Should the Canadian federal government force Quebec to repeal its language laws? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 07:47:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Should the Canadian federal government force Quebec to repeal its language laws? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should the Canadian federal government force Quebec to repeal its language laws?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 13

Author Topic: Should the Canadian federal government force Quebec to repeal its language laws?  (Read 8180 times)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« on: August 17, 2009, 12:31:25 AM »

Yes. I'm not familiar enough with Canadian federalism to know how this could be done, but it has to. Those laws make me want to boycott Quebec, sadly I can't think of anything from Quebec I buy anyway.

Canadian federal government tried very hard, but they didn't succeeded. What is the problem with those laws? There make so much sense in the historical context.

In English businesses, they were refusing to serve people talking in French. French businesses were working in English, too, since that was seen as the future. Unable to have higher education in French. English had all the money and they were using to kill French language.

Without those laws, French would have died in North America a couple of years ago.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 02:49:04 AM »

Yes. I'm not familiar enough with Canadian federalism to know how this could be done, but it has to. Those laws make me want to boycott Quebec, sadly I can't think of anything from Quebec I buy anyway.

Canadian federal government tried very hard, but they didn't succeeded. What is the problem with those laws? There make so much sense in the historical context.

I read a story once about a couple in Quebec that ran a business selling homemade maple syrup. Most of their customers lived in the US or the rest of Canada, so their website was English only. A French translation made no business sense. Well this was found out and they were fined for it. Then there's nonsense like KFC having to be called KPF, even though it is called KFC in France, and businesses facing fines for nonsense like not having their French signs significantly larger than their English ones. And the extreme lack of freedom in denying parents with a Francophone background the right to send their kids to Anglophone school.

So, for PFK and the larger font for French, that was struck by the Supreme court. Now, that is only illegal to put another language larger than French. Most are doing signs in the same size. And businesses don't need to change their name, but most do it because studies proven than a store with an English name can lose more than 15% of potential customers because of that. We have a few extremists, I know. They do protestations against businesses who have English names and are always screaming than French is dying.

For Anglophone schools, that was because French parents and immigrants were putting their children in Anglophone schools, because that was the only way to have good education, since English is the language of the future. Now, we could delete that law without problems.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 05:28:02 PM »

Can people also stop thinking Québec is some sort of ultra-conservative ethnonationalistic/linguonationalistic hellhole, please? We don't chain up the evil English and put them in cages and whip them every night.

Please.

Sometimes it turns to a knee jerk caricature against English words, actually, but well, ok...

It's only the protection of a language, whether or not you agree with that.

Yes, yes, and I still think that's too much of some knee jerk things, they impose themselves to translate almost everything, at least on the public scene, seems the people in their daily language are more open-minded there...

My favorite example is that in France, stop signs can say STOP, but in Quebec they say ARRÊT.

They should say ARRÊT in France, too.
EU uniformity.

Seriously? I don't know why we have "stop" here, it seems to me to have become rather international. Though "STOP" is fine, it's brief, easily comes, it works good for what it is purposed, "ARRET" would be too long to say A-RRET, no, "STOP" is better. Plus "stop" became hugely common in France, surely one of the most used words, we use to pronounce it like " 'top ".

But it's not French.

We don't have ARRÊT on our signs.

Oh, and, a convention of the French language established that we ban the French accent so said "accent circonflexe" " ^" from the caps, maybe it didn't come until Québec.

That convention was invented because France was too weak to impose keyboards where we are able to put accents on caps. Sorry.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 05:36:52 PM »

Don't be sorry. No matter what would be the reason of this convention, that's like that.

Convention in France. Don't act like the Académie Française and act like your decisions have an effect out of France.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies