Euros as bad at math as Americans
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:32:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Euros as bad at math as Americans
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Euros as bad at math as Americans  (Read 2547 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 14, 2009, 03:19:19 AM »

link
You must be logged in to read this quote.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 03:21:48 AM »

This has nothing to do with maths, it's just luck.
In real maths, the US is quite behind Europe:
http://www.air.org/news/documents/Release200511math.htm
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 03:28:59 AM »

Thank you for making this three times funnier. Smiley
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 09:30:56 AM »

I think here we must remember George Bernard Shaw and quote to ourselves that a lottery is little more than "a tax on foolishness" (never mind, maths).
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 11:54:36 AM »

You don't have to be bad at math to be bad at probability and rational choice. (Plus, rational choice sometimes tells us to do stupid things, as in the St. Petersburg paradox.)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 12:12:05 PM »

I only barely survived high schoold because of math. Only because I was good in Polish and History they allowed me to pass.

Math sucks!
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 08:42:26 AM »

Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 08:46:04 AM »

I don't know if that it the way I'd interpret it. Rather, Asia excels at math, Eastern Europe does damn good and Western Europe and the States suck.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2009, 03:06:38 PM »

I don't know if that it the way I'd interpret it. Rather, Asia excels at math, Eastern Europe does damn good and Western Europe and the States suck.
Yes, that confirms my impression of the education systems in Western Europe from when I lived there. It's rather bizarrely that my country is trying to copy the Western European and American systems.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2009, 03:12:57 PM »

It's cause were getting fat, dumb and happy. Were ro used to greatness, While Asia and East Europe are striving for. According to Obama, he'll get us back on top by 2025 and I hope he's correct.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2009, 05:26:44 PM »

Not everyone buying a lottery ticket is "bad at math" expecting to win. I sure as hell don't.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2009, 05:47:15 PM »

Not everyone buying a lottery ticket is "bad at math" expecting to win. I sure as hell don't.

So they're just voluntarily throwing money away?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2009, 05:51:07 PM »

If I have a buck to spare, I  might buy a lottery ticket, but I'm not expecting to win. Worst case scenario: I'm out of a buck. Not exactly tragic.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2009, 09:16:19 PM »

If I have a buck to spare, I  might buy a lottery ticket, but I'm not expecting to win. Worst case scenario: I'm out of a buck. Not exactly tragic.

So, you have money, and you throw it away on something you know will almost certianly yield no value. I'd say that's bad at math. I supported TN getting the lottery a few years back, but have come to change my mind on the subject.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2009, 11:18:31 PM »

So, you have money, and you throw it away on something you know will almost certianly yield no value. I'd say that's bad at math. I supported TN getting the lottery a few years back, but have come to change my mind on the subject.
No, they are great.  It's a tax on the stupid.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2009, 11:21:17 PM »

The best math people in the US are quite good , despite what the pro-H1B lunatics will tell you.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2009, 01:21:26 AM »

Well if not spent on the lottery ticket it'd most likely end up in a stripper's G-string. Not sure which you'd consider better.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2009, 09:22:29 AM »

Well if not spent on the lottery ticket it'd most likely end up in a stripper's G-string. Not sure which you'd consider better.

Not where I would have spent the dollar, but that's irrealavant. It was your dollar. You got what you wanted from it. With the lottery, you get nothing. In short:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5QGkOGZubQ&NR=1
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2009, 09:45:18 AM »

Not where I would have spent the dollar, but that's irrealavant. It was your dollar. You got what you wanted from it. With the lottery, you get nothing. In short:

He didn't get anything tangible, no, but I suppose he got some entertainment value out of it at least - lots of people gamble knowing they are probably going to lose, be it lottery, slots, poker, etc. The odds are against you, but there's an element of thrill to it. Seeing as those other methods tend to be much more expensive, a buck for a lotto ticket is rather cheap.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2009, 11:56:03 AM »

He didn't get anything tangible, no, but I suppose he got some entertainment value out of it at least - lots of people gamble knowing they are probably going to lose, be it lottery, slots, poker, etc. The odds are against you, but there's an element of thrill to it. Seeing as those other methods tend to be much more expensive, a buck for a lotto ticket is rather cheap.

Exactly. I don't get anything tangible from giving it to a stripper either.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2009, 02:43:58 PM »

Yes, that confirms my impression of the education systems in Western Europe from when I lived there. It's rather bizarrely that my country is trying to copy the Western European and American systems.

What's even more puzzling is rich Asians who spend tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars to send their young children to prep schools in North America. Granted they're sending them to big-name elite prep schools, but still.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2009, 06:23:59 PM »
« Edited: August 16, 2009, 06:34:19 PM by ag »

You don't have to be bad at math to be bad at probability and rational choice. (Plus, rational choice sometimes tells us to do stupid things, as in the St. Petersburg paradox.)

Rational choice emphatically does not imply anything stupid in St. Petersburg paradox. Rational choice has nothing to do w/ evaluating monetary lotteries at their expected monetary value. In fact, as a professor who teaches rational choice I can tell you the following: if you answer like this on an exam you'll fail Smiley
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2009, 06:25:43 PM »

So they're just voluntarily throwing money away?

They believe that the small probability of having a humongous payout is worth a buck. Could be absolutely rational.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2009, 06:30:59 PM »

Somebody gets paid. There is a tiny probability event it would be you - tiny, but positive. The worst that happens - you loose a buck. Dreams are worth more than a buck. It could be (from a certain viewpoint) and absolutely rational transaction. Yes, on average it costs money - about as much as a can of coke. Unless your objective in life is to maximize expected monetary payoff (in other words, unless you are a robot) there is nothing intrinsically stupid about buying that ticket.

Disclaimer: I myself never buy lottery tickets.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2009, 06:32:21 PM »

You got a chance to dream (and, with a tiny probability, you'd change your life). A dream is worth more than a dollar to you. Rational choice theory says you should buy that damn ticket Smiley
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies