Alaska Borough Results - 2008
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 05:06:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Alaska Borough Results - 2008
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Alaska Borough Results - 2008  (Read 7840 times)
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 11, 2009, 04:06:40 AM »

I'm sure this subject has already been addressed on the forum (but I'm too lazy to go back and find out) but in case it hasn't, here goes.

Does anyone have the data/results from the Alaska boroughs? I've noticed on Dave's site that he doesn't have a map up with the results by county like he does in every other state (yes, I know, Alaska doesn't have counties but they do have boroughs) so I was just wondering if anyone had the data from the boroughs?

If you go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election_in_Alaska,_2008 you will see a map colored in where the boroughs are colored by who won them (red for McCain, blue for Obama). I took the liberty of finding out the names of the borough and I've listed which ones McCain won compared to the ones won by Obama below. If anyone has or knows where I can go to get the data, it would be greatly appreciated. Smiley

Boroughs Won by McCain
*Aleutians East
*Anchorage
*Bristol Bay
*Denali
*Fairbanks North Star
*Haines
*Kenai Peninsula
*Ketchikan Gateway
*Kodiak Island
*Lake and Peninsula
*Matanuska-Susitna
*North Slope
*Northwest Arctic
*Wrangell
*Unorganized Borough (by census areas: Aleutians West, Dillingham, Prince of Wales-Hyder, Southeast Fairbanks, Valdez-Cordova, Yukon Koyukuk). McCain won the Unorganized Borough At Large.

Boroughs Won by Obama
*Juneau
*Sitka
*Skagway
*Yakutat
*Unorganized Borough (by census areas: Bethel, Nome, Hoonah-Angoon, Wade Hampton, Petersburg).
Lephead
Rookie
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 12:20:44 PM »

This is where you can find Alaska's results.
http://www.elections.alaska.gov/08general/

They're by precinct though.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 12:37:06 PM »

Gee. Anchorage is pretty conservative for a big city. I am guessing that it's just an overgrown oil town?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 12:41:09 PM »

2004:
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=34547.0

2008:
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=88046.0

5th post.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 06:29:18 AM »

Boroughs Won by Obama
*Juneau
*Sitka
*Skagway
*Yakutat
*Unorganized Borough (by census areas: Bethel, Nome, Hoonah-Angoon, Wade Hampton, Petersburg).
Certainly not.

Wrangell-Petersburg census area pre-incorporation of Wrangell Borough (an event I overlooked in calculating the results, unlike that of Skagway a couple of months earlier) had four precincts:

Wrangell, 599 R, 231 D, other 23
Petersburg/Kupreanof, 675 R, 465 D, other 39
Kake, 86 R, 84 D, other 8
Port Alexander, 12 D, 11 R, other 1

Assuming Wrangell borough to be identical with Wrangell precinct (which I didn't doublecheck but seems a fairly safe assumption), McCain won Petersburg Census Area 55.9-40.6 and Wrangell Borough 70.2-27.1.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 01:44:18 PM »

Gee. Anchorage is pretty conservative for a big city. I am guessing that it's just an overgrown oil town?

You can't survive in poverty in AK, period. No government leeches allowed. Of course they would vote more conservative.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 02:47:42 PM »

You can't survive in poverty in AK, period. No government leeches allowed. Of course they would vote more conservative.

Lol. Everyone in Alaska is a "government leech".

Here is a map of the 2008 results by election district of the Anchorage area. (Obama vs. McCain)

As you can see, the more urban areas near downtown vote Democratic, while the more suburban areas vote Republican. Anchorage is still a relatively small, predominately suburban city. By numbers alone, the 10+ suburban election districts (all EDs in the Anchorage area have relatively similar populations) dwarf the 4 urban districts.

Note that in the Begich vs. Stevens race, Begich won 10 of the 14 EDs in or near Anchorage.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 04:38:58 PM »

Here is a map of the 2008 results by election district of the Anchorage area. (Obama vs. McCain)

As you can see, the more urban areas near downtown vote Democratic, while the more suburban areas vote Republican. Anchorage is still a relatively small, predominately suburban city. By numbers alone, the 10+ suburban election districts (all EDs in the Anchorage area have relatively similar populations) dwarf the 4 urban districts.

Well duh, they're state house districts. They had the same population in 2000, of course they're mostly still the same size.

Note that the official city of Anchorage is not just the cluster of very small seats. The biggish one north of that (which is almost entirely two military bases) and the tiny one beyond that (really the suburb of Eagle River) are entirely within the city too. Of the two large ones beyond, the northern one is about 50% within the town and the southern one almost entirely so as far as population goes. This district is also now quite oversized as it includes lots of spanking new subdivisions that didn't exist in 2000. The eastern line of the two is the official eastern border of the city - of course its eastern half is largely uninhabited.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009, 04:56:16 PM »

Alaska, where the most federal money per capita is spent, and where every resident gets a yearly check from oil profits. Yes, no government leeches there.
Lephead
Rookie
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2009, 05:45:25 PM »

The most interesting thing I found about Anchorage was that the Rep vote dropped 1,000 in 2008 76750 v 77717, while the Dem vote increased 7,000 in 2008 - 55278 v 48117.  Some absentee vote estimating here.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies