Research 2000 poll: Only 42% of Republicans believe Obama was born in the US
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:02:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Research 2000 poll: Only 42% of Republicans believe Obama was born in the US
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Research 2000 poll: Only 42% of Republicans believe Obama was born in the US  (Read 5395 times)
DariusNJ

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 31, 2009, 06:04:01 PM »

Do you believe that Barack Obama was born in the United States of America or not?

Yes      77
No       11
Not sure 12

Yes/No/Not sure
Dem       93/4/3
Rep       42/28/30
Ind       83/8/9

Northeast 93/4/3
South     47/23/30
Midwest   90/6/4
West      87/7/6

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2009/7/31/760087/-Birthers-are-mostly-Republican-and-Southern

To me, that shows how much influence the far right wing has over the Republican Party, and it shows that a moderate Republican, who would do well in a general election, would have a difficult time getting past the Republican primaries.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 06:06:42 PM »
« Edited: July 31, 2009, 06:08:51 PM by Old Europe »

And only 47% of Southerners... making it the only region of the U.S. with a number below 85%.

Was this poll manipulated to make Southerners look dumb?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 06:08:05 PM »

What do you expect from people who idolize former DJs.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 06:15:23 PM »

I find that hard to believe.  Most of the Republicans I talk to think he was, but I'm not in the South
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 06:18:11 PM »

And only 47% of Southerners... making it the only region of the U.S. with a number below 85%.

Was this poll manipulated to make Southerners look dumb?

Actually I'd say the "Southerners" statistics is the more relevant one.  If the effect were merely:

Republicans->Birthers

The rate of birthers would be higher in the Midwest, where Republicans are outnumbered but are not endangered-species territory, and in the "West", which includes the Mountain West as well as the Pacific Coast.  Instead, the effect seems to be more along the lines of:

Southerners->Republicans
Southerners->Birthers

(or, perhaps, Southerners+Republicans->Birthers)
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 06:50:03 PM »

I wonder what the numbers are amongst white Southerners.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 07:13:48 PM »

My parents don't think he is. They make a pretty good arguement, but it probably is just some rumor they heard, as there have been a lot of intelligent people who looked into this, and most of them think he's a citizen.
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 07:16:00 PM »

My parents don't think he is. They make a pretty good arguement
...what?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009, 07:17:15 PM »

I find that hard to believe.  Most of the Republicans I talk to think he was, but I'm not in the South

As the poll suggests, most Republicans outside of the South probably do think he was born in the US (maybe 75% or so). But Southern Republicans overwhelmingly believe he was not born in the US or are "unsure".
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009, 07:18:53 PM »

My parents don't think he is. They make a pretty good arguement, but it probably is just some rumor they heard, as there have been a lot of intelligent people who looked into this, and most of them think he's a citizen.

Are your parents racist psychopaths??
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2009, 07:20:18 PM »

They're not racist.
Psychopaths, maybe.
They think he's a Muslim, and that he was born in Kenya. Everytime my Dad gets a chance, he'll give a 5 minute speech to someone about why Obama wasn't born in America.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2009, 07:55:37 PM »

As the poll suggests, most Republicans outside of the South probably do think he was born in the US (maybe 75% or so). But Southern Republicans overwhelmingly believe he was not born in the US or are "unsure".
Yeah Republicans in the South are pretty notoriously stupid and populist on issues, especially when relating to race. I think this poll accurately shows how much of a grip the South has on the Republicans presently.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2009, 08:08:56 PM »

Yeah Republicans in the South are pretty notoriously stupid and populist on issues, especially when relating to race. I think this poll accurately shows how much of a grip the South has on the Republicans presently.

Well, the South was by far the biggest demographic group polled (looking at the regional demographic categories).
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2009, 08:55:26 PM »

Well, the South was by far the biggest demographic group polled (looking at the regional demographic categories).
hmmm well that would account for why a majority of the GOP believes Obama wasn't born in the USA. I would say that number would be 60-40 the opposite way.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2009, 09:27:46 PM »

The facts are too liberally biased for Republicans.

Also, last I checked the Panama Canal zone is no longer part of the United States.
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2009, 09:51:07 PM »
« Edited: July 31, 2009, 09:57:19 PM by The Vorlon »

You know you're in ****** when the locals are convinced the moon landings are fake, but that professional wrestling is real.

**** = name of southern state you wish to pick on.

But seriiously....

MOE = 2% suggesting a sample of +/- 1600 or means just 400 or so for the regional subsamples.

When you stratify an entire sample often the subsamples get waaaaaay distorted.
I like to see a proper poll done on this one before I jump to any conclusions.

Didn't the DailyKOS tracking polll have Obama winning 47 states or something?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2009, 10:17:26 PM »

They're not racist.
Psychopaths, maybe.
They think he's a Muslim, and that he was born in Kenya. Everytime my Dad gets a chance, he'll give a 5 minute speech to someone about why Obama wasn't born in America.

There is simply no way to make a good argument as to that.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2009, 10:35:03 PM »

They're not racist.
Psychopaths, maybe.

I'd be interested what he might have to say if told that the two competing newspapers in Hawaii at the time both had birth announcements for him:

http://whatreallyhappened.com/IMAGES/obama-1961-birth-announcement-from-honolulu-advertiser0000.gif
http://whatreallyhappened.com/IMAGES/ObamaBirthStarBulletin.jpg
DariusNJ

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2009, 10:57:28 PM »

Didn't the DailyKOS tracking polll have Obama winning 47 states or something?

Not that I'm aware of. I think Research 2000 is actually a republican leaning pollster.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2009, 03:54:30 AM »

They're not racist.
Psychopaths, maybe.

I'd be interested what he might have to say if told that the two competing newspapers in Hawaii at the time both had birth announcements for him:

http://whatreallyhappened.com/IMAGES/obama-1961-birth-announcement-from-honolulu-advertiser0000.gif
http://whatreallyhappened.com/IMAGES/ObamaBirthStarBulletin.jpg

It's fake evidence planted by the communist invaders!!!1 [/sarcasm]
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2009, 04:37:10 AM »

I guess for people like that it comes down to something like this:

Barack Obama is black. Also, his middle name is "Hussein" and he went to school Indonesia, which means he's an Arab (since Indonesia is an Arab country). And Arabs were responsible for 9/11. So, Barack Obama can't possibly be a real American. He's something different, something un-American, something alien, therefore maybe even something dangerous.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2009, 04:45:32 AM »

What the FUUUUUUUUUU............
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2009, 04:51:47 AM »

I guess for people like that it comes down to something like this:

Barack Obama is black. Also, his middle name is "Hussein" and he went to school Indonesia, which means he's an Arab (since Indonesia is an Arab country). And Arabs were responsible for 9/11. So, Barack Obama can't possibly be a real American. He's something different, something un-American, something alien, therefore maybe even something dangerous.

And whether he literally was born abroad or is literally ineligible (even being born abroad wouldn't make him ineligible, of course) is irrelevant. He is not a real American and doesn't belong here.

Then they're surprised why Asians and Hispanics don't vote Republican more.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2009, 05:43:24 AM »

RED NECK PILE ON!

Incest and bad teeth
The Ex-Factor
xfactor99
Viet Nam

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -6.43

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2009, 05:55:39 AM »

Public Policy Polling didn't believe this number, so they added a birther question to their poll of Virginia, and well...

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://twitter.com/ppppolls
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies