Dirty South September Initiatives Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 09:48:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Dirty South September Initiatives Thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Dirty South September Initiatives Thread  (Read 5279 times)
Daniel Adams
Georgia

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: 2.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 25, 2009, 05:26:58 PM »

To be held the third week of September. All citizens are welcome to propose initiatives and debate on them.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 05:54:30 PM »
« Edited: August 26, 2009, 03:36:36 PM by SPC »

End to Fractional Reserve Banking Act
All banks operating in the Dirty South shall be required to have 100% reserves for all demand deposits by September 2010.

End to Income Taxation Act
Section 1: All personal income taxes in the Dirty South are repealed.
Section 2: All corporate income taxes in the Dirty South are repealed.

Road Management Act
Section 1: Regional roads in the Dirty South shall be auctioned off to the highest bidder.
Section 2: All money collected from roads sold shall be refuned to taxpayers.
Section 3: Taxes for road maintenance and construction shall be lowered in proportioned with the percent of roads sold.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 06:01:17 PM »

All banks operating in the Dirty South shall be required to have 100% reserves for all demand deposits

Thankfully I think most people in the South are smarter than this.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 06:04:28 PM »

I'm glad the ignore button exists. Smiley
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 06:13:02 PM »

I'll sign them all as well as re-propose the legislature just in case
Daniel Adams
Georgia

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 06:19:07 PM »

I sign and heartily endorse SPC's proposals.
X Gov. Daniel Adams

According to the GM, our region has a budget deficit, so perhaps we could craft an initiative to use the "stimulus" money to close our deficit rather than wasting it on schemes that expand government.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 07:10:30 PM »

Killing Two Birds With One Stone Act
Section 1: All money given to the Dirty South in the 2009 Atlasian Recovery & Relief Act shall be burned in a public ceromony.
Section 2: Tickets shall be sold for seats at the event, which will be used to raise money for the Dirty South while still maintaining a low tax burden.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 07:11:29 PM »

All money given to the Dirty South in the 2009 Atlasian Recovery & Relief Act shall be burned in a public ceremony.

Oooooh, will there be tribal dancing around the fire.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 07:14:27 PM »

Section 1: All money given to the Dirty South in the 2009 Atlasian Recovery & Relief Act shall be burned in a public ceromony.
Section 2: Tickets shall be sold for seats at the event, which will be used to raise money for the Dirty South while still maintaining a low tax burden.

Didn't the region just reject similar (but much less ridiculous) legislation?
Daniel Adams
Georgia

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 08:13:26 PM »

X Gov. Daniel Adams
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 08:14:08 PM »

I see the Southeast still seems intent on fashioning itself after some third-world hellhole.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2009, 08:22:15 PM »

All banks operating in the Dirty South shall be required to have 100% reserves for all demand deposits

Road Management Act
Section 1: Regional roads in the Dirty South shall be auctioned off to the highest bidder.
Section 2: All money collected from roads sold shall be refuned to taxpayers.
Section 3: Taxes for road maintenance and construction shall be lowered in proportioned with the percent of roads sold.
Oh. My. God.

I'm no banking expert, but I believe most banks have historically kept only between 10 to 20 percent reserves. This drags banking back to literally PRE-19th century standards.I'll consider introducing legislation in the Mideast to prepare for the refugees from DS when your banking system literally collapses overnight dragging down the entire region economy with it.

Repealing all income taxes is a great idea! So....how much are you going to raise property and/or sales taxes to make of the lost revenue? Oh, sorry--I forgot all taxes are bad (but not as bad as income taxes obviously). How many cops and prison guards will you lay off? Park rangers? Teachers and college professors at state schools? Or will you be making up the difference with the old conservative standby: "eliminating wasteful spending!"?

Oh wait, you're going to make money (this year) by turning every regional road into a toll road. I'm sure your state will actively enforce antitrust and anti-competition measures against private companies that buy up every feasible route between major cities and gouge the holy hell out of consumers and businesses wanting to use their roads, right? Oh wait, that goes against the libertarian idea of a "free market".

You know, the fact that every baron and lord exacted tolls along every part of a merchant's path so hindered trade that kingdoms established King's highways and the like, or at least limited local tolls to encourage trade. This proposal isn't just conservative, it's literally pre-free markets medieval.

Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2009, 08:23:36 PM »

Badger! Hello friend, where were you during the election Tongue
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2009, 08:31:38 PM »

D'OH! I shamefacedly admit I didn't know when the election was exactly, but figured I'm on all the time and the elections last a few days. So of course I get swamped at work Friday and leave straight from there for a family weekend away and didn't get back until late Sunday. Man was my face red yesterday morning!

I already apologized to bgwah for fing up, as I do now to all the JCP candidates (who fortunately won anyway) and will try hard not to do so again.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2009, 08:36:33 PM »

D'OH! I shamefacedly admit I didn't know when the election was exactly, but figured I'm on all the time and the elections last a few days. So of course I get swamped at work Friday and leave straight from there for a family weekend away and didn't get back until late Sunday. Man was my face red yesterday morning!

I already apologized to bgwah for fing up, as I do now to all the JCP candidates (who fortunately won anyway) and will try hard not to do so again.

No worries. Smiley
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2009, 08:42:30 PM »

Oh. My. God.

I'm no banking expert, but I believe most banks have historically kept only between 10 to 20 percent reserves. This drags banking back to literally PRE-19th century standards.I'll consider introducing legislation in the Mideast to prepare for the refugees from DS when your banking system literally collapses overnight dragging down the entire region economy with it.

I would also like to point out that regulating the activities of banks in such a fashion is really not a libertarian thing to do at all. I don't know why SPC would propose an initiative like that.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2009, 09:39:56 PM »

Oh. My. God.

I would also like to point out that regulating the activities of banks in such a fashion is really not a libertarian thing to do at all. I don't know why SPC would propose an initiative like that.

Protecting people from fraud is a libertarian thing to do. This would only affect demand despoits; time deposits could have any amount of money in reserve as the bank chooses
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2009, 09:57:29 PM »

Oh. My. God.

Protecting people from fraud is a libertarian thing to do. This would only affect demand despoits; time deposits could have any amount of money in reserve as the bank chooses

Protecting people from fraud is plenty libertarian, though I am not sure about doing it in this way. Perhaps it would be better to give banks the option to apply for an official "100% demand deposit reserve guaranteed" status, which they could then advertise to prospective customers.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2009, 07:28:49 AM »

Oh. My. God.

Protecting people from fraud is plenty libertarian, though I am not sure about doing it in this way. Perhaps it would be better to give banks the option to apply for an official "100% demand deposit reserve guaranteed" status, which they could then advertise to prospective customers.

I'm missing the distinction between this proposal and SPC's, PiT. Can you elaborate?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2009, 01:46:52 PM »
« Edited: August 26, 2009, 03:35:46 PM by SE Judicial Overlord John Dibble »

I'd like to thank the people of the Southeast for giving me silly new powers and titles to use in court - I'm happy enough about it to forgive you for not voting to build my absurdly large moment, even though I deserve it.

Anywho, on to new initiatives. Given that we've had people putting the same or damn near similar legislation up for vote recently even after they fail and it's been causing no end of hubub, I'm gonna propose this amendment:

Nay Means Nay Amendment
The following shall be added to Article II of the Southeast Constitution:

3) Any initiative that fails in an Initiative election shall not be allowed on the ballot again without significant revision for the next two monthly Initiative elections. Also, no such initiative shall qualify for emergency Initiative election. In the event that there is contention as to whether revisions are significant or there is believed to be a compelling reason for an exception, citizens may make an appeal to the Magistrate to decide whether or not to let a failed initiative on the ballot.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2009, 02:14:53 PM »

No Means No Amendment

3) Any initiative that fails in an Initiative election shall not be allowed on the ballot again without significant revision for the next two Initiative elections. In the event that there is contention as to whether revisions are significant or there is believed to be a pressing need for an exception, citizens may make an appeal to the Magistrate to decide whether or not to let a failed initiative on the ballot.

I think that is a good idea Dibble. Perhaps simply say it may not be brought to a vote in an initiative or emergency initiative election for two months. That way you prevent repeated use of emergency initiatives to get it through the "next two Initiative elections" problem.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2009, 02:20:56 PM »

No Means No Amendment

3) Any initiative that fails in an Initiative election shall not be allowed on the ballot again without significant revision for the next two Initiative elections. In the event that there is contention as to whether revisions are significant or there is believed to be a pressing need for an exception, citizens may make an appeal to the Magistrate to decide whether or not to let a failed initiative on the ballot.

I think that is a good idea Dibble. Perhaps simply say it may not be brought to a vote in an initiative or emergency initiative election for two months. That way you prevent repeated use of emergency initiatives to get it through the "next two Initiative elections" problem.

Good point. I've made edits for those considerations.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2009, 02:22:41 PM »

There are certainly the votes to vote against the Dirty South denying its voters the right to pass iniatives, but I'll sign it anyway because the more votes the better

X DWTL
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2009, 02:46:37 PM »

I suggest we look at reactivation of the Southeast Deficit Package Initiative:
https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/Southeast_Deficit_Package_Initiative

I would suggest changing this to something along the lines of banks shall have 1 year (maybe longer) to come into compliance. Maybe something else like they would have 6 months to be at least 50%. At a minimum specify a time line for them to come into compliance.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2009, 03:33:07 PM »

There are certainly the votes to vote against the Dirty South denying its voters the right to pass iniatives, but I'll sign it anyway because the more votes the better

X DWTL

It's not so much denying the right of the voters to pass initiatives as preventing abuse of the initiative system so that failed initiatives aren't spammed onto the ballot repeatedly until there might be some election with low turn out where it happens to pass. Should my amendment pass any initiative could still show up on the ballot at least four times a year. Also, exceptions can be granted. I just changed the words "pressing need" to "compelling reason" to increase the broadness of that as well - if this passes and I'm still Magistrate, I would include a significant upswing in support for a previously failed initiative to be a compelling reason to allow an exception. (I wouldn't have considered it a "pressing need" though, hence why I changed the language)

The purpose of this amendment is to prevent abuse of the initiative process, not to restrict the citizens' rights to propose and vote on initiatives.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies