Maine's Question 1
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:15:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Maine's Question 1
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 28
Author Topic: Maine's Question 1  (Read 157953 times)
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: October 28, 2009, 05:38:53 PM »

Mary did a great job for the No side... she took the bait for the polygamy rhetoric though. But the Yes debater kinda made a lot of weird gaffes that went in circles... mmyeah.

The most awkward part was when he went on about how the law says that if you disagree with same-sex marriage, you're a bigot, and how in reality, you're not... he went on for like 2 minutes. Yeesh.

My favourite quotes...

Yes:
"There is no separation of church and state in the constitution."
"Does it make me a bigot because I want to protect traditional marriage?"
"Separation of church and state has to do with keeping the state out of religion."
"I'm not a lawyer, and not comfortable talking about legal aspects."
"This radical redefinition of marriage erodes the values and hurts children."

Among others about special interests and how marriage is all about procreation and nothing else, and if this law passes then we won't have another generation.

No:
"If No wins, then there will be an outbreak of happiness. And weddings. And joy."
"Schools need to create environment where ALL children feel comfortable, safe, and respected."
"I don't see how my marriage is going hurt Brian Souche's ability to raise a family."
"In regard to economic benefits, providing equality to everyone is priceless."

Smiley
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #126 on: October 29, 2009, 05:29:56 PM »

Why is Yes on 1 asking university students to vote?

New kos poll on Question 1

No - 48 (+2)
Yes - 47 (-1)
Undecided - 5

New ads!

No on 1
Yes on 1

How nice to see Yes on 1 going back to fear mongering after flirting with positivity in their previous ad. This one is cute... "DON'T BE FOOLED! IT WILL HAPPEN! YOUR LITTLE SON WILL BE TAUGHT ABOUT GAY GAY GAY JUST LIKE IN OTHER STATES! IT WILL HAPPEN!"
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #127 on: October 29, 2009, 08:14:01 PM »

Meh.  This is the same issue that came up when we were deciding whether to dispatch sign-wavers to an intersection by a megachurch/Christian academy.  If the anti-gay people are going to have visibility there, visibility is already established; the wrong people are already being reminded about the election, so at that point it becomes a resource allocation issue.  If you can get better raw numbers than, say, by dispatching volunteers to a small church, it's smart enough.  Plus it gives a sense of social viability in a voting population group inclined toward apathy.

Also, some strategists are morons who think that visibility is inherently good, as if pro-X people are reminded by a "VOTE FOR X" sign and anti-X people don't see the sign or something.  It's always possible that it's that.
East Coast Republican

« Reply #128 on: October 29, 2009, 08:34:46 PM »

What's going on in Maine with the Vote Yes on 1 movement is absolutely disgusting.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #129 on: October 29, 2009, 08:52:23 PM »

I think "Yes" will win in the end. There will be a % of people, who will tell everyone they're voting no, trying to look all gay rights. But in the end, I think there will be some people that at the end of the day, don't feel letting two people of the same sex marry. It didn't pass in California, despite the state's liberalness. If it didn't make it through there, I don't think gay marriage will make it in Maine either.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #130 on: October 29, 2009, 10:52:57 PM »

^ Don't worry, Maine is very homogeneous(96% white, independent, sense of community[biggest city is 62k not counting the metro]), less catholic than California, and the no campaign is running a real campaign. Smiley Not to mention the No side has 8000+ volunteers to GOTV this weekend and on election day, and the Yes side... doesn't.

Maybe you're just underestimating California's liberalness, although we still could've won there last year. But anyway.

What's going on in Maine with the Vote Yes on 1 movement is absolutely disgusting.

You think so?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #131 on: October 30, 2009, 12:19:45 AM »

I think "Yes" will win in the end. There will be a % of people, who will tell everyone they're voting no, trying to look all gay rights. But in the end, I think there will be some people that at the end of the day, don't feel letting two people of the same sex marry. It didn't pass in California, despite the state's liberalness. If it didn't make it through there, I don't think gay marriage will make it in Maine either.

I think you are overstating California's liberalism, especially social liberalism. Southern California is much more populist than it is liberal. Just see how well Bush did there in 2004. But in a year like 2008 with the economy collapsing they swung back to the democrats. The bay area is of course very socially liberal but it only makes up about 20% of the voting population. The central valley is very socially conservative and so is a large chunk of Southern California. It wouldn't be very surprising if states in the northeast or the pacific northwest states would be more receptive to gay marriage than California. The bay area may be the most liberal metro area in the country on the gay marriage issue, but it doesn't matter as much on the larger scale of California politics.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #132 on: October 30, 2009, 09:44:05 AM »

[Oops, I meant to say overestimate in the previous post, not underestimate]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9Ec1m5nH3k

This story was on the news statewide news last night. The yes couple just talks about religious right talking points, and even have their children chime in. And the no couple is just some boring lesbian couple of 24 years with kids. Cute contrast.

GOTV meeting pics:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ndAyv4BjPbk/SunBG3uN_1I/AAAAAAAABAI/H0Qjl02KhkE/s1600-h/Screen+shot+2009-10-29+at+12.13.56+PM.png
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ndAyv4BjPbk/SunA5aGzKiI/AAAAAAAABAA/t1E_jiMbZHA/s1600-h/Screen+shot+2009-10-29+at+12.14.40+PM.png
http://wockner.blogspot.com/2009/10/maine-gay-marriage-battle-update-1.html
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #133 on: October 31, 2009, 09:36:28 AM »
« Edited: October 31, 2009, 09:49:58 AM by Holmes »

Watch these local news stories:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnjuNrA8Nf8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8Y-lpvUVCI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQAcB-RW3lY

Sigh. How sad and annoying. And the Yes campaign has too many signs, in all the same places. Reminds me of McAullife.

eta: In regards to the sign vandalism, this guy thinks the Yes campaign did it to themselves to fire up their base. And that it's a hate crime... what?
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #134 on: October 31, 2009, 08:13:56 PM »

I think you are overstating California's liberalism, especially social liberalism. Southern California is much more populist than it is liberal. Just see how well Bush did there in 2004. But in a year like 2008 with the economy collapsing they swung back to the democrats. The bay area is of course very socially liberal but it only makes up about 20% of the voting population. The central valley is very socially conservative and so is a large chunk of Southern California. It wouldn't be very surprising if states in the northeast or the pacific northwest states would be more receptive to gay marriage than California. The bay area may be the most liberal metro area in the country on the gay marriage issue, but it doesn't matter as much on the larger scale of California politics.

Yeah, California isn't a tree-hugging pot-smoking hippie social liberal state like most people in the US think it is.

Obviously, go NO.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #135 on: October 31, 2009, 08:27:21 PM »

Yeah, California isn't a tree-hugging pot-smoking hippie social liberal state like most people in the US think it is.

Obviously, go NO.

Well some parts of it most certainly are, but not the whole state is. The bay area is the most liberal area in the country and I am not denying this but it is only 20% of the state. The LA area is about as liberal as any typical northern US metro area. On the issue of gay marriage it didn't vote that much differently than the Detroit or Cleveland metro area (and I am obviously including the IE in the LA area). San Diego is similar. On the issue of pot....well in that regard California is very liberal (north and south) but that is more a testament on how conservative the rest of America is on the issue.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #136 on: November 01, 2009, 11:59:35 AM »

LA is a typical metropolitan area, in that the cities vote Democratic and the suburbs Republican. San Diego is somewhat to the right of LA, but a good Democrat can carry it. In the Bay Area, on the other hand, the cities and suburbs both vote Democratic.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #137 on: November 02, 2009, 12:28:56 AM »

PPP has it 51 - 47 for yes. With younger voters support No by only 3%?

What a surprise considering their track for the night.
East Coast Republican

« Reply #138 on: November 02, 2009, 01:42:56 AM »

Their track hasn't been questionable in the past.

With that said, I expect Yes on 1 to pass in Maine.  Another humiliation for human rights.  The day when people realize there is nothing wrong with people of the same sex marrying cannot come fast enough.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #139 on: November 02, 2009, 08:01:57 AM »

I dunno, every other poll has it going the other way, plus the young vote being that closely divided is questionable. And they will show up. Granted, not as much as they did for Obama, obviously.

There's only one more day left to contemplate polls anyway, and you might be happy to know that the No on 1 side has the better GOTV effort. They had 500 canvassers each day this weekend, and thousands of phone bankers, and those same people will show up again for Tuesday to get people to the polls.

When the Yes on 1 side isn't crying about a "possibility" that something will discussed in class, they're busy planting hundreds of signs in the same area and whining to the media that two or three got vandalized.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #140 on: November 03, 2009, 09:04:24 AM »
« Edited: November 03, 2009, 09:30:58 AM by Holmes »

Just anecdotal stuff right now. Weather is good, not raining and sunny in some places. Some volunteers are saying that some polling locations are having record turnout for off-off year elections, mostly in Portland.

Final No on 1 rally part 1, part 2

In Portland. Drew a good crowd for short notice.

Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #141 on: November 03, 2009, 10:44:21 AM »

No, no, no, no, no all the way!
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #142 on: November 03, 2009, 10:49:45 AM »

Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #143 on: November 03, 2009, 01:01:37 PM »

Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #144 on: November 03, 2009, 01:41:51 PM »

http://www.openleft.com/diary/15805/gametime-by-Adam-Bink

Matthew Dunlap now thinks that turnout could reach 50% rather than the 35% he predicted or the 23% of the last off-year elections. I really think PPP was out to lunch here on turnout. That said, incidental reports suggest they were right on everywhere else. It is probably just unfamiliarity with Maine, and the local dynamics.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #145 on: November 03, 2009, 01:44:12 PM »

I'm very much worried about this one.  Terrified, even.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #146 on: November 03, 2009, 01:56:48 PM »

Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #147 on: November 03, 2009, 02:31:49 PM »

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/1109/Turnout_high_in_Maine.html?showall

Turnout high in Maine

Maine Secretary of State Matt Dunlap told me just now that turnout there is far exceeding his projections -- news that would be good news for backers of same-sex marriage.

"We're seeing heavy and very steady turnout," he said, attributing the surprise to the contested vote on a "people's veto" of a same-sex marriage law driving Mainers to the polls.

The city of Bangor -- Maine's third largest, and likely to tilt against repeal -- is projecting turnout over 50%, he said, and local analysts have said that higher turnout would likely favor the marriage law.

"I think we could be over 50%" for the state," Dunlap said. "We originally projected 35%."

The day is "comfortable," he said, by local standards, partly cloudy with weather in the upper 40s. The polls close at 8:00 p.m.
Posted by Ben Smith 01:28 PM
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #148 on: November 03, 2009, 02:36:54 PM »

Awesome. As someone stated earlier, this (and R-71) are the only things that really matter in the long-term so it's good to see it going well.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #149 on: November 03, 2009, 03:31:50 PM »

The early word seems promising here. Good, we'll need a few bright spots tonight.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 28  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies