Who did you expect to win the US Presidential Election, July 2007?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:07:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Who did you expect to win the US Presidential Election, July 2007?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Who did you expect to win the US Presidential Election, July 2007?  (Read 4749 times)
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 20, 2009, 11:56:22 PM »

I was less informed back then, being only 12 Sad, but i wholeheartedly expected a Giuliani victory come Novemer 4th, defeating John Edwards. Rudy Giuliani would then be re-elected to a second term in 2012, defeating some other democrat. All I knew is,  Hillary Clinton wasn't going to win the democratic nomination. Hill/Billy wasn't going to happen.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 12:00:59 AM »

I was less informed back then, being only 12 Sad, but i wholeheartedly expected a Giuliani victory come Novemer 4th, defeating John Edwards. Rudy Giuliani would then be re-elected to a second term in 2012, defeating some other democrat. All I knew is,  Hillary Clinton wasn't going to win the democratic nomination. Hill/Billy wasn't going to happen.

LOL.

In July 2007, it was 5 months after I told my friends that Barack Obama was going to be our next president. They laughed at me. Now I'm laughing at all of them.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 12:04:31 AM »

I knew that more Democrats would vote for Hillary than Obama. I did not know that would result in Obama being the nominee. I was forced to support McCain. (I wanted Hillary)
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 12:07:28 AM »

I was honestly expecting Hillary Clinton to win back in mid-2007.  I knew the Republican was going to be a sacrificial lamb and the Clinton influence on the Democratic machine still seemed to large for anyone to overcome.  Luckily someone did.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 12:25:58 AM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/PRED/PRESIDENT/2008/pred.php?id=723&action=indpred&s=submit

Epic fail.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 12:28:24 AM »

Wow.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 12:31:51 AM »

Yeah; especially Louisiana.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 12:43:08 AM »

That, but It was funny to see a map favoring the GOP.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2009, 12:47:07 AM »

Hillary vs. Fred Thompson (lol)

https://uselectionatlas.org/PRED/PRESIDENT/2008/pred.php?id=221&action=indpred&s=submit

(plz don't look up prediction #5)
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2009, 12:58:32 AM »

Giuliani-Thune 327 EVs
Edwards-Cantwell 211 EVs

An Epic Fail if there ever was one, I thought Edwards could do good in the South while Giuliani won New York for the GOP, by having Bloomberg endorse him and the low approval rating of Eliot Spitzer. Epic Fail.
nhmagic
azmagic
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.62, S: 4.61

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2009, 01:28:38 AM »

Hillary Clinton, all the way - and I still wish she would have won.  She was practically more conservative than Obama and McCain - and republicans wouldn't feel guilty about opposing her like they do about Obama.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2009, 01:36:42 AM »

Hillary Clinton, all the way - and I still wish she would have won.  She was practically more conservative than Obama and McCain - and republicans wouldn't feel guilty about opposing her like they do about Obama.

She would've certainly done better than both.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2009, 03:23:51 PM »

Clinton. Wasn't happy about it.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2009, 03:39:58 PM »

I was 12 then aswell and wasn't paying attention to it. But with the little news we were getting, in the UK, about the election I remember really liking Obama and wanting him to win.
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2009, 03:43:08 PM »

My prediction was very close to yours......

Except.. I wanted it to be Giuliani /Bloomberg (R) *  v. Hillary / Richardson (D)

* Note : I was a moderate / tilt conservative  in 2007
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2009, 04:06:44 PM »

I wasn't even aware of the US Presidential Election Campaign until about March 2008, when on BBC News i saw Hillary giving i speech, i think it was on Mini-Super Tuesday. I didn't even know what Primaries where, so i asked my dad "So is Hillary the President now?" He said something like "No, but she goes on to the next stage". Then abotu once every week i asked my dad "How is Hillary doing?" He always said "I think she's just about clinging on". I supported Hillary at that point, but i always expected Obama now win the nomination and the Presidency for some reason.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2009, 04:10:00 PM »

My July 2007 prediction: 316 D - 222 R

I was figuring there would be a third-party run of the libertarian persuasion that would take a few percentage points mainly from the Democrats.  Didn't have any clear idea who the nominee would be for either party.  This prediction ended up being far closer to the actual result than the ones I had in the first half of 2008.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2009, 04:21:04 PM »

I wasn't even aware of the US Presidential Election Campaign until about March 2008, when on BBC News i saw Hillary giving i speech, i think it was on Mini-Super Tuesday. I didn't even know what Primaries where, so i asked my dad "So is Hillary the President now?" He said something like "No, but she goes on to the next stage". Then abotu once every week i asked my dad "How is Hillary doing?" He always said "I think she's just about clinging on". I supported Hillary at that point, but i always expected Obama now win the nomination and the Presidency for some reason.

That's basically how it went for me, but I remember detesting Hillary during the primary and wondering when she won Texas and Ohio "So... she's won then? Squinting" I didn't start paying a huge amount of attention until I started watching the Dem Convention coverage on BBC News and then watching the Palin announcement later that week and being like "WTF? She's seems to stupid to be the next Vice-President..."
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2009, 05:43:33 PM »

Obama, though I still feared the Bradley effect.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2009, 06:04:51 PM »

HRC
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2009, 07:04:07 PM »

I thought that it would be Clinton versus Giuliani with the former winning in a landslide.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2009, 07:10:18 PM »

Its intresting to see both of your predictions on this, Kucinich Supporter and Re-elect Obama. Tell me more on how foriegners view the US presidential elections.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2009, 09:22:57 PM »

At the time I though it would be Hillary vs. Romney. McCain had collapsed and Rudy's lead was nationally and based on only name recognition and Fred just sent shockwives to me of being a non-starter. While Mitt Romney just came off two very successful debate performances, was rising nationally, getting a lot of good press, and he had seized early leads in IA and NH. Little did I know it was a little too early.

I didn't think it was Obama's time in 2008. It was too early for him and I think that he was still a little raw on the inside if you know what I mean. I didn't anticipate the power of pop culture and the influence of the media on this race. I fully expected Hillary to win the Dem Primary.

I actually thought it would be a toss-up in the general one of them winning narrowly, probably Hillary. I expected that if Romney won he would have to have a good first term cause OBama would come down like a ton of bricks in 2012. I also felt similar about Hillary that if she screwed up Obama would sweep he away in the 2012 primary like he ended up doing in 2008.

2007 was when my views became firmly set on where they are now. I have never been prone to wild swings in beleifs and had always consider myself a Republican and a Conservative at least on some level.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2009, 10:26:13 PM »

I thought it was going to be Edwards and Giuliani, with Edwards winning. I can't say I was a very smart 13 year old.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2009, 10:44:38 PM »

Hillary Clinton at that point, though I certainly felt Obama or Edwards had a decent shot at the nomination.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies