No Watergate, the TL.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 03:42:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  No Watergate, the TL.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: No Watergate, the TL.  (Read 18183 times)
Historico
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: September 25, 2009, 04:08:02 PM »

Thank you Mel. An Update will probably come this weekend, I'll finish off Mathias's first term, and probably have the 1992 election up by Sunday, but no promises, so don't quote me.

I had to do it lol, Look forward to the next round of updates GIO!!!
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #76 on: September 28, 2009, 06:59:12 PM »

Thank you Mel. An Update will probably come this weekend Thursday, I'll finish off Mathias's first term, and probably have the 1992 election up by Sunday, but no promises, so don't quote me.

I had to do it lol, Look forward to the next round of updates GIO!!!
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #77 on: October 01, 2009, 08:17:28 PM »

An update is coming as I speak.
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #78 on: October 01, 2009, 08:58:25 PM »

The Presidency of Charles Mathias pt. 2

On December 30th, 1990, The GBC releases its findings report. Former Senator John Tower (R- TX), and Senator John Glenn (D- OH) announce that they had located over 900 million dollars in Government and Bureaucratic Waste, with much of it within the Government Health Care Subsidies (passed within CHIP in 1975), and within the Welfare State. Both Tower and Glenn urge reform in those two areas to save Tax Payers millions of dollars. Majority Leader Richard Gephardt calls the findings “biased”, urging that the “waste” is actually useful Government Programs for the poor. Senator Jesse Helms urges reform “at the least” for both Healthcare and Welfare.

On January 5th, 1991, President Mathias makes an address to the American People, declaring his economic policies a success. “The United States is at its lowest levels of unemployment since 1985. I have proven you do not need a billion dollar stimulus, or a trillion dollar giveaway to big business to create new jobs for Americans.” The President also announces the United States will stand firm in its obligation to defend Saudi Arabia. Mathias also declares several new projects of his administration, one being Welfare Reform.”

On January 28th, the Gulf War continues to rage as Saddam Hussein orders his Iraqi Army to charge into Saudi Arabia. The Iraqi army easily takes the under defended Saudi City of Khafji, but the Iraqi’s were pushed back, after Coalition forces counterattacked. Soon after, President Mathias orders that Operation Desert Storm commences, and United States and Coalition forces invade occupied Kuwait. The Iraqi army was driven out of Kuwait by large numbers, until President Hussein signs a cease fire agreement on February 28th, 1991.

On February 29th, Charles Mathias returns from Europe a conquering Hero; His approval ratings standing at nearly seventy five percent. Mathias announces that the United States troops did a “fine job, in fighting back evil.”

On March 5th, President Mathias announces his plan for Welfare Reform. The Mathias Welfare Plan would basically eliminate most Welfare and programs such as Food Stamps in the United States Government, and be replaced by something that Mathias’ deemed more efficient. The Welfare would be replaced by the Family Income Assistance Plan, which would give an amount of money to each family each year with no specific qualifications, but all recipients of working age must own a job, unless they have children four and younger, or face a penalty.

The plan is supported by the majority of moderates in both parties, but opposed by the Left wing of the Democratic Party, and the Right Wing of the Republican Party. Mathias deems the MWRB (Mathias Welfare Reform Bill) necessary to making Government “more efficient.” Senator Strom Thurmond criticized the bill “So basically a 17 year old with no job gets Tax Payer money for no absolute reason? Preposterous!” The bill does show a slight majority (51% to 43%) of Americans support the MWRB.

The House passes the MWRB 234- 201, with no Party clearly supporting the bill fully. The Senate passes it much easier 54 to 44, with Jesse Helms (R- NC), Edward Kennedy (D- MA), and Strom Thurmond (R- SC) refusing to vote. Mathias signs the bill on March 30th, 1991. “This bill will make Welfare run more efficient at a fraction at the cost. I’m glad a majority of Congress put petty partisanship aside for at least one session.” Senate Minority Leader Bush, a supporter of the bill, calls the bill “Not Perfect, but at least we can aid American families without running the deficit up.”

To help in the reforming of Nixon care, President Mathias, by executive order creates the American National Health Service, which oversees the Government Subsidies used to assist the uninsured are used the most efficiently, and the least costly. Mathias names Senator Robert Dole to chair the new position, but he respectfully declines, and Louis Sullivan is nominated in his place.

On December 25th, Mikhail Gorbachev resigns as leader of the Soviet Union after almost seven years as the leader of the Soviet Union. The Soviet Union is dissolved, and in its place, the Commonwealth of Independent States is created from the eleven former Soviet Republics. Boris Yeltsin is elected the first President of Russia, whom President Mathias meets with in San Francisco on February 1st.

On April 29th, 1992, the Los Angeles Riots erupt when a group of Police Officers who beat Cycler Rodney King are acquitted at trial. Dozens of rioters are killed in the riots, with many thousands wounded in the insuring violence. Mathias announced that he believes “Race is not the only factor in violence across our cities, Poverty plays a major role.” Mathias appoints former President Ernest Hollings to investigate issues that cause violence in urban areas, which the former President eagerly accepts. Ernest Hollings had been living quietly in his home in South Carolina ever since he retired.

With an approval rating of 59%, Charles Mathias prepares to make his plans for reelection…….
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #79 on: October 01, 2009, 09:08:09 PM »

Giovanni

An excellent timeline you have produced here, due most likely to your ability to allow the Rockefeller Republicans to assume control of the GOP. Shall be interesting to see how the upcoming electoral season unfolds.

If President Mathias does indeed decide to seek reelection this November I wouldn't be surprised if he is challenged by the likes of a fringe candidate, such as Pat Buchanan, although in such a universe I'd dare say he'd be much stronger than in RL 1992 against Poppy.

Keep up the good work Smiley
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #80 on: October 02, 2009, 05:32:09 AM »

Giovanni

An excellent timeline you have produced here, due most likely to your ability to allow the Rockefeller Republicans to assume control of the GOP. Shall be interesting to see how the upcoming electoral season unfolds.

If President Mathias does indeed decide to seek reelection this November I wouldn't be surprised if he is challenged by the likes of a fringe candidate, such as Pat Buchanan, although in such a universe I'd dare say he'd be much stronger than in RL 1992 against Poppy.

Keep up the good work Smiley

Thank You! Smiley

President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #81 on: October 03, 2009, 06:02:09 PM »

I think I have the last 12 years of this TL mapped out in terms of elections, but not candidates, so please pm your suggestions.
Historico
United States

« Reply #82 on: October 04, 2009, 03:42:04 PM »

Hmm, what a very successful 1st term for Mathias, especially getting Welfare and Healthcare Reform passed albeit on narrow marginas. Not to mention soundly defeating Saddam in an ALT version of the gulf war, gave him a nice Rally around the Flag effect. Can't wait to see what you have in store for the general election...Keep it comming
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #83 on: October 11, 2009, 12:00:35 PM »

I'm afraid I no longer have the time or interest in finishing this timeline. School is beginning to become a real bitch. (I still have all A's Bitches! Cheesy) But I have a virtual class that is very time consuming. Thanks to all my readers out there, and I hope you will follow my next timeline *cough HHH wins in 1968 Cough*.

Here is the list of Presidents after 1992:

1989- 1997: Charles Mathias
1997- 2005: Richard Gephardt
2005- 2009: James Webb

2009- Present: Max Baucus

Basically, since there is no Watergate Scandal, civilian trust in the Government is still pretty high. The Republicans never become the "Anti Government Fascists" of today, and the Democrats never become the "Social Liberal Psychopaths" we know and love today.

The 1968 Political Alignment is much weaker, the Democrats are alot stronger in poor, populistic areas in the south, and the Republicans are a LOT stronger in the Northeast.

Cheers, Gio
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies