Should the Canadian federal government force Quebec to repeal its language laws? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:47:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Should the Canadian federal government force Quebec to repeal its language laws? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should the Canadian federal government force Quebec to repeal its language laws?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 13

Author Topic: Should the Canadian federal government force Quebec to repeal its language laws?  (Read 8146 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« on: August 19, 2009, 02:12:30 PM »

My favorite example is that in France, stop signs can say STOP, but in Quebec they say ARRĘT.

They should say ARRĘT in France, too.
EU uniformity.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 02:13:47 PM »

And the education granted to the French population was the education of the Catholic Church and the UN government which ensured that everybody was dumb, poor and with little future.
Now who could complain about that? Huh Grin
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 12:16:01 PM »

Not sure, actually. I know differences between signs between European countries were eliminated in the 80s, but I'm neither sure it was the EU that did that and not some voluntary agreement (perhaps larger than EU-wide, the EU was pretty small then) nor do I know what your stop signs said before that.
I know stop signs in China and Spanish America are in the native languages, though.

So... I checked Wikipedia... and they said
"The already-widespread use of the MUTCD [some convention of US states on the issue of road signage] stop sign became law in the United States in 1966. In 1968 this sign was adopted by the Vienna Convention on Road Signs and Signals as part of United Nations Economic Commission for Europe's effort to standardize road travel across borders. The Convention specifies that 'stop' be written in English or the national language and allows an alternative circular yellow sign. Many European countries are party to the Convention. English speaking countries, the exception being India, are not party to the Convention but usually use the red octagonal stop sign per their own standards, like the MUTCD. Even in countries not associated with either standard mentioned above the red octagonal stop sign is often used. Unique types of stop signs may be still be observed in countries like Japan."

So, yeah, nothing to do with the EU.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies