A Time For Unity - The Lost Decades - A Tale of a Potential Future
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:38:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  A Time For Unity - The Lost Decades - A Tale of a Potential Future
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9
Author Topic: A Time For Unity - The Lost Decades - A Tale of a Potential Future  (Read 43056 times)
Historico
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: October 20, 2009, 07:58:37 PM »

I really hope this awesome timeline gets put back online soon Dan, I'm waiting for the Progressives to finally take power.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #151 on: October 20, 2009, 08:21:46 PM »

I forgot about this! We need an update, this timeline is excellent!
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #152 on: October 25, 2009, 04:18:17 PM »

MORE.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #153 on: October 25, 2009, 04:19:08 PM »

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #154 on: November 14, 2009, 03:18:29 AM »

I would love to see this continue.
Captain Chaos
GZ67
United States

« Reply #155 on: November 14, 2009, 03:42:31 PM »

Me too.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #156 on: November 28, 2009, 05:24:09 PM »

Bump.

Please continue this.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #157 on: December 03, 2009, 02:24:24 PM »

Bump.

Please, dan.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #158 on: January 16, 2010, 01:03:28 AM »

Bump

Please... This is the best on the site...

THE MORAL OF THE STORY, CHILDREN, IS DON'T VOTE FOR MARTHA COAKLEY!!
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #159 on: January 16, 2010, 01:57:08 AM »

So much for Martha Coakley ever being President...
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #160 on: January 16, 2010, 07:08:12 AM »

Maybe dan forgot about this, and isn't reading the what if board?  Someone should PM him to ask him about this thread.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #161 on: January 17, 2010, 12:00:03 PM »

Maybe dan forgot about this, and isn't reading the what if board?  Someone should PM him to ask him about this thread.

I tried, but he didn't reply. Sad
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #162 on: January 25, 2010, 12:56:57 AM »

Just sent one. No reply...
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #163 on: January 25, 2010, 06:50:28 PM »

Then we should start spamming threads he posts in, demanding an answer.   Smiley
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #164 on: January 28, 2010, 08:23:59 PM »

I DEMAND AN ANSWER
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #165 on: April 10, 2010, 01:33:24 PM »

Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #166 on: May 15, 2010, 02:56:19 AM »

Sorry for the failure to reply, I have been working two jobs on and off, as well as  doing British election stuff for fivethirtyeight, so I have been a bit delayed. Well that's not the whole excuse, but I apologize if I have not been responding to messages. I do however have a new section 75% complete, and will post it tomorrow after going back through and making sure continuity works. And just to contribute to that, I would like to include the following disclaimer.

(Before continuing it has come to our attention that an error, which almost certainly was not a practical prank, resulted in all references to former President Lisa Madigan referring instead to former Massachusetts Attorney General Martha Coakley. As such, all such references should be disregarded)
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #167 on: May 15, 2010, 11:56:28 AM »

THANK YOU!

You do not know how happy this makes me. I figured this dead. Smiley
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #168 on: May 15, 2010, 10:28:10 PM »

In a sense the fall election campaign was anti-climatic. It was obvious from the beginning, that with Walton polling above 40% and a viable Democrat in the race, that the odds of the Progressives losing the election, at least at the Presidential level, was relatively low. There were some hopes on the part of the Republicans that the Progressives could be kept from an all-out majority in the House, and the non-viability of the Democrats at the local level in large parts of the country added to the that hope. It was noticed that while when local and state governments fell under Progressive control they rarely turned back, the same did not necessarily apply to the party’s federal representatives, of whom a mere 73 had won with over 50% of the vote in 2022.

As for the Democrats, Clinton campaigned aggressively, especially given her age, and picked up a number of votes of those who disliked the politics of the last decade and blamed both the Republicans and the Progressives for the state of low-level civil war into which the nation was descending.  By the end of September, some polls showed her even or even ahead of Ayotte who was doubly compromised by her ties with the past Administration, and by repetitiveness that came with her claims that only she could win. Voters had heard that one time too many.

On September 12th, the polls showed a dead heat for third with Walton substantially ahead, perhaps the best case for the Progressives given their inability to pass the low 40s.

Walton 39%
Clinton 24%
Ayotte 21%

In a way the even split undermined the efforts of the either party to consolidate the anti- Progressive vote, and therefore even when the Progressives stumbled, as they did when Walton suggested at the September 23rd debate that the due to the fact that the Earth’s limited resources would not support a first world life-style for the entire parent, it was the duty of the US to approach the world economy as a zero-sum game, the message became muddled.

The Progressives for their part, accused Clinton of being connected her husband’s signing of NAFTA, alienation of Russia, and the beginnings of the sequence of events that ended in the present crisis with the Caliphate in Middle East. They in turn accused the Republicans of following a foreign policy in rhetoric that they could not support through force, and were in turn forcing the American people to pay the price. Ayotte attempted to jump on this at the second debate:

Kelly Ayotte: We have no desire to have a confrontation with anyone. But our policy has been, and continues to be that we have obligations. We have made our position on relations with the caliphate clear – we are dedicated to an alliance with Israel, we are also dedicated to upholding a system of values that includes the inviolability of private property, and we are dedicated to rights for woman, minorities, and the democratic rights of people struggling under oppressive governments. None of those are worth compromising, either in pursuit of false friends, as the Democrats advocate, or for thirty gallons of crude, as the honorable Senator from Massachusetts would be happy to sell them.

Walton: The charge that we do not care about Democracy or Israel is absurd. But what we care about most is the interest of the United States, and central to those is a policy that recognizes our actual position in the world. Goals must be proportionate to resources, and the President can demand all they want that the Caliph abdicate in favor of free elections, restore property to oil companies, and embrace Israel, but without sufficient resources, the only response in Mecca will be laughter. Are we willing to use force?

Ayotte: We are working with the UN Security Council as well as other nations to impose sanctions…

Walton: I thought so. Any real effective policy against the caliphate would need the support of China, but we have alienated them over Taiwan, which could be dealt with if we had the support of Europe, who we have also alienated by condemning their immigration policies. We have a government that has followed a foreign policy of demanding everything, and accomplishing nothing – nothing that is but 20 trillion of debt and 14 dollar a gallon gasoline.

Clinton: And your policy would be what? Bow down to their demands, abandon Israel, abandon Taiwan?

Walton: No I would secure our own resources. That does not mean selling off our energy reserves for nothing to companies that sell them abroad. The greatest oil reserves in the world lie in the Western Hemisphere, in the Arctic, and we have made no effort to secure them. We laid down our treasure for a century to keep the Russians out, yet we have never taken payment from anyone else for doing so.

Clinton: So you would offend our allies. Canada of all places.

Moderator: Please back to the question.

The Republicans and Democrats both began an aggressive campaign of portraying the Progressives as dangerous isolationists, while simultaneously suggesting the Progressives would be so aggressive internationally they might invade Canada. That the two messages seemed mutually contradictory did not seem apparent until it was too late. Instead the Progressives returned to their discussion of creating a sovereign wealth fund based off domestic energy reserves while turning the campaign into a referendum on the Republican Party’s Forign policy. By late October, any surge in Democratic support had stalled.
October 19th

Walton 41%
Ayotte 25%
Clinton 21%
Undecided 13%

If two candidates
Walton 44%
Ayotee 39%
Undecided 17%

Walton 43%
Clinton 37%
Undecided 21%
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #169 on: May 15, 2010, 10:41:31 PM »
« Edited: May 15, 2010, 10:49:07 PM by War on Want »

Great update. The Progressives are looking more dangerous with each new section. The scary part is that I could see this happening now. It's really troubling to think that this scenario could happen. What are your thoughts on what's happening in the EU?
Historico
United States

« Reply #170 on: May 17, 2010, 01:20:22 PM »

It is so freakin awesome to see this TL back on its feet!!!Keep it comming Dan
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #171 on: May 18, 2010, 07:03:21 PM »

Great to see this timeline going again.  Two quick questions:

1) How did the current US mission in Afghanistan ultimately end?

2) Did Iran ever end up getting nukes?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #172 on: May 30, 2010, 01:52:25 AM »

Bump.

Please continue.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States