Should the Canadian federal government force Quebec to repeal its language laws? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 06:09:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Should the Canadian federal government force Quebec to repeal its language laws? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should the Canadian federal government force Quebec to repeal its language laws?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 13

Author Topic: Should the Canadian federal government force Quebec to repeal its language laws?  (Read 8174 times)
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« on: August 17, 2009, 04:03:35 PM »

One, I strongly doubt the federal government has the right to repeal provincial laws, especially in domains such as this one.

Secondly, as Max said, the law in the 1960s and 1970s made historical sense. In the Grande Noirceur and until the Quiet Revolution, Quebec business interests were dominated by wealthy English-speakers in Westmount and everything, from menus to medicine information, was in English, in a province which was by far majority French. And the education granted to the French population was the education of the Catholic Church and the UN government which ensured that everybody was dumb, poor and with little future. French was under serious threat by the '60's and '70's, so Law 101 made perfect sense, even if some clauses were excessively authoritarian.

Certain parts of Law 101 could, arguably, be repealed. The famous education clause which forces children of French-educated parents to go to French language schools is authoritarian and pure stupidity (and the reason why I'm a citizen of Ontario today). However, the nationalists will argue with you that if the clause is removed, you potentially face the risk of having English grow in Quebec - but English is growing in Quebec because of more immigration and because the clause only applies to elementary and secondary education, meaning that the clause does not apply to CEGEPs and universities. And the clause is also potentially open to loopholes of all sorts and so forth. And it's stupid (you must go to a French school if both parents were educated in French) and now represents the close-mindedness of certain Quebecois, mostly nationalists who are still sprouting OMG ENGLISH IS EVIL. And repealing it, imo, won't do anything important. And that type of linguistic nationalism also incites people, from open-minded liberal Quebecois to immigrants to immigrate to Ontario or the West instead of facing old regressive nationalism. Example: yours truly.

As to my answer, the law did good things for the French language in Quebec and the lack of language legislation in Quebec would seriously threaten the French language, and in this era of globalization and immigration, it is arguably even more under threat than before. I say this with no nationalist undertones (I would vote NO in any future independence referendum). Some facets of the language laws are necessary and should be kept, while others are stupid and their repeal wouldn't represent a blow to French in la belle province.

The close-minded nationalist attitude which exists in Quebec amongst many Pequistes (which consists of saying that English Canadians are evil monsters and evil evil evil) and exists in English Canada (which consists of saying that French sucks, that Quebec sucks) are both equally stupid and regressive. If people want to hold those ridiculous close-minded, nationalist, stupid and regressive views, then so be it. I don't really care.

As to the typical "Canada sucks" stupidity, I don't care. I've heard that bullsh**t enough and I stopped caring. And many times, it's nothing more than a joke, even if a joke in bad taste.

Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 05:12:49 PM »

Can people also stop thinking Québec is some sort of ultra-conservative ethnonationalistic/linguonationalistic hellhole, please? We don't chain up the evil English and put them in cages and whip them every night.

Please.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 05:17:28 PM »

Can people also stop thinking Québec is some sort of ultra-conservative ethnonationalistic/linguonationalistic hellhole, please? We don't chain up the evil English and put them in cages and whip them every night.

Please.

Sometimes it turns to a knee jerk caricature against English words, actually, but well, ok...

It's only the protection of a language, whether or not you agree with that.

English Quebecois are not and have never been persecuted like linguistic minorities are or were in some countries. People can get that retarded inanity out of their brains now, mar plij.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 06:18:49 PM »

Please.

Sometimes it turns to a knee jerk caricature against English words, actually, but well, ok...

Yes, yes, and I still think that's too much of some knee jerk things, they impose themselves to translate almost everything, at least on the public scene, seems the people in their daily language are more open-minded there...

You'll be hard pressed to find Québecois who use such atrocities like "le week-end", "le shopping", "le roller" or "c'est cool".

Please stop thinking that everybody speaks or should speak your 'pure' version of French.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 06:27:45 PM »

Please.

Yes, yes, and I still think that's too much of some knee jerk things, they impose themselves to translate almost everything, at least on the public scene, seems the people in their daily language are more open-minded there...

You'll be hard pressed to find Québecois who use such atrocities like "le week-end", "le shopping", "le roller" or "c'est cool".

Please stop thinking that everybody speaks or should speak your 'pure' version of French.

Well, I don't know, your experience of Québec is certainly more dense than mine, though, I practiced them a lot by chats a long time ago, and actually they used almost more English than we can do here, I speak about youngs, people of my age, some Québequois I heard were also saying that US was close there, that's why they used enough English words. Here's on what I based myself.

As I said from the beginning, they speak whatever they want, I was just saying what I thought of what I observed.

Let's stop using anecdotal evidence, please.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies