List what you agree with the opposite Party With.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 06:59:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  List what you agree with the opposite Party With.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: List what you agree with the opposite Party With.  (Read 2416 times)
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 16, 2009, 02:54:26 PM »

Im a Republican so,

Abortion (I support)
Gay Marriage (Sort of)
Gays in Military (I support)
Patriot Act (against)
Tax Cuts for Middle Class (Haven't seen it yet though....)
Closing Guantanamo (support)
Immigrants (for)
Free Trade (bad idea)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 03:13:53 PM »

I oppose Gun Control
I support tougher restrictions of Eminent Domain
I reluctantly support Immigration Reform...at least until I have a job that I was trained for. Tongue
I support our wars
I support SOME public access to the Federal Estate
I reluctantly support the delisting of Wolves in Wyoming.  However, I oppose any new predator eradication projects.
I willing to settle for a "mixed" option instead of a public option on health care.
I am willing to support Social Security Reform as long as it is conditioned or done after the passing of Health Care Reform

Things I am unable to comprimise with the Republican Leadership at this time-
* The overturning of Casey v. Planned Parenthood
* The Employer's Free Choice Act
* Opposition to DOMA
* Some form of non-private health insurance that is universally available
* Marginal Tax rates for individuals and families over $350,000 per annum under 40%
* The PATRIOT Act
* Stem Cell Enhancement Act
* Sumptuary Reform
* Don't Ask Don't Tell
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 03:39:11 PM »

Drugs. I am vehemently opposed to the legalization of drugs, including marijuana. And yeah that's about the only thing on which I agree with the Republicans.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 03:43:48 PM »

Drugs. I am vehemently opposed to the legalization of drugs, including marijuana. And yeah that's about the only thing on which I agree with the Republicans.

Exactly what I think.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 03:46:21 PM »

Gun Control
Estate Tax
Foreign Policy
Affirmative Action
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 04:00:03 PM »

Gun Control
Estate Tax
Foreign Policy
Affirmative Action

Oh, yeah, I forgot about affirmative action. I agree with the Republicans on that, too. I don't think that a person's skin color or gender or religion (or even sexual orientation, yes I can say that) should give them a leg up in the hiring or enrolling process. I know I sound like a Republican saying this but a *wise* (ha) white male shouldn't be reversely discriminated against for mistakes that our ancestors made over 200 years ago. It's seriously time we buried the whole slavery-racism argument and move forward because the more we dwell on it and continue to dig it up, the more it's going to hang around and just cause more problems and breed more racism. Employers and schools should select the most qualified person who they think will work the hardest and actually succeed as opposed to merely selecting them just to fill a quota. I'm sorry but if I was hired by a company simply to be the only white man working there or the only openly gay man (which, would never happen) and I knew that I didn't get the job because of my qualifications, I'd be a little ashamed of myself and I'd think it was pathetic, and yeah I'd probably quit.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 04:04:04 PM »

Gun Control
Estate Tax
Foreign Policy
Affirmative Action

Oh, yeah, I forgot about affirmative action. I agree with the Republicans on that, too. I don't think that a person's skin color or gender or religion (or even sexual orientation, yes I can say that) should give them a leg up in the hiring or enrolling process. I know I sound like a Republican saying this but a *wise* (ha) white male shouldn't be reversely discriminated against for mistakes that our ancestors made over 200 years ago. It's seriously time we buried the whole slavery-racism argument and move forward because the more we dwell on it and continue to dig it up, the more it's going to hang around and just cause more problems and breed more racism. Employers and schools should select the most qualified person who they think will work the hardest and actually succeed as opposed to merely selecting them just to fill a quota. I'm sorry but if I was hired by a company simply to be the only white man working there or the only openly gay man (which, would never happen) and I knew that I didn't get the job because of my qualifications, I'd be a little ashamed of myself and I'd think it was pathetic, and yeah I'd probably quit.

Affirmative action is what makes your sig have to say "should have been."
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 04:08:36 PM »

I also actually oppose Affirmative Action for the reasons you mentioned. However, I can't say I agree with Republicans on this issue since their position seems saying "let's do nothing and racism will fade away itself" which is false. I support state measures in order to change mentalities such as tougher laws against racial hatred ( that's why Ist Amendment should be modified ) and state agencies to promote equality ( something like HALDE in France ).
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009, 04:09:42 PM »

I also actually oppose Affirmative Action for the reasons you mentioned. However, I can't say I agree with Republicans on this issue since their position seems saying "let's do nothing and racism will fade away itself" which is false. I support state measures in order to change mentalities such as tougher laws against racial hatred ( that's why Ist Amendment should be modified ) and state agencies to promote equality ( something like HALDE in France ).

Amending the first amendment is a terrible idea. You can't ban hatred anyways.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2009, 04:14:44 PM »

Yes, we can. At least we can try.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2009, 04:17:10 PM »

We shouldn't try.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2009, 04:19:31 PM »

We shouldn't try.

Do you ( honestly ) think France is a dictatorship ? Because we've plenty of laws against racial hatred.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2009, 04:20:25 PM »

Gun Control
Estate Tax
Foreign Policy
Affirmative Action

Affirmative action is what makes your sig have to say "should have been."

Careful if you say that you'll be called a racist but yeah, I agree. She would have easily won the nomination had she been black (she would have won black women like 100-0) but I don't think it all boils down to race. You are very right, though. Why is it not racism when African Americans vote 95%+ for Obama but it is when Hillary or McCain wins white voters by like 70-80%+? There's a double standard, that's for sure.

The Clinton campaign didn't really organize for caucuses (she only won one caucus state - Nevada, but Obama still received one more delegate out of it). The media (MSNBC in particular) hated her ever since she lost Iowa and all the pundits on there (with the exception of Pat Buchanan) trashed her and her supporters as being nothing but a bunch of backwoods stupid racists all for voting for her. She was consistently painted as a conservative Democrat (which she is not, by any stretch of the imagination) all because she voted for the War in Iraq (along with most other Democrats) because they were given faulty information from the Bush Administration. But I guess that since she ran against Obama, the most liberal member of the U.S. Senate, she was the more conservative choice.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2009, 04:20:44 PM »

We shouldn't try.

Do you ( honestly ) think France is a dictatorship ? Because we've plenty of laws against racial hatred.

I never said France is a dictatorship. And no I do not think that.

Speech should be generally unrestricted regardless of the hatred it may represent.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2009, 04:23:22 PM »

We shouldn't try.

Speech should be generally unrestricted regardless of the hatred it may represent.

Could I ask you why ?
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2009, 04:26:31 PM »

Most social issues (Dems)
Death penalty and war on Drugs (Republicans)
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2009, 04:27:17 PM »

We shouldn't try.

Could I ask you why ?

Because everyone has a legitimate right to say and think and feel however they choose to, when we place restrictions on personal beliefs, that's akin to destroying the free speech our founders fought for. The 1st amendment was written as is for a reason, you know. Wink
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2009, 04:28:05 PM »

We shouldn't try.

We seem to agree a lot on this issue! Tongue I don't think we need to ban hate speech either, because the First Amendment protects this. If the government starts going after certain groups and attempts to censor them, it creates an agenda. While I find such fringe groups as the Ku Klux Klan, neo-Nazis, the Westboro Baptist Church (and most fundamentalist churches in general), and Fox News to be deplorable and the crap they spew to be morally repugnant, their speech, no matter how despicable it may be, is protected by the First Amendment. Just because you don't like what someone has to say doesn't mean they don't have the right to say it.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2009, 04:36:38 PM »

You can't compare Fox News and the KKK. For is just a joke TV for conservatives, the other claims that blacks are inferior beings. The second claim is a permanent threat to democracy and has not to be tolerated.

I understand ( and admire ) the purpose of Ist Amendment. But freedom of expression, as every freedom, threatens others' freedom when it's unlimited. As I said sometimes ago, here is what I think :

To sum up, you are free to attack the ideas and opinions, but not the people themselves.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2009, 04:54:41 PM »
« Edited: August 16, 2009, 04:57:28 PM by Mint »

You mean the issues the GOP 'disagrees with' Democrats on but more often than not does nothing on or even expands upon once actually elected? The predictable stuff. Taxes, healthcare, entitlements, guns, illegal immigration (re: no amnesty) to name a few.
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2009, 05:02:11 PM »

Obama, the most liberal member of the U.S. Senate
lol
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2009, 05:32:09 PM »

I know, that talking point's almost as dumb now as when it was tried on Kerry.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2009, 05:34:22 PM »

Most social issues (gun rights, abortion, affirmative action, death penalty, etc.).
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2009, 12:13:45 AM »

Unions
Gay Adoption
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2009, 12:30:08 AM »

Abortion
Gay Marraige
Death Penalty
Drug Laws

Some other things:

(I also support legalizing prostitution)
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies