the federal government than economic analysis.

The end result would still be utter ruination. Not nearly as bad as the federal government offering a public option for health insurance, of course, but still really really really bad.

Well, obviously Ponzi schemes do not have a positive effect on the economy, so our effort in the Dirty South to end this Ponzi scheme should help the economy in the long run, even if is had bad effects in the short term.

And yet there are very intelligent economists who disagree with that. The federal reserve is fine as long as it has good leadership. Imagine the horrible deflation that would've occurred had the federal reserve not existed during the past RL recession.

It's the Dirty South's choice though, so I'll refrain from commenting further.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2009, 04:57:19 PM »

SPC probably thinks deflation is fine and dandy. He yearns for the good old days of recessions every other year.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2009, 04:58:46 PM »

SPC probably thinks deflation is fine and dandy. He yearns for the good old days of recessions every other year.

There is a party in France that actually proposes and likes recessions and negative growth. And it isn't a Rhino Party either.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2009, 05:07:42 PM »

I say we build something. The Southeast needs new buildings that inspire the people. Normally grand buildings such as the Empire State Building in New York inspire people to believe in the greatness of their city, their region, and their nation. What I propose today will not only inspire them to believe in that greatness - it will inspire them to cower in fear of it.

The Dark Tower Initiative
The Southeastern Region shall invest in the construction of a Dark Tower to be used as the official location of the supreme judicial authority of the region, the Judicial Overlord.

I. The Dark Tower shall be located in Atlanta, Georgia.
II. The Dark Tower shall be built to be no less than 500 meters high, with no less than 100 floors above ground level.
III. The ground floor shall be an impressive and foreboding grand entrance hall.
IV. The top floor shall include a grand courtroom, complete with a throne fitting for an evil Judicial Overlord, and private quarters for the Judicial Overlord to deliberate and reside in.
V. At least ten other floors must be dedicated to judicial functions of the region, including but not limited to court rooms for lower level courts, offices for judges, prosecutors, administrators, and court appointed defense attorneys.
VI. All remaining floors will be leased out by the regional government.
VII. Possible designs for the Dark Tower will be created by a panel of architects, engineers, and megalomaniacs. The reigning Judicial Overlord shall pick the design that shall be built.

Should we build this Dark Tower it will be one of the top ten tallest buildings in the world, and the design will be so unique that it will garner international attention. People will come from far and wide to see it, increasing tourism in our region. The construction will also help save thousands of jobs in the struggling construction industry. I tell you that this shall be the pride of our region, a constant reminder that our region is one to be feared and obeyed by the cowardly lesser regions.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2009, 05:09:47 PM »

*shouts from the galleries*

What will it cost?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2009, 05:15:28 PM »

I'll sign the Tower thing
XDWTL

And will approve if it agreed to be placed in a completely random city
Daniel Adams
Georgia

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: 2.43

« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2009, 05:16:33 PM »

SPC probably thinks deflation is fine and dandy. He yearns for the good old days of recessions every ojavascript:void(0);ther year.
Deflation ≠ recession.

I sign the Overlord's proposal.
X Gov. Daniel Adams
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2009, 05:44:19 PM »

*shouts from the galleries*

What will it cost?

That will depend on the final height, design, etc. To give a rough idea, we can look at some other tall buildings.

- The new WTC which is going to be 541m high has a total budget of $3.1 billion according to Wikipedia.
- Taipei 101 at 509 meters cost $1.76 billion.
- Burj Dubai, which will be the tallest building in the world at 818 meters when it is completed this year, has a budget totally $4.1 billion.
- Sauron's tower - Barad-dûr - from the Lord of the Rings movies would have been 914m tall, and according to lore took 600 years to complete. The cost is unknown, but immense savings were probably made through the use of non-unionized orc labor, captured human slaves, and the use of an immensely powerful magic ring to make the foundations indestructible. Truly a marvel considering the lack of modern construction equipment.

I am of course not suggesting that we cut corners the way Sauron did them. After all, all it took to destroy his tower was for a midget to throw the ring into a volcano. No, I'll make sure we use good engineering practices instead.

Basically though, the bigger we build it the more it will cost. However, if we decide to build the tallest building in the world we will greatly increase the region's prestige, so it may be worth the cost.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2009, 11:29:42 AM »

bump.

Smiley
Daniel Adams
Georgia

Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: September 16, 2009, 02:28:02 PM »

The elections will take place this weekend. These initiatives will be on the ballot:

• End to Fractional Reserve Banking Act, proposed by SPC
  • End to Income Taxation Act, proposed by SPC
  • Road Management Act, proposed by SPC
  • Regional Legislature Amendment, proposed by DWTL (requires 2/3 majority)
  • Killing Two Birds With One Stone Act, proposed by SPC
  • Nay Means Nay Amendment, proposed by Judicial Overlord John Dibble (requires 2/3 majority)
  • Two Names are Better than One Act, per Judicial Overlord John Dibble's ruling in Bacon King vs. The Southeast
  • The Dark Tower Initiative, proposed by Judicial Overlord John Dibble
Daniel Adams
Georgia

Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2009, 12:25:07 PM »

The voting booth is open. Everybody vote!
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2009, 05:38:58 PM »

Assembly passing 5-2 atm, keep it up voters
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to: