How directly involved was Nixon in the Watergate scandal?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:56:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  How directly involved was Nixon in the Watergate scandal?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How directly involved was Nixon in the Watergate scandal?  (Read 1817 times)
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 04, 2009, 05:41:29 PM »

Lately I've taken an interest in the Watergate scandal and as I have looked into it it is not clear to me how involved he was. From what I can gather, many of the accusations made about him that weren't directly related to Watergate were false, including charges of corruption and the like. However, I cannot figure out how involved he was. Did he know there was criminal activity, did he order it, did he order the CIA to disrupt FBI investigations into it? Obviously he was involved in the scandal, but how directly was he? What did he explicitly know about and what was he not aware of?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 05:44:04 PM »

I think he was far more involved with the cover up than with the break in... which is more damning, in a way.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 05:52:47 PM »

I've been told, by a pretty good source, what the break in was actually about.

Basically, John Dean's wife was a very high priced Washington call girl.  They figured that the Democrats must have had this information, but wanted to know if they had intended to use it.  So they broke in to bug the phones and see if there were any documents.

Of course, Dean stabbed them in the back, and turned in the rest of the Administration on the condition that the reasons for the break in would not be revealed.  As any revelation of the reasons for the break in would be admitting foreknowledge, no one in the Nixon Administration ever talked.

I am about 80% certain this story is true.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 06:29:40 PM »

Basically, John Dean's wife was a very high priced Washington call girl.  They figured that the Democrats must have had this information, but wanted to know if they had intended to use it.  So they broke in to bug the phones and see if there were any documents.

Of course, Dean stabbed them in the back, and turned in the rest of the Administration on the condition that the reasons for the break in would not be revealed.  As any revelation of the reasons for the break in would be admitting foreknowledge, no one in the Nixon Administration ever talked.

You do know that the Dean's sued and the publishers settled from those allegations?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 10:48:35 PM »

You do know that the Dean's sued and the publishers settled from those allegations?

I was unaware of that.  I got my information from a really good source, who got there's from a really good source... as in someone who was in the White House.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies