Question about New Hampshire
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 11:47:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Question about New Hampshire
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Question about New Hampshire  (Read 1898 times)
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 04, 2009, 09:53:06 AM »

Is Paul Hodes facing any kind of serious challenge for Gregg's Senate in 2010?  I seem to remember that Gregg said he would not seek re-election, then decided to run again, and then backed off.  Is he running?  If not, is there anyone who can beat Hodes? 
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 10:13:56 AM »

Is Paul Hodes facing any kind of serious challenge for Gregg's Senate in 2010?  I seem to remember that Gregg said he would not seek re-election, then decided to run again, and then backed off.  Is he running?  If not, is there anyone who can beat Hodes? 

For the GOP, it's NH Attorney General Kelly Ayotte (R) or bust. She's already resigned, and all engines are go regarding a bid—the NRSC has already announced a September fundraiser for her. She's top tier, and her simply being in the race says something about how Republicans are viewing 2010, at least behind the scenes.

Nothing against Charlie Bass, but Ayotte is just the kind of candidate the GOP needs in New Hampshire.

This is certainly not a "safe Hodes" seat by any means.  Probably toss-up at this point, and given the direction of Obama's numbers, it could be lean Republican by the start of the new year.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 10:17:43 AM »

For the GOP, it's NH Attorney General Kelly Ayotte (R) or bust. She's already resigned, and all engines are go regarding a bid—the NRSC has already announced a September fundraiser for her. She's top tier, and her simply being in the race says something about how Republicans are viewing 2010, at least behind the scenes.

Nothing against Charlie Bass, but Ayotte is just the kind of candidate the GOP needs in New Hampshire.

This is certainly not a "safe Hodes" seat by any means.  Probably toss-up at this point, and given the direction of Obama's numbers, it could be lean Republican by the start of the new year.

Thanks Mr. Mod.  A neighbor of mine was giving me what I suspected was some really bad information.  And it was.  (He seemed to feel Bob Smith was going "to mount a major comeback" bid.)  I sorta thought it might be Bass but I looked up Ayotte after your post.  Yeah...it looks like it'll be her. I have kind of mixed feelings, since I really liked Gregg for a Republican.  This will be a fun one to watch!
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 10:20:04 AM »

Thanks Mr. Mod.  A neighbor of mine was giving me what I suspected was some really bad information.  And it was.  (He seemed to feel Bob Smith was going "to mount a major comeback" bid.)  I sorta thought it might be Bass but I looked up Ayotte after your post.  Yeah...it looks like it'll be her. I have kind of mixed feelings, since I really liked Gregg for a Republican.  This will be a fun one to watch!

Oh, your neighbor is right—former Sen. Bob Smith is mounting a major comeback bid running for the U.S. Senate in 2010.

Unfortunately for him...

Running for Senate: You're doing it wrong.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 11:39:01 AM »

Oh, your neighbor is right—former Sen. Bob Smith is mounting a major comeback bid running for the U.S. Senate in 2010.

Unfortunately for him...

Running for Senate: You're doing it wrong.

OMG.  Okay -- I feel better now. 

I guess.  :/
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 03:37:03 PM »

Mr. Moderate seems to know NH, so...

What's going to happen to Hodes' House seat?
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 06:34:56 PM »

I two am interested in knowing more about that as well. Republicans should at least mount some kind of effort.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 11:06:40 PM »

According to CQ's big map, there is a crowded Democratic field with little action so far on the GOP side.  The district has a distinct Democratic and Democrats have done well there as of late, however Republicans aren't all that far removed from this seat either so I'm kinda surprised there doesn't seem to be more interest on their side especially since this is an open seat.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 12:07:14 AM »

Ayotte is still looking to have a primary from what's her name, Ovidie or something, a former GOP governor candidate, while Hodes seems to have a straight shot
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 01:10:23 AM »
« Edited: August 05, 2009, 01:12:15 AM by Ronnie »

Ayotte is still looking to have a primary from what's her name, Ovidie or something, a former GOP governor candidate, while Hodes seems to have a straight shot

But look at how much she lost by!

https://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/state.php?year=1996&fips=33&f=1&off=5&elect=0

I doubt she will be serious.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 01:14:15 AM »

She could force Ayotte to the right.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009, 01:17:12 AM »

What's wrong with that?

She would just have to move back to the center in the GE.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2009, 04:07:29 AM »

But look at how much she lost by!

https://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/state.php?year=1996&fips=33&f=1&off=5&elect=0

I doubt she will be serious.

For the record, Ovide Lamontagne, is a French name. And a men, too, stop refering to him with ''She''.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2009, 09:16:42 AM »

Probably from Coos County.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2009, 10:29:47 AM »

What's wrong with that?

Ayotte is popular because she's never run a partisan campaign before (AG is a non-partisan post). Having to engage in partisan, conservative politics will tarnish that rep, at least a little bit. (Although I don't think she'll have to break a sweat to beat Lamontagne.)
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2009, 11:16:56 AM »

What's wrong with that?

Ayotte is popular because she's never run a partisan campaign before (AG is a non-partisan post). Having to engage in partisan, conservative politics will tarnish that rep, at least a little bit. (Although I don't think she'll have to break a sweat to beat Lamontagne.)

Well then, this will be a new experience for her.  She has to be at least somewhat partisan in the GE.

It's likely that if she is elected, she would be just like Judd Gregg anyway.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2009, 12:22:31 PM »

Supposedly, with Ayotte in the Senate race, Charlie Bass is now rather likely to run for his old seat.  We'll see.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies