A Time For Unity - The Lost Decades - A Tale of a Potential Future (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:44:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  A Time For Unity - The Lost Decades - A Tale of a Potential Future (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A Time For Unity - The Lost Decades - A Tale of a Potential Future  (Read 43095 times)
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« on: August 13, 2009, 05:34:47 PM »

So why haven't the Democrats been unsuccessful at forming some sort of defense against the Progressives in MA? I'd assume that the Progressives would be treated as Nazi pieces of shit among university students, some unions and yuppies. Are there any signs of Democratic violence towards Progressive supporters in colleges?
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 05:50:40 PM »

So why haven't the Democrats been unsuccessful at forming some sort of defense against the Progressives in MA? I'd assume that the Progressives would be treated as Nazi pieces of shit among university students, some unions and yuppies. Are there any signs of Democratic violence towards Progressive supporters in colleges?

They have been trying to. But the legal apparatus is in the hands of the Progressives, and whenever there are fights, the Democrats get 30 days in jail and the Progressive 'Patriots" get community service. And I wouldn't say College students are liberal. They are anti-establishment, but there is a strong constituency there that is left-wing economically, that would like the opportunity to beat up the "teacher's pet" students with impunity, and feels empowered by being part of something bigger than themselves. the Universities were center of support for the Nazis in Germany for exactly those reasons.

I would say the Progressives have little support at Harvard or MIT. But Harvard or MIT students are not exactly popular at less prestigious schools. And there is a strong anti-Ivy league component. See the taxing of endowments.
hmmmm I'd disagree with you on some of this. My experience with college students has led me to believe that the majority of them are somewhat intellectual and would have huge problems with the Progressives for some of their nutjob positions, fascism etc. I'm sure those in frats would join up with them in good large portions. I could see tons of bands activley campaigning against the Progressives in Massachussetts, and a huge anti-Progressive movement among people who could activley influence students.

Basically if my idea of what will be trendy in the future is right(hipster music blows up), then the youth could be mobilized pretty well against the Progressives. I'm going to assume though that because of the terrible economy lots of people's perceptions change and populist thought becomes reasonably popular again among the youth.  Like I said though I could definitley see huge schisms happening at major universities. Some of the worst fighters could be on the Democratic side too.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 06:01:46 PM »

They have been trying to. But the legal apparatus is in the hands of the Progressives, and whenever there are fights, the Democrats get 30 days in jail and the Progressive 'Patriots" get community service. And I wouldn't say College students are liberal. They are anti-establishment, but there is a strong constituency there that is left-wing economically, that would like the opportunity to beat up the "teacher's pet" students with impunity, and feels empowered by being part of something bigger than themselves. the Universities were center of support for the Nazis in Germany for exactly those reasons.

I would say the Progressives have little support at Harvard or MIT. But Harvard or MIT students are not exactly popular at less prestigious schools. And there is a strong anti-Ivy league component. See the taxing of endowments.
hmmmm I'd disagree with you on some of this. My experience with college students has led me to believe that the majority of them are somewhat intellectual and would have huge problems with the Progressives for some of their nutjob positions, fascism etc. I'm sure those in frats would join up with them in good large portions. I could see tons of bands activley campaigning against the Progressives in Massachussetts, and a huge anti-Progressive movement among people who could activley influence students.

Basically if my idea of what will be trendy in the future is right(hipster music blows up), then the youth could be mobilized pretty well against the Progressives. I'm going to assume though that because of the terrible economy lots of people's perceptions change and populist thought becomes reasonably popular again among the youth.  Like I said though I could definitley see huge schisms happening at major universities. Some of the worst fighters could be on the Democratic side too.

Not sure about that. The Progressives could pretty effectively position themselves as anti-establishment, especially with the military bearing down on them.
Yeah but anti-establishment does not equal popular among university students. Do you really think that a huge majority of the youth would be all for 150 hours of community service being mandated on them, a teaching that calls the counter-culture movement terrible(hippie throwback stuff is pretty popular), and the Vietnam War being glorified? I'd doubt it, this stuff would scream fascist and authoritarian to lots of kids in college.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 07:06:42 PM »

Not sure about that. The Progressives could pretty effectively position themselves as anti-establishment, especially with the military bearing down on them.
Yeah but anti-establishment does not equal popular among university students. Do you really think that a huge majority of the youth would be all for 150 hours of community service being mandated on them, a teaching that calls the counter-culture movement terrible(hippie throwback stuff is pretty popular), and the Vietnam War being glorified? I'd doubt it, this stuff would scream fascist and authoritarian to lots of kids in college.

Ah but an organization that tells students at Plymouth State they are as good as students at Harvard, that they are future leaders of the country if they join, and they will piss off the present elite? Part of the student counterculture at elite universities is the view that they could do it better, but that only applies to a minority of politically engaged students who feel they are part of the elite. On rare occasions you get a Barrack Obama who inspires people because they could believe real change might happen.

The entire Progressive attraction is:

1. We have implemented and will implement real change. Care about Universal Health-care? The political system will never allow it to be passed by the Democrats and Republicans, only we can. Care about Global Warming? The political system favors short-term gain over long-term planning, but we can change that. Care about Goldman Sachs controlling our politics? Well we can end that since our party is centrally run and elected officials can't be bribed.

2. We will punish those responsible for the Worlds problems and hold them accountable. Not just change policies, punish.

3. We will win, resistance is futile.

4. We don't care what elitists think of us. Their time is coming to an end.

Its more effective with some students than others. Also by this point the Progressives have overwhelming support from unions, the business community, minority groups(for using deadly force in the war on gangs, which I might go back to later). The other thing to consider is how involved students at Tufts or Harvard are in local politics. Mostly they care about national which is opposing President Pence, and who is about to become the number one enemy of the administration?
hmmm I think you have made me believe that students could be for the Progressives plausibly. Especially if the Blue Dogs in this TL have stopped Universal Healthcare and special interests managed to drive Democratic programs into the ground. I could definitely see the Progressives getting some significant support then. Oh and how do the Progressives treat Gays at this point? I think that could cause problems with them among college students if more and more homophobic stuff within the party comes to light.

Anyways this is a great timeline. I really love Weimar style political styles.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 11:42:44 PM »

Woah shit just hit the fan. So is NRA starting to side with the Progressives?
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 12:18:28 AM »

What is up with the Northwest? I'd assume that this would be the Democrat's strongest region because of the delay in Progressive activity there, the affulence of the Democratic Party, the Bohemian nature of the Left here and with these factors being true without fighting, the Republicans wouldn't be able to make much inroads with Democratic voters.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 10:41:31 PM »
« Edited: May 15, 2010, 10:49:07 PM by War on Want »

Great update. The Progressives are looking more dangerous with each new section. The scary part is that I could see this happening now. It's really troubling to think that this scenario could happen. What are your thoughts on what's happening in the EU?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies