Maine's Question 1
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:21:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Maine's Question 1
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28
Author Topic: Maine's Question 1  (Read 158129 times)
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #575 on: November 05, 2009, 02:52:04 AM »

I find anyone that thinks Prop 8 passing worse than slavery to be morally repulsive.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #576 on: November 05, 2009, 02:52:50 AM »

People at my high school did last year when the Prop 8 battle was going on. From then on, I refused to group with such people.

What does that even mean, logically?

It means that I do not go to their rallies or attend their meetings in favor or in opposition to gay marriage.

because you, at one point, met someone that said something stupid?  Under that logic I should not post on this forum because you just posted that.

No. Not just one person. It was an organization on campus. Even then, the Prop 8 opposition and supporters in my city were both very violent and despicable.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #577 on: November 05, 2009, 02:54:58 AM »
« Edited: November 05, 2009, 02:56:29 AM by Alcon »

No. Not just one person. It was an organization on campus. Even then, the Prop 8 opposition and supporters in my city were both very violent and despicable.

What, a majority of the anti-Prop. 8 voters in your city were violent?  And this was a trait not possessed by a meaningful number of their pro-Prop. 8 counterparts?  And now you must harness the power of an Internet forum to get the word out about how the Bakersfield Prop. 8 opposition's argument was wrong darn it, and by the way they're bad people, and that has something to do with gay marriage somehow, and getting this info out there is important while this whole gay marriage issue is "objectively nothing"?

Do you realize how hilarious your posts become cumulatively when you don't think before you post?
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #578 on: November 05, 2009, 02:55:41 AM »

I find anyone that thinks Prop 8 passing worse than slavery to be morally repulsive stupid.

I wouldn't go as far as calling it morally repulsive, just very stupid. As repulsive as I find it for the state to deny legal equality to homosexuals it is still quite a bit better than being property to another person and having to do whatever they say.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #579 on: November 05, 2009, 02:56:31 AM »

What, a majority of the anti-Prop. 8 voters in your city were violent?  And this was a trait not possessed by a meaningful number of their opponents?  And now you must harness the power of an Internet forum to get the word out about how the Bakersfield Prop. 8 opposition's argument was wrong darn it, because that's important while this whole gay marriage issue is "objectively nothing"?

Do you realize how hilarious your posts become cumulatively when you don't think before you post?

Think before YOU post. Notice I said opposition AND supporters. And no, not a majority. But the face of the campaign. And yes, it is important, because it overwhelmingly reflects poorly on both sides.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #580 on: November 05, 2009, 03:09:00 AM »

Think before YOU post. Notice I said opposition AND supporters. And no, not a majority. But the face of the campaign. And yes, it is important, because it overwhelmingly reflects poorly on both sides.

More a matter of misreading than not thinking.

So basically, some people who feel strongly about gay marriage are sometimes asses, which you're bringing up because...you believe it's unique to this issue?

And you're presumably bringing up the campus organization's stupid opinion for some reason, unless you're under the impression that stupid opinions are unique to this issue, or that the stupid opinions having been voiced to you somehow make them significant (Huh).  I'm lost on what that was meant to demonstrate.

And it's important that it "overwhelmingly reflects poorly on both sides?  First of all, anyone who thinks such people are the "face of the issue" clearly have had little actual ground-level involvement in "the issue."  With few exceptions, those types are kept away from any position of influence.  Bakersfield State University campus organizations are not exactly top-tier campaign officials.  Second, maybe it does...that sucks, and boo people, but what does that have to do with "the issue"?

(You never did reply to this, by the way, you've just re-asserted your contention that it's a non-issue.)
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #581 on: November 05, 2009, 03:11:52 AM »
« Edited: November 05, 2009, 03:13:41 AM by Mechaman »

So basically, some people who feel strongly about gay marriage are sometimes asses, which you're bringing up because...you believe it's unique to this issue?

And you're presumably bringing up the campus organization's stupid opinion for some reason, unless you're under the impression that stupid opinions are unique to this issue, or that the stupid opinions having been voiced to you somehow make them significant (Huh).  I'm lost on what that was meant to demonstrate.

And it's important that it "overwhelmingly reflects poorly on both sides?  First of all, anyone who thinks such people are the "face of the issue" clearly have had little actual ground-level involvement in "the issue."  With few exceptions, those types are kept away from any position of influence.  Bakersfield State University campus organizations are not exactly top-tier campaign officials.  Second, maybe it does...that sucks, and boo people, but what does that have to do with "the issue"?

(You never did reply to this, by the way, you've just re-asserted your contention that it's a non-issue.)

Hamilton forgets that when it comes to politics quite a few people are total jackasses about their opinions, no matter the issue.
If you gave me 30 minutes (it's 2:12 here, give me some time to get motivated) to google I bet I could come up with a ridiculous overreaction to an insignificant issue.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #582 on: November 05, 2009, 03:15:21 AM »

And you're presumably bringing up the campus organization's stupid opinion for some reason, unless you're under the impression that stupid opinions are unique to this issue, or that the stupid opinions having been voiced to you somehow make them significant (Huh).  I'm lost on what that was meant to demonstrate.

And it's important that it "overwhelmingly reflects poorly on both sides?  First of all, anyone who thinks such people are the "face of the issue" clearly have had little actual ground-level involvement in "the issue."  With few exceptions, those types are kept away from any position of influence.  Bakersfield State University campus organizations are not exactly top-tier campaign officials.  Second, maybe it does...that sucks, and boo people, but what does that have to do with "the issue"?

Hamilton forgets that when it comes to politics quite a few people are total jackasses about their opinions, no matter the issue.
If you gave me 30 minutes (it's 2:12 here, give me some time to get motivated) to google I bet I could come up with a ridiculous overreaction to an insignificant issue.

Like this issue:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_burning#United_States
I mean really.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #583 on: November 05, 2009, 03:15:33 AM »

And you're presumably bringing up the campus organization's stupid opinion for some reason, unless you're under the impression that stupid opinions are unique to this issue, or that the stupid opinions having been voiced to you somehow make them significant (Huh).  I'm lost on what that was meant to demonstrate.

And it's important that it "overwhelmingly reflects poorly on both sides?  First of all, anyone who thinks such people are the "face of the issue" clearly have had little actual ground-level involvement in "the issue."  With few exceptions, those types are kept away from any position of influence.  Bakersfield State University campus organizations are not exactly top-tier campaign officials.  Second, maybe it does...that sucks, and boo people, but what does that have to do with "the issue"?

I didn't feel the need to respond to that at the time, for it would require too much typing from me. As you can tell, I prefer to make very short posts.

My overarching point is that both sides are treating it as if it's the end of the world. It's not. It's nothing. I'm refusing to pick a side as a protest. And I honestly do not care one bit whether marriage is this or that or the other thing. I don't believe in any marriage. I'm not gay, I'm not getting married, I'm not religious, and I don't believe the state has the right to issue marriage licenses to ANYONE. Period. None of the arguments on either side have been particularly convincing.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #584 on: November 05, 2009, 03:18:06 AM »

I'm a jackass about my opinions. I won the "Most Opinionated" award in high school. By landslide, at that. But I don't carry that over in to my campaigning and I certainly don't degrade anyone who disagrees with me reasonably on an issue. It's not just the behavior, it's the attitude, the portrayal of gay marriage as the most prominent issue facing the nation/state/county/city/whatever.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #585 on: November 05, 2009, 03:18:18 AM »

I oppose ending slavery because seriously I heard some of that side's supporters and they compared it to the Holocaust, I don't want to be associated with that.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #586 on: November 05, 2009, 03:19:45 AM »

I oppose ending slavery because seriously I heard some of that side's supporters and they compared it to the Holocaust, I don't want to be associated with that.

That was not at all my argument and you know it. Fake libertarian.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #587 on: November 05, 2009, 03:21:48 AM »

That was not at all my argument and you know it. Fake libertarian.

Lunar claimed to be libertarian Huh When?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #588 on: November 05, 2009, 03:22:32 AM »

Once upon a time I did.  I don't claim to be anything anymore.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #589 on: November 05, 2009, 03:23:01 AM »

LOLwut? When?
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #590 on: November 05, 2009, 03:23:49 AM »

I don't claim to be anything anymore.

Then why do you have a red avatar?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #591 on: November 05, 2009, 03:24:10 AM »

I didn't feel the need to respond to that at the time, for it would require too much typing from me. As you can tell, I prefer to make very short posts.

My overarching point is that both sides are treating it as if it's the end of the world. It's not. It's nothing. I'm refusing to pick a side as a protest. And I honestly do not care one bit whether marriage is this or that or the other thing. I don't believe in any marriage. I'm not gay, I'm not getting married, I'm not religious, and I don't believe the state has the right to issue marriage licenses to ANYONE. Period. None of the arguments on either side have been particularly convincing.

Regardless of your opinion that state's should not be issuing marriage licenses, don't you think that if they are handing it out anyways they should be doing it in an equal fashion?
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #592 on: November 05, 2009, 03:25:55 AM »

Regardless of your opinion that state's should not be issuing marriage licenses, don't you think that if they are handing it out anyways they should be doing it in an equal fashion?

Certainly, but that is a dangerous attitude. It's that thinking which got us wound up in this mess in the first place. Like the great Alexander Hamilton said, when you use the government to confirm your rights to YOU, you only limit them for yourself.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #593 on: November 05, 2009, 03:26:29 AM »

He's just doing it so he can be a Moderate Hero. Then, he can say the Republicans are actually attracting moderates.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #594 on: November 05, 2009, 03:27:08 AM »

He's just doing it so he can be a Moderate Hero. Then, he can say the Republicans are actually attracting moderates.

No, I'm not. And yes, they are.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #595 on: November 05, 2009, 03:28:25 AM »

Certainly, but that is a dangerous attitude. It's that thinking which got us wound up in this mess in the first place. Like the great terrible Alexander Hamilton said, when you use the government to confirm your rights to YOU, you only limit them for yourself.

LOL using a quote from one of our nation's first enthusiastic supporters of a strong central government.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #596 on: November 05, 2009, 03:29:19 AM »

Certainly, but that is a dangerous attitude. It's that thinking which got us wound up in this mess in the first place. Like the great terrible Alexander Hamilton said, when you use the government to confirm your rights to YOU, you only limit them for yourself.

LOL using a quote from one of our nation's first enthusiastic supporters of a strong central government.

Precisely. I am convinced that Roosevelt Republican has no real belief system. He is the GOP Bill Clinton.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #597 on: November 05, 2009, 03:29:34 AM »

I don't claim to be anything anymore.

Then why do you have a red avatar?

I intern at a Democratic consulting company and as thus, am forced to be biased in favor of the candidates whose facebook pages and email accounts and webpages I work with.  I can't root for Dick Durbin to lose if I'm investing some hours helping his online campaign.  I'm secretly still a registered Libertarian but don't consider myself a liberal/moderate/libertarian/anything. Smiley
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #598 on: November 05, 2009, 03:30:13 AM »

A strong central government that was not interfering in individual sovereignty. There is a difference. Hamilton was no authoritarian on social issues by any measure. Just look at how he lived his life. A great man.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #599 on: November 05, 2009, 03:31:48 AM »

Precisely. I am convinced that Roosevelt Republican has no real belief system. He is the GOP Bill Clinton.

I support strong economic management by the federal government. That is well understood by now. I'm a Republican built in the mold of Hamilton, Roosevelt, Coolidge.

I have a strong and stable belief system that is outside the mainstream of current partisan politics.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies