Direct popular election of the German president
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:53:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Direct popular election of the German president
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Direct popular election of the German president  (Read 2514 times)
rob in cal
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 16, 2009, 09:55:00 PM »

I'm wondering if any party or politician in Germany has called for the President to be directly elected by the people. The mere fact that such a figure would be directly elected would hardly mean that they would have to be a powerful figure like in France. Austria and Ireland have shown this to be the case.  I'd love to see directly elected presidents in Italy and Germany. I know that in Italy the right wing National Alliance supports this idea.
I'm guessing that because the Weimar Republic had a directly elected president the post-war feeling was that the concept was to intertwined with the Nazi takeover. Hindenburg named Hitler chancellor, and Hindenburg was directly elected, so that somehow discredited the whole concept I suppose. 
Hans-im-Glück
Franken
Junior Chimp
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -5.94, S: -3.30

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 01:52:50 AM »

I'm wondering if any party or politician in Germany has called for the President to be directly elected by the people. The mere fact that such a figure would be directly elected would hardly mean that they would have to be a powerful figure like in France. Austria and Ireland have shown this to be the case.  I'd love to see directly elected presidents in Italy and Germany. I know that in Italy the right wing National Alliance supports this idea.
I'm guessing that because the Weimar Republic had a directly elected president the post-war feeling was that the concept was to intertwined with the Nazi takeover. Hindenburg named Hitler chancellor, and Hindenburg was directly elected, so that somehow discredited the whole concept I suppose. 

There give some politicians who want this, but this are not many. The problem is the German President have nearly no power and is a function which only for representation. When you elect him directly then he needs more power and this changes the complet system. I think we don't need a president in Germany. The chancellor can make it too.
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 03:38:17 AM »

Add Finland, even if the president there has more powers.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 04:03:39 AM »

Yah, Austria directly elects their President, with roughly identical constitutional powers. (That Klestil sort of got to try to use once, something that's never happened here. Basically we're talking in situations where government formation is difficult.)
Because the position is very easy to fill, ceremonial Presidents in either country are usually quite popular and are reelected if they want to. Given the way they're preselected by the parties, the election campaigns are hardly riveting or particularly democratic.
Bottom line. Direct election wouldn't change anything. I'll take whatever costs least.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 08:42:49 AM »
« Edited: August 17, 2009, 08:44:35 AM by Old Europe »

The inumbent president once said in an interview that he supports the direct election of the president.

The bottomline is that it hasn't sufficient support among CDU and SPD to make the necessary amendment the constitution.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies