Maine's Question 1
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:10:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Maine's Question 1
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 28
Author Topic: Maine's Question 1  (Read 158047 times)
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #475 on: November 04, 2009, 08:09:26 AM »

Maine, go fuck yourself you regressive bigoted piece of sh**t state. What a worthless dump.

I'm majorly pissed off.

It's alright man. Maybe in 3 more years. It's back to talking to voters for them.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #476 on: November 04, 2009, 08:11:36 AM »

This is almost as good as last year's California: "Keep it straight...YES on 8!"

Cheesy
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #477 on: November 04, 2009, 08:38:44 AM »

so, 47% of Maine is morally retrobate...sad news
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #478 on: November 04, 2009, 08:44:47 AM »

53-47 is good and close.

Not sludging through this whole thread - someone care to repost a link to results?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #479 on: November 04, 2009, 09:29:57 AM »

I for one am very pleased with the result making Tuesday a good day for the Conservative Movement.  We've got a Bible-believing governor in Virginia, NJ I'm not so sure about, and we have a pro-lifer in upstate New York.  Then, the biblical definition of marriage is restored in Maine.
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #480 on: November 04, 2009, 09:38:35 AM »

I for one am very pleased with the result making Tuesday a good day for the Conservative Movement.  We've got a Bible-believing governor in Virginia, NJ I'm not so sure about, and we have a pro-lifer in upstate New York.  Then, the biblical definition of marriage is restored in Maine.

Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #481 on: November 04, 2009, 09:40:39 AM »

I for one am very pleased with the result making Tuesday a good day for the Conservative Movement.  We've got a Bible-believing governor in Virginia, NJ I'm not so sure about, and we have a pro-lifer in upstate New York.  Then, the biblical definition of marriage is restored in Maine.

Owens is pro-life?
ChrisJG777
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -8.00

« Reply #482 on: November 04, 2009, 09:45:53 AM »

This is almost as good as last year's California: "Keep it straight...YES on 8!"

Cheesy
so, 47% of Maine is morally retrobate...sad news

Need I say that the pair of you are utter disgraces, a fact that cannot be overemphasised.

I for one am very pleased with the result making Tuesday a good day for the Conservative Movement.  We've got a Bible-believing governor in Virginia, NJ I'm not so sure about, and we have a pro-lifer in upstate New York.  Then, the biblical definition of marriage is restored in Maine.

My sentiments exactly.

To all the moralfags, religious wingnuts and other bigots, you may have won this round, but in the long run your attempts to impose you "morals" (which themselves are severely questionable) on everyone else is doomed to failure.  The sane people just won't have it.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #483 on: November 04, 2009, 09:48:55 AM »

Mmm, I guess so. The Massachusetts teacher was a sex-ed teacher for what it's worth, plus all the references to sex in the ad might stir up some abstinence-only program supporters to move more into the yes column. Maybe. All of Yes on 1's ads have basically been about mobilizing the base to get out, though. Not targeting swing voters/independents like the no side.

It would appear that the Yes on 1 side chose the correct strategy.  For a single issue campaign such as this, it is almost always more about GOTV than conversion, at least in the short term.  For the long term, the No on 1 side's approach will pay benefits eventually unless the momentum on this issue shifts, which I don't see happening.  The No on 1 side also would likely have done better had this been a general election instead of a special election.  Given how predictable a petition effort to reverse the legislature on this issue was, same-sex marriage proponents would have been tactically wiser to have waited until the upcoming session to pass the law.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #484 on: November 04, 2009, 10:10:52 AM »

So what are the results here?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #485 on: November 04, 2009, 10:11:40 AM »

If Maine rejects this proposition, I'll go L-ME for a week.
That's probably why the yes side won. Wink
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #486 on: November 04, 2009, 10:21:53 AM »

53-47 overall. My plea to bump the link to a result breakdown appears to go unanswered.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #487 on: November 04, 2009, 10:22:54 AM »

Just be patient, history is on our side. It's no big deal in the big picture.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #488 on: November 04, 2009, 10:24:36 AM »

53-47 overall. My plea to bump the link to a result breakdown appears to go unanswered.

And that is in favor of what side?
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #489 on: November 04, 2009, 10:35:27 AM »

Maine is a joke state now

I'm surprised, if this can't pass in Maine... is there any hope for America?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #490 on: November 04, 2009, 10:39:46 AM »

Well, in one of the whitest states in the union, voters rejected gay marriage (minorities are far less favorable to these sorts of things).  But don't worry, gay-lovers, while the battle is ours, the war is inevitably yours.  Young people are the wave of the future, and studies confirm that traditional families are in decline while homosexuals are having the most children.

And BTW, Owens is actually pro-choice.  But he's against gay marriage and against the public option.  Congrats on your victory!

Owens endorsed the House version of the public option [a limited, closed exchange version] in the only televised debate.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #491 on: November 04, 2009, 10:40:12 AM »

For the gay, not in the short term, that's for sure.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #492 on: November 04, 2009, 10:48:49 AM »

You're acting as if Maine is a carbon copy of Massachussets, Vermont or Rhode Island. FWIW, Maine was really liberal in every other Question on the ballot as well.

Suck it Reaganfan, TABOR II went down in flames by 20%, and a tax repeal initiative by 50%. Where's your Hoffman now?
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #493 on: November 04, 2009, 10:49:44 AM »

For the gay, not in the short term, that's for sure.

We can't win in referenda, for certain. The next moves are New York, legislatively post-2010, and possibly NJ in the lame duck session although I don't know what happens there. Then in the middle range, legislatively in Illinois and a repeal in CA on the ballot in 2012 or 2016.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #494 on: November 04, 2009, 10:51:40 AM »

I'm not getting the Maine bashing. I'm sure Mass. would have voted against gay marriage in 2006 if it had gone to the ballot as Romney and Finneran wanted. We don't win popularity contests. Minority rights rarely do. Meanwhile, No on 1 did an amazing job, and Maine's legislature and governor really led on this issue unlike any other state. I'm disappointed but not demoralized or surprised.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #495 on: November 04, 2009, 10:53:01 AM »

If Jari Askins, the Democratic candidate for Governor in Oklahoma, is saying that, I'd hate to think what the Republican is saying.

Also, she's a big old closet-case. I mean, look at her:

Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #496 on: November 04, 2009, 10:58:05 AM »

I'm not getting the Maine bashing. I'm sure Mass. would have voted against gay marriage in 2006 if it had gone to the ballot as Romney and Finneran wanted. We don't win popularity contests. Minority rights rarely do. Meanwhile, No on 1 did an amazing job, and Maine's legislature and governor really led on this issue unlike any other state. I'm disappointed but not demoralized or surprised.

Mmhmm. It's now in people's minds in Maine. I bet it's basically become a given after last night for Democratic officials in Maine to support same-sex marriage now, even if it narrowly lost. Just like what happened in California.

Compared to California, it won't be easy to plot the next step in Maine because Maine actually led a good GOTV operation. I'm guessing 2012 will be the next shot. Fortunately with what I said about the Democrats supporting it now, and Peter Mills probably being the Republican nominee, I'm willing to bet that Maine's next governor would sign the same bill.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #497 on: November 04, 2009, 11:02:54 AM »

We can't win in referenda, for certain. The next moves are New York, legislatively post-2010, and possibly NJ in the lame duck session although I don't know what happens there. Then in the middle range, legislatively in Illinois and a repeal in CA on the ballot in 2012 or 2016.

Now that Corzine lost, I think you can look for a push for gay marriage as a real certainty.  They have the numbers in the Assembly, but the Senate may be tougher with only a 23-17 split, with two of those Democrats representing lean-Republican districts.

Anyway, I hope this means Obama starts feeling REAL pressure to do something about gay rights.  We're moving backwards, not forwards.  And I hope the Maine legislature has the cajones to pass gay marriage again.  Otherwise, I'm taking my torch and pitchfork and taking out 53% of the state.

Honestly, I think Massachusetts would have narrowly supported gay marriage.  It's more than a few percentage points more liberal than Maine, after all.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #498 on: November 04, 2009, 11:04:55 AM »

Honestly, I think Massachusetts would have narrowly supported gay marriage.  It's more than a few percentage points more liberal than Maine, after all.

Massachusetts would have an active anti-gay campaign in the race with at least some strong legislative support and local mayors. The organization wouldn't have been as lopsided. Romney would have stayed around to take a stand on it and we all saw how much integrity Kerry Healey had about bringing her campaign into the sewers.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #499 on: November 04, 2009, 11:22:15 AM »

And that is in favor of what side?
Yes to the referendum, ie no to gay marriage
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 28  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies