No Watergate, the TL.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 03:10:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  No Watergate, the TL.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: No Watergate, the TL.  (Read 18182 times)
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2009, 08:42:55 PM »

Thanks for the comments guys, and if you have any suggestions for a way the TL should go. PM me.
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2009, 08:01:00 AM »

President Connally (Part 2)

After the November elections, giving the Democrats Huge Majorities in both Houses of Congress, John Connally sends congradulatory notes to Senate Majority Leader Robert Byrd (D- WV) and the new Speaker Tip O' Neill (D- MA). But he urges them to "make decisions that help the American People and not just your Party."

On June 18th, 1979, President Connally makes a speech to Congress refusing to sign the Strategic Arms Limitation Talks Treaty. Connally says that the treaty would diminish American Military Power; he also predicted that since the Soviets were willing to talk, and the United States was winning the Cold War. “If you’re done plowing half the field, you don’t just quit because you’re tired, you pull your pants up and plow the other half.” Senator Henry Jackson (D- WA), Connally’s 1976 opponent applauded the decision, while most Democrats opposed it. “The President has made it clear he does not support Peace, instead keeping the support of the Military-Industrial Complex,” Said Senator McGovern (D- SD).

On September 27th, President Connally creates the Department of Education. “The United States must not only have the best toys, the most money, and the best Soldiers, we must also have the best Minds”, was the reason for Connally’s action.

On December 5th, representatives from Mexico, the United States, and Canada meet in Ontario, Canada to discuss the possibility of a Free Trade Bill, which President Connally supports greatly. The nations come to an agreement, as all three accept the North American Free Trade Agreement or NAFTA for short. NAFTA easily passes through the Canadian and Mexican Governments, but is stalled in the United States. Senator John Glenn implied he heard a "Giant Sucking Sound of American jobs", and announces opposition.

Connally is able to swing enough Democratic Votes his way to pass NAFTA through the House and Senate narrowly. The Democratic Party condems the legislation with Senator Andrew Miller of Virginia stating "John Connally, your time has come."

On November 4th, 1979 militant Iranian students mob the United States embassy in Tehran, Iran. The mob as over the issue that the deposed Shah, an American ally, had been granted entrance into the United States for Medical treatment. President Connally experiences a sudden boost in polls due to a “rally around the flag” effect. Shooting his approval from 41% in September to 78% in November. Connally strongly condemns the Iranians and makes a strong claim “Iran will return those hostages, come hell or high water.”

Connally ordered that ten “Sea Stalion” Helicopters, five filled with Special Forces, and five for transportation be sent to Iran. The forces set out on April 24th, and the forces landed, and secured 49 of the 54 Hostages, with five unfortunately being caught in the crossfire. While on the way out, and Iranian militant would fire a rocket and downing a helicopter, killing three servicemen, and 5 rescued Hostages. Connally reported the operation a success. His critics deriding it as “gambling with lives” criticized the loss of 10 hostages. “Those Ten Souls would still be with us if our President had not acted like an arrogant Cowboy,” said Representative Frank Church (D- ID). The incident did have a positive impact on Connally’s approval, with the President having 52% approval ratings after Operation Eagle Claw.

On December 27th, 1980 the Soviet Union invades Afghanistan, and incumbent President Hafizullah Amin is deposed and executed by a Leftist Coup. The Soviets would in turn install a Pro-Soviet Government lead by Nur Muhammad Taraki. President Connally condemns this action and secretly orders Weapons to be sent to Anti- Soviet Mujahedeen fighters in Afghanistan. Democrats criticize the President’s response. Governor Jimmy Carter (D- GA) urged for a Grain Embargo on the Soviet Union. Connally refused to do so, fearful of losing the Farmer Vote in the 1980 Presidential Election.

On January 20th, In protest of the Soviet Invasion of Afghanistan, Connally announces that the United States would not participate in the Summer Olympic Games in Moscow unless the Soviet Union withdrew its army from Afghanistan. The Us. Olympic Committee released a statement supporting the President's decision. Several other nations would withdraw from the Olympics as well, The Soviet Union would win the most Metals in the Olympics, even with many of the World's greatest Athletes not participating.

On January 25th, The Consumer Price Index rises to over Ten percent in 1979. President Connally defends that the Connally Administration’s policies had helped, and that inflation would be much worse if not for his policies.

With a sagging Economy, low approval ratings, and overall dissatisfaction with the Connally administration, President Connally gears up for his toughest challenge yet- seeking reelection.   
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2009, 02:41:42 PM »

BROWN THROWS HAT IN RACE
Governor Jerry Brown, a Democrat from California, and the runner up for the 1976 Democratic Nomination, is the first Democrat to announce their intentions to run for the Presidency. Brown has called President Connally a “total failure”, and promising a government, where “Everyone will be reminded that the American People are the bosses, and not Special Interests.”
-   New York Times 12/29/1979

THIS IS AN ERA OF LIMITS, WE ALL BETTER GET USED TO IT.
-   Quote on Governor Brown’s Campaign Headquarters in California.

TIME Magazine Special: The Democratic Candidates

First of Course there is Governor Brown from California. He is a young, handsome, and charismatic Democrat, who has much appeal to younger Democrats, and he also has a lot of support from Independents. One of Brown’s weaknesses is that Labor Unions are lukewarm about him due to the fact of his Economic Conservatism, many times pulling to the right of President Connally, calling for a Balanced Budget Amendment, and calling for Taxes to be cut. Brown will have trouble swaying the White Working Class, which in many elections is a valuable swing vote.

Then there is Ernest Hollings from South Carolina. He is a classic Southern New Deal Democrat, who was the Governor to introduce School integration to South Carolina, with notable success. There is trouble among the base with Hollings; some accuse the Senator of being too Conservative to be the Democratic Nominee. Hollings does have the support of the South, and was endorsed by notable Democrats, including 1976 nominee Senator Henry Jackson.

There is Senator Hughes of Iowa. While Hughes is not necessarily the candidate of Charisma like Brown, or of Experience like Ernest Hollings, he does have a compelling story of how he overcame Alcoholism, and is very appealing to Evangelical Christians and could possibly sway the South, which could make a difference if Hughes is neck and neck with President Connally. Hughes also has a distinguished record as Governor of Iowa, and as a Senator from Iowa.

The Last real “Frontrunner” for the nomination is New York Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan, who is the classic Liberal Democrat from New York. He is for the most part, a liberal from the Northeast, an unpopular stereotype. But Moynihan does have several decades of experience public service, and is very well respected across the Isle to Republicans and Democrats. Some Democrats speculate that Moynihan might be the ‘perfect’ nominee. The only problem is he is not particularly inspiring or popular with Democratic Primary voters.
-   TIME Magazine Article 2/1/1980

NO OPPOSTION TO CONNALLY FOR GOP NOD
Despite his unpopularity, President Connally does have one advantage, he has no credible Primary opponents for the re-nomination of his Party, which might give Connally extra time to lessen the gap between himself and the Democrats.
-   Manchester Union Leader 2/4/1980

HUGHES WINS IN IOWA
To no surprise, Governor Harold Hughes has won the Democratic Iowa Caucus by an overwhelming margin. Iowa is Hughes’ home state, and was expected to go to him by a large margin.
-   Except from New York Times Article, 2/ 21/1980

"The rest of the Democratic Primaries were split. Moynihan won the next contest in Maine, Hughes winning in Minnesota; Brown winning in a surprise victory in New Hampshire, Moynihan won the rest of the Northern States. Brown took the West, Hollings took the South, and Harold Hughes took the Midwest. The Democrats were going to Madison Square Garden, New York without a clear nominee, as none of the candidates had a majority of the needed delegates to win the nomination.

Brown: 1029 Delegates
Hollings: 639 Delegates
Moynihan: 767 Delegates
Hughes: 601 Delegates
Other- 38

Brown was the closest with a little over 1000 delegates. If Brown could convince one of his opponents to back him, he would be the Official Democratic Nominee. On the first ballot, all delegates voted the way they were supposed to, sticking by their candidate. On the second ballot, Brown offered Senator Ernest Hollings the Vice Presidency in exchange for dropping out. Hollings agreed, and Brown won a slight majority of Delegates on the second ballot. Most of the other delegates rushed to Hughes, but to no avail.

Brown: 1668
Moynihan: 767
Hughes: 639

Then it was uncertain if the Democratic Party might split. The Labor and Christian supporters of Hughes and Moynihan were uncertain if Brown had their best interests at heart. Then, Brown gave his famous speech that unified the party, just in time to take on Connally."

-   Excerpt from Fmr. Chief of Staff James Carville’s book 1958- 2008, The Evolution of American Politics.

“Thank you fellow Democrats for your generous applause. The last four years have proven what 12 years of failed policies have brought on to us. America needs a Democratic Victory in 1980!”

(Thunderous Applause)

“I must Ask All of you, Are any of you better off than you were four years ago?”

(A loud NO!!!! is heard from the Audience.)

“I thought so. Well I feel the same way. And let me tell you, When I’m President of the United States a new day will dawn on America. Together we will rip out the Seeds of Corruption from Washington. I will always remember who my Employer is, the American People.

(Loud Applause) (Chants of Jerry! Jerry! Jerry!)

“Thank you and God Bless you.”
- Excerpt from Governor Brown's Nomination Speech

BROWN LEADS CONNALLY BY TWENTY POINTS
-   Detroit Free News 9/4/1980

“God Damn it! Dig something up on this guy; he can’t be nearly as spotless as he looks….”
-   President Connally speaking with Chief of Staff, Patrick Buchanan
Historico
United States

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2009, 03:23:02 PM »

Awesome round of updates Gio, I was really thinking Glenn would have got the nomination as 1980 could really be painted as the election year when the nation really needed an bonafide American Hero. Ironic to see Connally's over zealousness cost thing the Iranian Hostage Rescue actually ends up costing more American Lives to be lost during OTL. The Brown/Hollings ticket should be very interesting to see electorally against Connally/Mathias...Keep it comming

President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2009, 03:33:57 PM »

I do have some surprises in store that I think will be interesting twists, so be prepared.

BTW, I dislike Connally, so even If I know who's going to win. I second this
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2009, 08:57:58 PM »

A Small Prequel..... Tongue

RICHARD NIXON ENDORSES MECHMAN FOR SENATE
IT seems former President Nixon has endorsed the Libertarian from Oklahoma for the race deciding the Midwest Senate Election. Nixon then proceeded to do a dance in support of Mechman.
- New York Times 1/12/09

Historico
United States

« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2009, 10:14:57 AM »

Hey, after rereading through the timeline...I thought I would say something about Jerry's Nomination speach...Wouldn't He say are you better off than you were twelve years ago or something to that measure? Anyways, here is the Democratic Primary Map as I've interpreted it.

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2009, 10:23:39 AM »
« Edited: September 01, 2009, 10:25:41 AM by Kalwejt »

BREAKING NEWS: Senator Mechman (L-OK) has been elected President in a sweeping landslide

President Connally (R-TX) and Governor Carter (D-GA) condeces and are begging new ruler for mercy
I also just had to do this
Historico
United States

« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2009, 09:50:52 PM »

How's the election coming GIO?
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2009, 05:08:26 AM »

Almost Done, probably up by tonight.
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2009, 05:15:36 PM »

By the way do any of you guys have a preference to the "Newspaper" format, or the textbook format?
Cassius Dio
Mel
Rookie
Netherlands

« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2009, 05:26:38 PM »

The "Newspaper" format is nice, but I personally prefer the textbook format.
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2009, 06:15:50 PM »

BROWN HAS SIZEABLE LEAD IN POLLS, APPROVAL FOR CONNALLY WEAKENING
Governor Jerry Brown of California, the Democratic Nominee, has a eight point lead over his Republican opponent President John Connally of Texas. Voters disapproved of the way the President had handled the economy (63% to 20%), and the way the President dealed with the Oil Crisis (83% to 9%), but a slim majority did approve of the President on foreign Policy (54% to 33%). Polls showed Brown gaining mainly from Independent Voters, who Brown has spent considerable time and money trying to woo to his camp.
-   The New York Times August 2nd, 1980

Connally Campaign Stop- Philadelphia, Mississippi, 8/9/80
“If I am re-elected President in 1980, my Administration will begin a devolution program, with the Federal Government giving responsibility of Education to the States. Because, My Friends, I believe in State’s Rights…..”

Brown Campaign Stop- Indianapolis, Indiana, 8/10/80
"As much as it burdens me my fellow Americans, President Connally has failed you, he promised to be a continuation of Mr. Nixon, and has ended being the continuation of Herbert Hoover."

NIXON STUMPS FOR PRESIDENT
Former President Richard Nixon was seen campaigning for President Connally in Georgia this Thursday. Georgia is seen by many as a possible swing state this election year. Vice Presidential Candidate Ernest Hollings definitely boosted Governor Brown’s polling in the South, so much in fact, President Connally is pulling out his big guns. Nixon applauded Connally’s achievements in Foreign Policy, namely the rescue of Hostages in Iran which a slim majority of Americans (55% to 21%) approved of the President’s actions. There was no mention of Domestic and Economic issues.
-   The Atlanta Journal September 19th, 1980

Connally Campaign Stop- Cleveland, Ohio, 9/21/80
“Mr. President, I voted for you in 1976, and things have gotten really bad for me and my family, I worked in a auto plant, and I was laid off. Can you give me one good reason why I should vote for you again?”

“Well, uh, um…. You see, things would be much worse if Mr. Jackson uh……. had been elected and-“

“Mr. President, with all due respect, that does not answer my question.”

The September 21st Town hall proved a fatal blow to the Connally Campaign. It seemed to wary swing voters that even President Connally did not know what to do to fix the economic crisis. Polls continually showed that Brown was leading Connally by at least 10 points in almost every poll. Connally’s campaign had lost the momentum, and was beginning to lose their morale as well. There was one debate in which Connally attempted to mount a comeback, but the debate was considered a tie.
-   Excerpt from Fmr. Chief of Staff James Carville’s book 1958- 2008, The Evolution of American Politics.

BROWN IN A LANDSLIDE
Governor Brown the Democratic Nominee for President has soundly defeated the Republican Nominee and incumbent President John Connally of Texas in the 1980 Presidential Election. Brown has swept the Northeast, West Coast, and has even chipped off some of Connally’s Southern Base, mainly to the vigorous efforts of Brown’s running mate, now Vice President Elect Ernest Hollings (D- SC). The President issued a statement to his supporters, concluding that “We tried our best, but now we must prepare to transition to President Elect Brown.”
-   New York Times Headline, November 4th, 1980.

“I can’t believe that Buck Toothed Son of a Bitch beat me….”
-   President Connally to Chief of Staff, Patrick Buchanan

“Today is a new day in America, the culture of Corruption that has cemented itself twelve years ago better watch out, because Edmond Gerald Brown and Ernest Hollings are coming to Washington!”
-   Excerpt from Brown’s victory speech.

Governor Jerry Brown/ Ernest Hollings: 360
President John Connally/ Charles Mathias: 178
-   File from the Presidential Library of Edmond G. Brown
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2009, 06:18:50 PM »

And unless somebody objects, I will probably return to the textbook format next update. It is much easier to write in. Cheesy
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2009, 06:54:51 PM »

Don't mess with President Brown!

Yes!
Historico
United States

« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2009, 07:35:29 PM »

JERRY!!!JERRY!!!JERRY!!!, Awesome update Gio, Governor Brown won a very sizable victory under very plausible circumstances. I guess the only question now, is whether or not Jerry will fall to the Twenty Year curse? I think the possiblity of Hollings presidency would be pretty fascinating(Just imagine a Ernest Hollings/Jesse Jackson ticket). Anyways can't wait to see what you have in store for us in the next update...Keep it comming.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2009, 12:01:53 AM »

Jerry! Jerry! Jerry!
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2009, 08:41:00 PM »
« Edited: September 05, 2009, 08:57:36 PM by Giovanni »

The Presidency of Jerry Brown

Jerry Brown was inaugurated President on January 20th, exactly twenty years after Senator Kennedy- one of Brown’s political heroes, was inaugurated as well. In the President’s Inaugural address, President Brown talked of “Bipartisan Cooperation to ensure the brightest days of America never fade.” He also talked of “an era of limits” emphasizing that the American People were tired of the Government sticking their hand into their wallets. The Address caused some concern for Liberals, as Senator Kennedy later said privately: “For a minute there, he sounded like a Republican”.

Brown was true to his word. He filled his cabinet with Democrats and Republicans. His cabinet was notable for being an “Outsider Cabinet”, as its members were mostly from sects from the Republican and Democratic Parties that were not considered “Mainstream”

Cabinet of President Brown
Vice President: Ernest Hollings
Secretary of State: Daniel Moynihan
Secretary of the Treasury: Russell Long Jr.
Secretary of Defense: Jeane Kirkpatrick
Attorney General: Edward Brooke
Secretary of the Interior: Edmond Muskie
Secretary of Agriculture: James Carter
Secretary of Transportation: John Lindsay
Secretary of Commerce: Philip Klutznick
Secretary of Labor: Julian Bond
Secretary of Urban Development: Charles Finch
Secretary of Health: Patricia Harris

Edward Brooke and Julian Bond were the first African Americans to be picked for the positions of Attorney General and the Secretary of Labor respectively. Strom Thurmond (R- SC) and Jesse Helms (R- NC) were the leading opposition to their nominations, but it was mostly just to impress their constituents in North and South Carolina. Jeane Kirkpatrick was also the first Woman to be employed as Secretary of Defense.

Right away, President Brown went to work. Brown announced he would give Businesses tax relief, much to the surprise and shock of his fellow Democrats. Ted Kennedy (D- MA) announced opposition to any tax cut. “We can barely keep alive our Domestic Programs with the funds we already have, and the President wants to cut more?” Republicans and Conservative Democrats applauded the idea. “The President, unlike his party, understands we must give relief to taxpayers to revive our shackled economy” said Minority Leader Gerald Ford (R- MI).

President Brown had planned to make several cuts in some Social Domestic Programs, but the large opposition from Congress Democrats forced his hand. Brown cut a deal with the Liberal legislators, Brown would not cut spending on programs, but the Democrats would accept the President’s tax cut. The compromise worked, and the Brown Tax Cut passed the House easily, the Senate provided more resistance, but nonetheless passed, 54 to 45, with Senator Ted Kennedy, refusing to vote.

On February 14th, President Brown created the Department of Astrophysics, and Space Exploration by executive Order. Brown explains that the United States must take the lead in the Space Race against the Soviet Union. Although some Conservatives are skeptical of the costly department, most opinion is for it. The first Secretary if ASE is Senator John Glenn (D- OH).

Brown would also step up American involvement in the Cold War. Although he was pressured by his Secretary of Defense Kirkpatrick to send supplies to Anti- Soviet Mujahedeen Fighters in Afghanistan, Brown refused, implying that “The lesser of two evils is still evil, and the Administration will not further the causes of evil.”  Due to prodding of Agriculture Secretary Carter, President Brown imposes a Grain Embargo on the Soviet Union. Although this hurts American farmers in the Midwest, it also hurts the Soviets, who were experiencing a large Wheat failure in Eastern Europe.

On March 1st, Brown announced he will fight to pass a Balanced Budget Amendment to the Congress. Republicans applaud the idea. The Democrats are very lukewarm about it. Senator Henry Scoop Jackson (D- WA) argues that “while a balanced budget is very important, helping the less fortunate should be top priority.” Republicans argue the other way: “It is about time there is set limits on Federal Spending, it has gotten out of Control!” said Senator John Rhodes (R- AZ).

On March 30th, President Brown was campaigning to gain popular support for the BBA in Milualkee, Wisconsin. Just as the President entered the stage, a madman, named John Hinckley Jr. shoots the President four times in the chest. The President was rushed to the Hospital immediantly, alas, at 1:02, March 31st, President Edmond G. Brown was declared dead.

On March 31st, in his Hotel Room in San Antonio, Texas, Ernest “Fritz” Hollings was sworn in as the Fortieth President of the United States.

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2009, 08:54:02 PM »

Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry

Also, is Muskie helding two posts at once?
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2009, 08:58:51 PM »

Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry

Also, is Muskie helding two posts at once?

Whoops! My bad, fixed.

And I know, Sad. Brown was one of my fav. Dems....... until the 90's.........
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2009, 07:06:31 AM »

And I know, Sad. Brown was one of my fav. Dems....... until the 90's.........

Hollings Presidency surely would be interesting.
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2009, 09:32:13 AM »

I just realized that my title is an oxymoron, Watergate still happens IMTL, its just Nixon isn't caught. lol
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2009, 03:22:55 PM »

The Presidency of Ernest Hollings, pt. 1

Upon the death of President Brown on March 31st, Vice President Ernest Hollings of South Carolina took the oath, much as one of his main heroes, Lyndon B. Johnson had nearly eighteen years before him. He was the first President from South Carolina and the first President from the Deep South since the election of Zachary Taylor in 1848.

On March 1st, President Hollings addressed the news to the American People:

“Americans, today, at 1:02, yesterday, President Brown passed away. The Doctors have been unable so far to find the answer, but the Doctors agree it was probably because of blood loss. This is a sad day for the United States. I declare today to be a day of mourning for our deceased former President. Please keep the Brown family in your prayers.”

President Edmond Brown was buried, as according to his wishes, in Arlington National Cemetery, which President Hollings immediately allowed the burial of the President, with near uniamonous approval from Congress, and the American Public.

On March 2nd, after the day of mourning, President Hollings got to work. He unveiled his economic plan in a joint session of Congress. Hollings called his plan, the American Recovery, and Economic Stability Act of 1981. There would be moderate sized Federal Bloc Grants to States and Cities that were in irreversible turmoil. There was also a mixture of tax credits for business who hired more workers, and also some more placed Welfare initiatives. Debate raged throughout the week on the ARESA, but the President finally got his way. The Act was passed by both houses and the President signed it on March 9th.

Much to the chagrin of American Farmers, President Hollings announced he would continue the Wheat Embargo against the Soviet Union until the Soviets withdrew their army units from Afghanistan. Soviet Leader Leonid Brezhnev refused to comply, and the Brown Embargo continued.

Finally, President Hollings decided upon naming a Vice President, which the President had vacated upon Jerry Brown’s death in March. Hollings had numerous names at the top of his list including:

-   Secretary of Defense Jeanne Kirkpatrick of Washington D.C.
-   Governor Reuben Askew of Florida
-   Congressman Ronald Dellums of California
-   Senator Walter Mondale of Minnesota
-   Senator Birch Bayh of Indiana
-   Governor Hugh Carey of New York

There was some speculation that the Black Congressman from California, Ronald Dellums might have been at the top of the list, but in the end, President Hollings chose New York Governor Hugh Carey as the 42nd Vice President of the United States. Hollings introduced Carey to the American People as a Governor “who fought for the little man, and businessman alike, and has done so exceptionally.” With no blemishes in his past, Carey was easily confirmed as Vice President.

In 1981, after Justice Potter Stewart retired, Hollings nominated Cruz Reynoso to the Supreme Court, becoming the first Hispanic Judge on the Supreme Court. There had been a tough nomination battle between the President and Congressional Republicans. Even a slim majority of the American People had opposed the nomination of Reynoso.

On October 2nd, Hollings appoints Paul Volcker to the Federal Chairmanship of the Federal Reserve. Volcker was a well respected economist, and Democrat, who had been suggested to President Connally in 1979 by Senator Brooke (R- MA). Volcker would prove to be very successful in lowering inflation, and by 1983, was widely credited for ending the Stagflation crisis that had engulfed the 1970’s.

After an improving economy, and one controversial Supreme Court Nomination, President Hollings’ approval ratings had floated from the mid sixties to the low seventies.
On November 3rd, Hollings calls for Congress to increase military funding by large margins. Some Liberals in Congress objected, Senator Edward Kennedy saying “We mustn’t trade butter for guns.” But Hollings argued that not only would increasing the American Military help the United States fight the Cold War, it would also decrease unemployment. The Liberals of Congress bought it, and the United States got a massively strengthened Military force. The Soviets were forced to spend more and more to keep up with the United States.

Hollings would also become a student of Zbigniew Brzezinski who had been the late President Brown’s appointed National Security Advisor. Hollings would agree with the “Humanitarian” approach of dealing with the Soviet Union, announcing he would only talk with the Soviets, if the Soviets withdrew their soldiers from Afghanistan.

In a State of the Union Address on January 5th, 1982 Hollings quoted a good friend of his, the late Hubert Humphrey of Minnesota. “It was once said by a great man in this hollow chamber that that the moral test of Government is how that Government treats those who are in the dawn of life, the children; those who are in the twilight of life, the elderly; and those who are in the shadows of life, the sick, the needy and the handicapped. Today, with your help America, I challenge us to pass this test!”

President Hollings making a session to Congress about his "Brighter Morning" Programs.

Hollings planned to implement several Economic and Domestic policies of his own. Hollings announced the “Brighter Morning” Economic Plan, which split into three different parts. The first part was a Full Unemployment Act, which would give millions of jobless jobs. The second part was a second round of Federal Block Grants to failing cities and states. The third part encompasses ending the NAFTA agreement that had been in place since 1978. President Brown had been unwilling to challenge it, but not President Hollings. The Plan met large enthusiasm from Congressional Liberals and Democrats, but opposition from Republicans.

The Republican Party were all together opposed to ending NAFTA, which they saw as one of the few bright areas of the previous Connally Administration. Hollings argues it “steals American jobs, American opportunity, and American money from Ordinary Americans.” Democrats argue that NAFTA was responsible for large increases in Unemployment during the Connally Administration. Republicans charged it increases revenue, and was beneficial.

The American public for the most part supported the President’s Domestic Agenda, with more than 66% of Americans approving of the “Brighter Morning” Economic and Domestic Package.

1982 Congressional Results

House
Democrats: 282 (+12)
Republicans: 163 (- 12)

Senate
Democrats: 58 (-1)
Republicans: 42 (+1)

The President being very popular helped the Democrats during the 1982 Midterm elections, the Democrats gained a small amount of seats in the House of Representatives, and only lost one seat in the senate, remarkably well for an Incumbent Party during the midterms.

One of the more notable Gubernatorial Elections was in traditionally Republican Texas. Congressman Kent Hance (D- TX) defeated favorite Mark White for the Democratic Nomination, and defeated William Clements (R- TX) in the general election for the Governorship of Texas.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2009, 04:05:02 PM »

And that's timeline with good POD, ideas and where kitties are not dying Smiley
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2009, 09:55:22 PM »
« Edited: September 06, 2009, 09:59:14 PM by Giovanni »

One last update today.....

1984 Presidential Election

The economy was back on track, although not booming, it definitely held signs of improving. President Hollings and his Democratic Party were definitely favored to win in the 1984 Presidential Election. But the Republicans hope that public fear of the deficit might turn into outrage, and turn into a possible Republican upset.

The Democratic Nomination

President Hollings announced on November 4th, 1983 that he fully intended to seek relection as President. Some remnants of the Democratic New Left were very skeptical of the President, who had escalated the Cold War with the Soviet Union, and were also worried about the President’s segregationist and Dixiecrat past. There were many rumors and support within the Democratic Party to sponsor a challenge to the President from the left in the primaries. That was until the Shadow Senator of the District of Colombia, The Reverend Jesse Jackson took the stage at a Students for Democratic Action meeting in Chicago, Illinois. The Reverend said: “President Hollings is a good man; he will lessen the gap between Rich and Poor, Black and White, Gay and Straight. He will unite us, He will steer us towards the path of Justice, the path of equality. We must all support Ernest Hollings as the next President of the United States!”
After the speech from Jackson, there was no challenge from the New Left. George McGovern even said “He may be a stubborn Jackass, but he’s our Stubborn Jackass” he said privately to his wife.

President Hollings would be supported fully by the Democratic Party, and was nominated uniamously along with his Vice President, Hugh Carey at the Democratic Convention. The keynote speaker was Senator Edward M. Kennedy who said: “For all those whose cares have been our concern, the work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives, and the dream shall never die.” There was also a eulogy to the late President Brown by Governor Jimmy Carter. With that, President Hollings accepted the nomination and ended his speech with “My thanks to all Democrats here tonight, now lets get to work!”

The Republican Nomination

After the Disastrous 1980 Presidential Election, the Republicans hoped to stay prominent in National Affairs, and as Republican Strategist, Kevin Phillips said “If it means offering up a sacrificial lamb, we’ll do it.” Even if the polls were against them, there was numerous top rank Republicans who itched at the Chance to run for President. The First was Robert Dole of Kansas, who was viewed as a moderate who could bring Conservatives and Moderates together. The second was Senator George H.W. Bush of Texas who after beating Lloyd Bentsen in the 1970 Senate Election, became Senate Minority Leader, and a prominent critic of President Hollings. Third was a surprise, Governor Ronald Reagan of California threw his hat into the ring. 1984 was viewed to many as Reagan’s last chance for the Presidency, but he was still very popular among Conservative Activists.

Senator Bush won in Iowa, squeaking past Dole in second place and Reagan in third place. Dole then comeback in New Hampshire, beating Reagan, with Bush in last place. Bush swept the Northern Primaries in Vermont and Massachusetts. When it all seemed hopeless, Ronald Reagan came back fighting, sweeping South Carolina, Alabama, Illinois, Florida and Georgia, knocking Dole out of the race. Bush won in Connecticut, but Reagan swept Dole’s home state of Kansas, Louisiana, and even a surprise win in Pennsylvania. Minority Leader Bush saw the writing on the wall, and dropped out.

The Republican Convention nominated Reagan with most of the delegates, although there was a last minute attempt for former Bush delegates to rally behind Attorney General Brooke (R- MA), but Reagan was easily nominated. Reagan chose Senator Dole as his running mate, but Dole refused, and instead Jack Kemp of New York was chosen.

The General Election

After the August Conventions, President Hollings had a twenty point lead over Governor Reagan, President Hollings would show the American people the accomplishments the Hollings Administration had made in the past three years. Ronald Reagan attacked Hollings for his Liberal Domestic Policies, arguing that he would drag the United States from the “free market small Government policies” back to the “Sixties Welfare State.”

In the one and only Presidential Debate, Governor Reagan would face the camera and ask “Are you better off then you were four years ago?” Reagan expected public support due to the large deficits created by Hollings. The President replied “Yes Ron, we are. The millions of Jobless that waited in lines for food stamps are now employed, America is stronger Militarily than we were four years ago, and that’s a fact Ron, not a movie.” That even made the Governor chuckle.

President Hollings defeated Reagan in a massive landslide, with the Governor even losing his home state of California by almost 9,000 votes. Hollings called the victory a “mandate for the Brighter Morning”.

President Ernest Hollings/ Hugh Carey: 59.7%, 508 EV's
Fmr. Governor Ronald Reagan/ Jack Kemp: 39.6, 30 EV's

The Democrats also expanded their majorities in Congress:

House
Democrats: 291 (+9)
Republicans: 154 (- 9)

Senate
Democrats: 61 (+3)
Republicans: 39 (-3)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to: