Job Growth?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:06:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Job Growth?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Job Growth?  (Read 1252 times)
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 25, 2009, 05:11:47 PM »

To those of you that think we won't have a jobless recovery, how will we have job growth? Which sectors of the economy will see the most and which sectors won't improve at all and even possibly decline?
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 05:37:40 PM »
« Edited: August 25, 2009, 06:04:56 PM by Theofascist Master »

To those of you that think we won't have a jobless recovery, how will we have job growth? Which sectors of the economy will see the most..

Certain areas of the medical profession, energy, agriculture, the hard sciences in general. Basically I see us moving away from a consumption based economy, mainly because the debt situation at nearly all levels is out of control and the general population is aging.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 06:32:58 PM »

I'm feeling mixed signals on the accounting profession.  Some articles are giving the field "recession-proof".  CPAnet has numerous people even with passed exams saying they can't land a job and there are so many applicants.  Manufacturing and construction people are bascially being told to retrain.  IT is a mixed bag as well- What will happen with outsourcing?
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 09:46:04 PM »
« Edited: August 25, 2009, 09:52:07 PM by phknrocket1k »

The recovery may very well be jobless more or less as been highlighted by other posters (Beet and others) before.

Basically the rich world in general hasn't been inventing/innovating new avenues of growth as they have in the past (manufacturing, railroads, Cold War R&D, IT) while emerging markets have been moving up the value added ladder pretty fast.

Moving along here.... I feel that its actually counterproductive to be hostile to relative new prosperity in the emerging markets.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 09:57:06 PM »

Jobless recovery is basically an oxymoron.

To those of you that think we won't have a jobless recovery, how will we have job growth? Which sectors of the economy will see the most..

Certain areas of the medical profession, energy, agriculture, the hard sciences in general. Basically I see us moving away from a consumption based economy, mainly because the debt situation at nearly all levels is out of control and the general population is aging.

The hard sciences haven't had significant job growth in quite a while.

I'm feeling mixed signals on the accounting profession.  Some articles are giving the field "recession-proof".  CPAnet has numerous people even with passed exams saying they can't land a job and there are so many applicants.  Manufacturing and construction people are bascially being told to retrain.  IT is a mixed bag as well- What will happen with outsourcing?

The only recession proof jobs are those of unqualified well-connected people.

phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 09:58:28 PM »
« Edited: August 25, 2009, 10:14:29 PM by phknrocket1k »

Why?

Its certainly possible for output to grow without marginal increases in labor.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 10:40:11 PM »

Jobless recovery is basically an oxymoron.

The hard sciences haven't had significant job growth in quite a while.

The only recession proof jobs are those of unqualified well-connected people.

Agreed.  I'm even hearing people who graduated as nurses having trouble landing things.  That said it would be foolish for me to switch fields (although a partner at my previous firm suggested I do so).  I refuse to do so because of the education expenses involved plus this particular partner has a nephew at the place getting a lot of my previous work and other people gave me good reviews except him.  A lot of people are just victims of the economy in one way or another.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 04:51:07 AM »

It is true that the imbalances caused by bad State policy have led to inadequate jobs and job growth overall, and thus inadequate demand, but it is too early to tell if the incipient recovery will be 'jobless'.  I think it is more likely it will provide some jobs, and some demand growth, but far less than would be possible with better (more redistributive) policy.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 07:54:41 AM »

Where will we have job growth?

Why, in government, the biggest growth industry there is!
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 12:00:17 PM »

And the idea that this is an inferior type of employment growth is erroneous.

War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2009, 02:12:34 PM »

Lame response.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2009, 03:17:23 PM »

Among the 50 largest cities in the U.S., one stands out for having the most abundant job postings per capita: Washington, D.C. The nation's capital boasted 133 postings per 1,000 residents in the second quarter of 2009, according to a report by Indeed.com, a broad job search engine that combs company and association websites, job boards, newspapers, and blogs for postings. That Washington took the top spot is no great surprise, as government hiring has held up during the recession.

Read more from U.S. News & World Report here.

The runner up is Baltimore, Md., which is aided by its close proximity to Washington, but also boasts an economy fueled by recession-hearty industries like healthcare and higher education. Baltimore's unemployment rate was 7.2 percent in May, well below the 9.4 percent national average that month.

San Jose ranked no. 3 for job postings per capita in the second quarter, despite a regionally high unemployment rate in May, and continued fallout from the housing collapse. Still, the tech industry is resilient, and Alan Berube, co-author of a recent Brookings report on metro area economies, has said the Bay Area economy may recover more quickly than the rest of the nation. The metropolitan San Jose economy has remained one of the strongest through the recession, according to the Brookings report.

Here's the top 10 list--pulled from Indeed's list of 50 largest metro areas ranked according to job postings per capita in the second quarter of this year (last quarter's ranking is in parentheses):

1. (1) Washington, D.C.

2. (2) Baltimore

3. (3) San Jose, Calif.

4. (7) Austin

5. (6) Hartford, Conn.

6. (9) Seattle, Wash.

7. (8 ) Salt Lake City

8. (11) Denver

9. (5) Boston

10. (4) Las Vegas (Note: Charlotte, N.C. shared the same number of postings per capita as Las Vegas)

The city capturing the bottom spot on Indeed's list is Detroit. See the full list of 50 here.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/money/2009/07/14/2009-07-14_10_cities_with_the_most_job_postings_per_capita.html#ixzz0PK2PbycP
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2009, 03:58:01 PM »

It is nice to see some of my favorite cities up there. I'm not surprised by Denver, Seattle or Boston making the list.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2009, 11:22:11 AM »

San Jose ranked no. 3 for job postings per capita in the second quarter, despite a regionally high unemployment rate in May, and continued fallout from the housing collapse. Still, the tech industry is resilient, and Alan Berube, co-author of a recent Brookings report on metro area economies, has said the Bay Area economy may recover more quickly than the rest of the nation. The metropolitan San Jose economy has remained one of the strongest through the recession, according to the Brookings report.

Yeah the tech economy is doing just fine in the bay area and the local economy's significant ties to Asia help as well. LA on the other hand is going through a rough patch as trade is still way below earlier levels. Something like 1/4th of all containers arriving in the United States is processed through the LA ports. Construction is also a crucial part of the economy down here and we all know the kind of shape that industry is in. Not surprisingly the east bay, which is more dependent on construction and trade is fairing much worse than the rest of the bay area.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2009, 11:35:31 AM »

How is Las Vegas on that list? Just wondering...
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies