Good news for Kerry out west
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:00:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Good news for Kerry out west
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Good news for Kerry out west  (Read 2413 times)
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 11, 2004, 03:16:06 PM »

Both the Portland Oregonian and the Seattle Times, the largest newpapers in Oregon and Washington, endorsed Kerry over the weekend. 

What's important here is that both of these papers endorsed Bush in 2000.  So if that contributed to the closeness of those states in 2000, it won't be a factor this year.
Shira

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2004, 03:21:13 PM »

The actual influence is minor, but it is a good sign.
If OR is very close, this can help.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2004, 03:23:40 PM »

I think Oregon and Washington are pretty much wrapped up.  I thought there were in the beginning.  Kerry should focus his attention on the midwest. 
MN-Troy
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2004, 07:04:29 PM »

Both the Portland Oregonian and the Seattle Times, the largest newpapers in Oregon and Washington, endorsed Kerry over the weekend. 

What's important here is that both of these papers endorsed Bush in 2000.  So if that contributed to the closeness of those states in 2000, it won't be a factor this year.

Please don't give that much credit to the Oregonian and the Times that both papers made it possible for Bush to get close to Oregon and Washington in 2000.

Is anyone swayed by a newspaper endorsement?
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2004, 07:15:07 PM »

But they gave you an idea of how people in the NW feel. The Oregonian and the Seattle Times have changed their mind in the last 4 years, and so have thousands of Northwesterners.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2004, 07:29:31 PM »

Newspaper endorsments don't mean as much these days as they use to.  In the old days, it pretty much gave you the idea which way the state is going in the election.  Today, for example) we have Bush's hometown paper backing Kerry, and Kerry's hometown paper backing Bush.  However, Texas is going Republican and Mass is going Democratic.

Personally, I don't believe the media should back anyone since it simply shows their biased slant.  Their job is to report the news, not create or slant it.
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2004, 07:36:45 PM »

Newspaper endorsements have been reduced to political fodder being thrown from both sides of the aisle.  Rarely do they impact national elections anymore.   Though the endorsement of the Des Moines paper did signifigantly help Edwards in Iowa if I remember correctly...
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2004, 07:49:17 PM »

And the endorsment of the Milwaukee paper greatly helped Edwards in WI during the primaries.  Yes, people read papers.  And yes, they often reflect the area.

Not a matter for disscussion anyway.  Kerry loses Oregon and he's ed.   
zachman

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2004, 09:20:28 PM »

Kerry's hometown paper backing Bush. 
Is that the Boston Herald? I'm not sure if they're owned by Murdoch, but their cover style is very similar to the NY Post. They provide a marketable alternative to the Boston Globe.
bushforever
bushwillwin

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2004, 09:50:11 PM »

Still Kerry's appearances have been few and far between out there (besides that big Portland rally) and that's what people will remember.  But still, the upsets occur where the candidates neglect to visit.  Most people who actually vote are smart enough to make up their own minds instead of letting the newspapers do it for them, anyway.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2004, 10:01:52 PM »

Of the 15% of Americans who actually read a newspaper, I'm guessing 90% vote, although anyone who is swayed by a newspaper endorsement needs to do some research. It may help a little, but if Kerry needs a newspaper endorsement to win the NW, thats not a good sign.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2004, 11:00:32 PM »

Of the 15% of Americans who actually read a newspaper, I'm guessing 90% vote, although anyone who is swayed by a newspaper endorsement needs to do some research. It may help a little, but if Kerry needs a newspaper endorsement to win the NW, thats not a good sign.

Gore didn't get either of the major ones last time and still won both states.

Kerry doesn't need them.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2004, 11:21:13 PM »

I have to agree that Kerry doesn't need them. Washington being in play would be a shock to me this year, although Oregon has had pretty close polls for a while. The Oregonian can't hurt, but really it's a matter of whether the Portland vote can neutralize the rest of the state.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2004, 11:36:40 PM »

Kerry's hometown paper backing Bush. 
Is that the Boston Herald? I'm not sure if they're owned by Murdoch, but their cover style is very similar to the NY Post. They provide a marketable alternative to the Boston Globe.

I think he is referring to the Lowell (Sun?) paper.  Kerry ran for congress there.  I haven't seen who the Herald has endoresed if anyone yet.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2004, 12:59:53 AM »

Newspaper endorsments don't mean as much these days as they use to.  In the old days, it pretty much gave you the idea which way the state is going in the election.  Today, for example) we have Bush's hometown paper backing Kerry, and Kerry's hometown paper backing Bush.  However, Texas is going Republican and Mass is going Democratic.

Personally, I don't believe the media should back anyone since it simply shows their biased slant.  Their job is to report the news, not create or slant it.

Yes, but the papers are going to be biased anyway, whether they issue official endorsements or not. So given that, they are better off endorsing candidates so that their readers clearly know their bias, rather than trying to hide it by pretending to be neutral.

Same thing with TV networks. Fox News should officially endorse Bush, and CNN endorse Kerry. Just get it right out in the open so that people know for sure. No ambiguities or farces about pretending to be neutral.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies