School Standards Reform Bill (Law'd)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 12:10:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  School Standards Reform Bill (Law'd)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: School Standards Reform Bill (Law'd)  (Read 15235 times)
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2009, 11:05:06 PM »

Okay, I missed than this is at least three sciences courses and at least three of those sciences courses must be lab intensive. No problem, then.

We need to definite ''lab intensive'', though.

Write something up and I'll be happy to accept it as friendly.

Well, I don't know about the fraction. Is 25% of labs is good?

That sounds about right. The lab course should last the equivalent of 25% of the science course. But it would be one course 100% science, with a supplemental lab course that is one quarter as long. So if you had 4 hours of science, you would also have 1 hour of lab.

The labs should not be decounted for the science hours, but added, then?

Well, technically they would be part of the science course. I just reread the language in the bill. So perhaps you can introduce an amendment to the definitions section that defines "lab intensive" as consisting of one quarter (25%) of the science course taught through hands-on laboratory experience.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2009, 11:16:01 PM »
« Edited: August 03, 2009, 11:24:36 PM by Senator MaxQue »

Clause 4 is added to section 1.

Section 1, Clause 4 will read as it follows:

4. “Lab intensive course” shall refer to a science course in which at least 25% of the course's class time is taught through hands-on experimentation.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2009, 11:21:54 PM »

4. “Lab intensive course” shall refer to a science course in which at least 25% of the course is taught through hands-on experimentation.

What does that mean? 25% of class time? 25% of the grade? Is homework included?

I don't think that is really enforceable to be honest.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2009, 11:26:03 PM »

4. “Lab intensive course” shall refer to a science course in which at least 25% of the course is taught through hands-on experimentation.

I would imagine he means 25% of the curriculum. I support more hands-on projects, so I'm in full support of such an amendment.

As for the rest of the bill, I made some remarks about the last bill, the first bill I ever commented on as a Senator, so I hope that such worries are taken into account. (No mandatory PE, not over-working kids, etc.)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2009, 11:28:37 PM »

Class time, I fixed the amendment. Homework is obviously not included. That is enforceable, by supposing than school boards and schools apply the law. Experimentation is not a precise word for a reason.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2009, 11:40:40 AM »

Wait, high schools will have to offer at least two foreign languages? That can be really impractical for smaller schools. For example, my cousin's high school in rural south Georgia has literally fifteen teachers; I doubt schools like that one could really afford to have two language teachers on staff.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2009, 11:43:25 AM »

I oppose the bill on the grounds that each region is perfectly capable of handling education
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2009, 11:58:29 AM »

I will accept MaxQue's amendment as friendly.

Wait, high schools will have to offer at least two foreign languages? That can be really impractical for smaller schools. For example, my cousin's high school in rural south Georgia has literally fifteen teachers; I doubt schools like that one could really afford to have two language teachers on staff.

If you write up language that would provide exemptions to specific schools, I will be happy to introduce and accept the amendment.

I would imagine he means 25% of the curriculum. I support more hands-on projects, so I'm in full support of such an amendment.

As for the rest of the bill, I made some remarks about the last bill, the first bill I ever commented on as a Senator, so I hope that such worries are taken into account. (No mandatory PE, not over-working kids, etc.)

I already removed the PE segments of the last bill, so nothing to worry about there, and I don't believe this would be overworking students at all. As someone who went to a private school that had a dual curriculum of Secular an Judaic Studies, starting at 8am and ending at 5pm, taking both Spanish and Hebrew languages for three years, plus extracurriculars and homework, I'm not worried that setting these standards will be a problem for our youth.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2009, 12:43:51 PM »
« Edited: August 04, 2009, 12:47:13 PM by Senator Fritz »

I propose this amendment:

Section 4, clause 4:  All high schools shall be required to offer elective courses in the arts, including music, drama, and painting.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2009, 02:14:52 PM »

Is it safe to assume that, as of now, the current Atlasian school year is based on the agrarian cycle?  If so, will anything be done to bring it into the 21st century?  I doubt we really need to have a two to two-and-a-half month-long summer break (originally set up so kids would have sufficient time to go back and help their parents with the crops) when our society is now primarily urban/suburban. 

Is it possible we can have that shortened as part of this reform package? 
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2009, 02:15:36 PM »

Oh God no
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2009, 02:49:25 PM »

Is it safe to assume that, as of now, the current Atlasian school year is based on the agrarian cycle?  If so, will anything be done to bring it into the 21st century?  I doubt we really need to have a two to two-and-a-half month-long summer break (originally set up so kids would have sufficient time to go back and help their parents with the crops) when our society is now primarily urban/suburban. 

Is it possible we can have that shortened as part of this reform package? 

Didn't think of this. Should definitely make it's way into the bill.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2009, 02:58:41 PM »

Shortening the school year would put pressure on childcare provision and have a very...'unpredictable' effect on the economy. Besides, it is a detriment to our rural communities to simply assume they'd be happy with radical changes.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2009, 03:10:23 PM »

I propose an amendment.

Section 4 is amended to read (changes bolded)

Section 4: High School Reforms
1.   All public high school students must complete, between 9th and 12th grade, at least four courses in mathematics, four courses in English, three courses in a single foreign language, two courses in the social sciences, one course in Atlasian history, one course in World History, one course in Civics and Atlasian Government, three courses of science with at least three of said courses lab intensive, in addition to four elective courses.
2.   All public high schools must offer classes on mathematics, chemistry, biology, physics, English, Atlasian history, world history, and at least (but not limited to) one foreign language sufficient in number to allow students to complete the above requirements.
3. All public high schools with a student body greater than 600 that offer at least 3 advanced courses (Advanced Placement, Running Start and International Baccalaureate are acceptable) shall receive up to 30% the total cost of such programs split evenly between the governing region and federal government.
4. All high schools shall be required to offer elective courses in the arts, including music, drama, and painting.

I am not sure if this could make its way into this somehow, but concerning humanities, here is a possible schema:

9th grade: [social science credit]
10th grade: Atlasian History and Civics (I am willing to have Civics be only .5 credit for only one half of the year, like in Ontario)
11th grade: World History
12th grade: [social science credit]

Which gives 2 social sciences 'free spots' credits, 1 Atl. History, 1 World History and 1 or .5 civics.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2009, 03:10:50 PM »

Not shortening. Year-round schools like what is seen in many Los Angeles schools. It's provides a much better schedule for learning, as well as more sporadic breaks for vacations rather than one clump of heat. It works better for everyone.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2009, 03:20:39 PM »

Not shortening. Year-round schools like what is seen in many Los Angeles schools. It's provides a much better schedule for learning, as well as more sporadic breaks for vacations rather than one clump of heat. It works better for everyone.

I can live with this.

I have been googling 'year-round learning', and found a site that includes a comparison between the school schedules of a traditional calendar vs. a year-round calendar.

I liked what I saw.

afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2009, 03:27:21 PM »

That's what I was pressing; I had hoped the idea was to restructure the school year rather than cut holiday time. 
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2009, 03:29:27 PM »

That's what I was pressing; I had hoped the idea was to restructure the school year rather than cut holiday time. 

This is something I believe will benefit all parties involved and I think the Senate needs to make it a priority, hopefully it will be worked into this bill. Our children's education should always be a concern, and year round schooling has shown to provide a better education.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2009, 03:43:39 PM »

The Dirty South will do whatever it takes to make sure that our school systems are still allowed the summer vacation that we desperatley need.  Many of our schools are not air-conditioned and trying to brave our brutually hot summers in them is not conductive to learning at all.  We also have a large agrigrian portion of our population which can use the help of children in the fields.  Students also will be deprived of the oppurtunity to have a summer job and other real world experience.

BTW, the senate even have the authority to regulate when school years have to occur?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2009, 03:46:32 PM »

Many of our schools are not air-conditioned and trying to brave our brutually hot summers in them is not conductive to learning at all. 

lol Way to go, South. Be proud!
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2009, 03:50:22 PM »

Upon further reading, the entire bill seems unconstitutional.  There is nothing in the constitution that gives the senate the power to regulate education at all
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2009, 03:54:45 PM »

Upon further reading, the entire bill seems unconstitutional.  There is nothing in the constitution that gives the senate the power to regulate education at all

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Also it could be argued that a variety of other clauses for public health and commerce fall into education as well, given that it educates our citizens for the future good of the country. But Clause 15 is quite clear.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2009, 03:54:54 PM »

Then let's have the Senate create and fund school building standards to retrofit all schools and mandate for new schools, allowing all children access to the facilities they need.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2009, 05:13:47 PM »

Wait a minute, why not let the local communities decide which calendar is best for them. Every area is different and as such they should be allowed to make decisions based on the needs of the there community. There is no need or justification for setting a nationwide mandate on this. I thought we were going to keep this bill focused on academic curriculum? If any language is put into this bill mandating the adoption of a year-round calendar or any other calendar, then I am affraid I will have to vote against the whole bill.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2009, 05:14:35 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Also it could be argued that a variety of other clauses for public health and commerce fall into education as well, given that it educates our citizens for the future good of the country. But Clause 15 is quite clear.
Somehow I missed that Tongue, it says that the federal government can "provide education" but nowhere does it say it may regulate that education to the point where it can control when school is in session.  I urge all senators to vote against some amendment and I would definitley bring such thing to court which could jeopardize the whole bill.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies