Should the Canadian federal government force Quebec to repeal its language laws? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:21:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Should the Canadian federal government force Quebec to repeal its language laws? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should the Canadian federal government force Quebec to repeal its language laws?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 13

Author Topic: Should the Canadian federal government force Quebec to repeal its language laws?  (Read 8143 times)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« on: August 17, 2009, 12:18:21 PM »

My favorite example is that in France, stop signs can say STOP, but in Quebec they say ARRĘT.

They should say ARRĘT in France, too.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 05:27:46 PM »

Even if some of the measures don't make sense now, I think that the paranoia is understandable.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 10:38:07 PM »

It kind of reminds me of that graph of Christians saying "we're oppressed" while making up the majority... Just change it from "we're being oppressed" to whatever "our language is being suppressed" is translated to in French.

At one point, there was a situation like that of Ireland during the Lordship and early Kingdom. This, of course, basically killed the Irish language.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 02:24:12 PM »

It kind of reminds me of that graph of Christians saying "we're oppressed" while making up the majority... Just change it from "we're being oppressed" to whatever "our language is being suppressed" is translated to in French.

At one point, there was a situation like that of Ireland during the Lordship and early Kingdom. This, of course, basically killed the Irish language.

Ummm.. No.

Yeah, I guess I was exaggerating a bit.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 05:01:24 PM »

My favorite example is that in France, stop signs can say STOP, but in Quebec they say ARRĘT.

They should say ARRĘT in France, too.
EU uniformity.

Seriously? I don't know why we have "stop" here, it seems to me to have become rather international. Though "STOP" is fine, it's brief, easily comes, it works good for what it is purposed, "ARRET" would be too long to say A-RRET, no, "STOP" is better. Plus "stop" became hugely common in France, surely one of the most used words, we use to pronounce it like " 'top ".

But it's not French.

We don't have ARRĘT on our signs.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 07:45:39 PM »

Don't be sorry. No matter what would be the reason of this convention, that's like that.

It's like that in many languages, actually.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies